The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Ammar vs Cellini topit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
I have been wanting a topit for a bit, and I just bought a new suit so it's time to do it. I thought I would have Fabric Manipulations put the topit in as I'd like to have someone who knows what they are doing install it.

I have a Cellini pattern for a topit as I was impressed with that. I see Fabric Manipulations is using a Ammar pattern. I don't really have an opinion on that as I am not familiar with what exactly the Ammar pattern is. If anyone has an opinion on the Ammar versus the Cellini pattern for a topit I'd love to hear it.

And so far from reading threads on topits I'm planning on picking up Ammar's DVDs for the topit no matter which one I put in...if you have any other topit suggestions I'd love to hear them!
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2140 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
The one major thing about the Cellini Topit over others, is that there isn't really a way to unload it in front of your audience. With the Ammar, and I assume other similar topits, you have the pocket access. This isn't the case with the Cellini as far as I'm aware. If this isn't an issue for you, I've heard good things about the Cellini and Ammar. Wish I could be of a bit more help, but this will at least get the ball rolling.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
The topit installed at Fabric Manipulations is a variation of the Ammar topit, it has a great picture and description of it on the http://www.fabricmanipulation.com website.

I have one installed in one of my jackets and it is exceptional craftmanship.

The Cellini topit does not have a back to it, so objects can theoretically go behind you, it is better for heavier objects that you plan on keeping in there because of the way it is integrated into back support.

For coins and small objects I imagine both would work fine.

When I Cellini lecture he showed that his topit attaches to a vest with magnets to hold it open. The FabricManipulations one uses the flap tucked into your trousers to hold it open.
Click to visit:
Jim Stan Magic Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago Area
240 Posts

Profile of Jim Stan Magic Man
I use the Ammar version of the topit. I like being able to retrieve items from the topit through the pocket. I have one installed in all of my jackets. If you have a tailor or seamstress put one in, be careful as the quality may not be that good. I had one done about 10 years ago at a tailor shop. The quality was bad. Although it should never be seen, it still did not look good to me. I was lucky enough to find a local seamstress who worked out of her house. I took my old jacket and the info from the Ammar book to her. I could not believe the difference! It looks as though it was part of the jacket. She did a professional job. And get this, she only charged $35/each installed. She matched the linings on all the jackets. She even did a vest for $20. I also had her construct one for my tails jacket. She has sinced moved and I no longer have her address. It is a shame as she did such a great job.
Good luck.
Jim
evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
I really liked Cellini's attachment concept instead of a attaching flap...I'm glad you pointed that out. Which makes me lean towards asking to the Ammar topit from Fabric Creations modified to use a magnet instead of the flap...I really like the ability top be able to open the coat. Although with no experience with the flap, maybe it doesn't really affect anything?

I really do appreciate this advice, by the way!
silver
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of silver
I'd definitely recommend the Ammar one! It's far better than the Cellini one. It's my opinion...
ThePartyMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, UK
216 Posts

Profile of ThePartyMagician
Ammar one is the best IMO.

Also...get the Ammar Topit DVD - it's very informative, and he explains everything really well.

Kind regards
Mike
evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
What I'm currently looking at is the Ammar topit but with the Cellini attachment instead of a strap. I've sent my suit off to Lynetta at Fabric Manipulations and talked to her about it...she's going to see if she can make it work, and if not I'll go with the Ammar strap. I have to admit I truly want that magnet - not having the suit attached to my body would be a nice thing.

And thanks for the DVD reference - I do need to get one!
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5417 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
The cellini topit has 2 sides...you can load or unload from either side...also you can go into the pocket and into the topit with out a problem...why is the Ammar topit better?...i have both and seems to me cellinis is much more versitile?...
Scott Horn
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, TX
395 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Evan,

Several years ago I had Lynetta Welch install a topit for me, unfortunatly I'm too fat now to wear it.... Anyhow, the plus is that Lynetta knows what she is doing and structurally reinforces the topit. A tailor working off a pattern wont know this "enahncements." In additon, I believe Lynetta has "all" the various patterns and can install any version you wish. You may be able to combine features.

I met her at Magic Live and she is very pleasant to talk with.

Scott
evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
Hey Scott! How are you!

I talked to Lynetta on the phone to explain what I wanted and I was also really impressed with her. I'm really looking forward to seeing what she delivers!
Ricardo_magician
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Ricardo_magician
Hi I prefere the Ammars topit as it is easy to unload and I just like it overall.

Ricardo the Magician
sullivanl
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of sullivanl
Also, you may want to look into the Ramon Galindo's topit, I bought the pattern and the idea is great, although the instructions are a little bit coplex. This topit does not leaving a hanging fabric piece like the Ammar, Cloutier, or JSB topit does. It is all self contained and very "clean" looking so you can close it all up when not in use.

http://users4.ev1.net/~rgalindo/web/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Ammar vs Cellini topit (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL