The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » I NEED SOME CLEAR ADVICE!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
W.F. Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of W.F. Lewis
Okay, folks, on Feb. 18th I am performing two 30-minute shows as volunteer work for my company annual meeting.

One show for ages 2-5 and another for ages 6-8.

I have performing experience. I just never do kids shows. I have been researching this in this forum as well as KidAbra. So I don't need responses like, "Do a search on this topic and you will find related questions", or "Check Out the Forum at KidAbra". No Offense, it's just that while I am waiting for responses to this post, I will be researching this further.

What I need from you all is Clear, Concise, and Efficient list of effects that can be purchased for this show.

-I have a budget of about $100 dollars my company is providing for supplies.

-I would like to be able to use some of the props in my normal show.

Thanks so much!

I look forward to your responses!

By the way, if you could please tell me where you would purchase each item based on your experience.

Regards,

Willie Lewis
WayneNZ
View Profile
Special user
New Zealand
960 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Willie,

Please list some of the effects from your normal show. That will make a good starting point for any advice.

Cheers.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
You can't go wrong with PB & J. Just about any magic site will have it. If you don't want to search for it just go to penguinmagic.com
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
OK, Willie, I won't send you hunting elsewhere, but a little more info from you can help us all very much.

You said that you have performing experience. What exactly? Some of what you have can be adaptable and is no doubt in your comfort zone. You would be surprised.

Second, how many kids (approx) will be in each session? This will help us determine the visibility factor of the things we recommend.

Without going any further, I would probably recommend a DVD and some minor props rather than spending it all on "stuff". This would get you up to speed quickly on performing in this age venue.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
W.F. Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of W.F. Lewis
Wayne,

I am currently doing standard classics: Cups and Balls, Professors Nightmare, Card Effects and Coins as well. Strictly Close-Up. Bill Switches, Rubber bands, TT's, etc.

ChiChi,

Forgive me, I have read tons about PB and J. Just don't know how long it is. Will that one effect alone last thirty minsutes? I noticed it would wipe out most of my $100 budget.

Glod,

I agree I will be able to use some of my standard material. You are right about that.

There will be about 50 kids.

I also think the DVD advice or a book is kinda what I am leaning towards. ALA David Ginn or Sammy Smith.

Keep 'em coming!
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Hi Willie,

You seem like a skilled close-up performer.

First, you can use Professors Nightmare as a kid's effect. As a starter with music, it looks quite OK.

TT can be used in conjunction with Dye Tube. And you can use Dye Tube to as a sucker effect where you will 'teach' them how to change the color of the silk. I would put TT and Dye Tube as one of the starter effect with music and carry on with a 'teach-in'.

And, get Dan Harlan's "Pack Small Plays Big - Kids' Birthday Show" video. There is a segment on balloon twisting so that adds some variety to your show. There are a couple of nice tricks there too.

Dye Tube and Dan Harlan's video will cost you about $30+ and that leaves you with $70.

Get a couple of 'real' magic items like egg bag ($15+), Dream Bag as closing effect ($40+). Pretty much a full show.

And, just and idea for you, I have a 'back-up effect' where I will do some card manipulation (or card tricks) and end with changing the card into mouth coil.
-----

Joseph Then

Singapore Ventriloquist
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
If you search for PB & J you can find it for around 25 bucks, I think. You can easily make that one effect last 5-10 minutes if you want to.
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Whoa, chichi711, where can you find PB & J for just $25? Let me know.
-----

Joseph Then

Singapore Ventriloquist
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1779 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
"Forgive me, I have read tons about PB and J. Just don't know how long it is. Will that one effect alone last thirty minutes?"

Willie, not trying to bash but based on the above statement. I really have to question your related performing experience. You cannot take any single effect and stretch it to a half hour especially not for a kids program. They will not stand for it.

General advice would be have plenty of interaction. Everything I do in my kid routines involve personal interaction with at least one participant or the group.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2005-01-25 12:12, Joseph_Then wrote:
Woah, chichi711, where can you find PB & J for just $25? Let me know.

If you want to search for it, watch the tricks for sale area on this forum, or other forums. Watch E-bay, etc. You can find it for around $25 to $30 if you wait long enough. I think I paid around $27 dollars on e-bay for mine.

I just looked at e-bay ,and right now a PB & J is for sale for $29. It has around $5 shipping also.

I thought Penguin sold PB & J for around 40 bucks, but they have it for $26. Get free shipping and you still have 74 bucks left. I guess, on second thought, if you watch e-bay and the forum you migh be able to find a used one for around 15 bucks.
W.F. Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of W.F. Lewis
Tboehnlein,

No Offense taken. I didn't think the PB&J was a 30-minute effect. I guess that was my way of reminding the person who posted that I have a limited budget and would like to use it to maximum capacity. Not on one $75 trick.

I do understand it is used by many children's performers, though. Wish I had the money.

WHAT do you folks think about Rocky the Raccoon? Easy skill to acquire?
Good to do to music?

Thanks.

Quote:
On 2005-01-25 12:28, chichi711 wrote:
I thought Penguin sold PB & J for around 40 bucks, but they have it for 26 dollars. Get free shipping and you still have 74 bucks left. I guess on second thought if you watch e-bay and the forum you migh be able to find a used one for around 15 bucks.

Is this QUALITY product?
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Consider the following:

Sponge balls - $5
Silk Vanish - $5
Chameleon Silks - $5
Magic Coloring Book - $10
Milk Pitcher - $15
Needle Through Balloon - $10
Linking Rings - $30
Dove Pan - $30

Most of these effects can be modified to fit both age groups as they are very clean and visual. The silk effects, needle through balloon and linking rings can also fit nicely into an adult show (with the proper modifications to patter).

You may also be able to perform the professor's nightmare and cups and balls, which you already own.

The above effects will take some time to perfect, but should give you more than enough material for a 30 minute show.

Above and beyond the tricks, however, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, take the time to learn how to perform for kids. They are a very different audience than teenagers or adults. In fact, many people underestimate how difficult it is to perform for children. Spend as much time as possible on the presentation aspects of your act and you will have a great show.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
I hate to be "that guy" but my advice is, "not do shows for free." But that's just me. I second the Dan Harlan video suggustion.
Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Catharines, ON. Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
Here are a few (cheap) children's effect I have personally had success with at parties:

Change bag -- with solid and polka dot hanks

Cut and restored rope

Torn and restored napkin -- using a mouth coil for the final production

Duck/rabbit silk

Dove Pan -- to produce a pan of candy

Hippity Hop Rabbits (although a little pricey)

Gaz-inta bag -- followed up with needle through balloon (kids love the bag due to the changing colours)

Hope that will help you out a bit.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I think the best thing you could do is buy a few Silly Billy lecture notes: Performing the Perfect Kid Show Trick, Kid Show Kliff Notes, and How To SOlve the Top 10 Problems of Performing for Children.

Those three are great to show you how to use the effects you already know and make them work well for kids.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
W.F. Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of W.F. Lewis
Quote:
On 2005-01-25 13:10, wizardofsorts wrote:
I hate to be "that guy" but my advice is, "not do shows for free." But that's just me. I second the Dan Harlan video suggustion.
Edd

Oh,
This is one of those volunteer things that "looks good" for our Board Members if you know what I mean.
fredpaulbailey
View Profile
New user
Fred
51 Posts

Profile of fredpaulbailey
Tenyo's What's Next $22.50 Available most magic shops and on-line

Spelling Bee $40.00 from Hank Lee http://www.magicfact.com

Super Needled Balloon $9.50 Available most Magic Shops and On-Line

Snowstorm in China $5.95-40.00 Available most magic shops and on-line

Split Deck $7.50 Available most magic shops and on-line

Linking Rings Junior Set $10.00 from Hank Lee

Just a few ideas for you to consider...
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2005-01-25 12:48, Willie wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-01-25 12:28, chichi711 wrote:
I thought Penguin sold PB & J for around 40 bucks, but they have it for 26 dollars. Get free shipping and you still have 74 bucks left. I guess on second thought if you watch e-bay and the forum you migh be able to find a used one for around 15 bucks.

Is this QUALITY product?

It is the exact same one that I use. I have never had any problem with it. If I had 100 to spend it would be my first purchase. Second purchase would be the Dan Harlan tape that everybody is talking about.

One other thing. L&L had the video on clearance awhile ago for 8 or nine bucks. YOu should be able to make that 8 or 9 bucks last a half hour even if you are a horrible magician.
Wolfgang
View Profile
Loyal user
TEXAS
221 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang
Quote:
On 2005-01-25 13:10, wizardofsorts wrote:
I hate to be "that guy" but my advice is, "not do shows for free." But that's just me.

My advice is the opposite. While money is a great reason to do a show, there are other worthwile reasons. Do a show because an old woman in a nursing home never gets visits from her family. Do a show because a terminally ill child may never leave the hospital. Do a show to help out a friend. Do a show because it will make someone smile. Do a show because you love magic.
"Sure, I do Scotch and Soda in every show. What? You mean there's a trick by that name?"
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
597 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Quote:
On 2005-01-25 11:05, Willie wrote:
Okay, folks, on Feb. 18th I am performing two 30-minute shows as volunteer work for my company annual meeting.

One show for ages 2-5 and another for ages 6-8.

Willie Lewis

Willie we'll pray for you Friend.

Ron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » I NEED SOME CLEAR ADVICE!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL