The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » I NEED SOME CLEAR ADVICE!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
If you already know some tricks you should already be set.

Kids have a lot of fun if you announce that you are going to turn this yellow silk into a blue one but when you do it it actually turns pink with flowers on it! And you say "Oh dear, it's never done that before! Must be my new transmoguflopulator. I hope it's not going to do it again!" But this time it shreads into ribbons! Oh dear! etc..

Like that it's not just showing off, which kids aren't all that impressed with, but it's funny too! And the focus is not so much on how you did it. So it's sort of a double layer of misdirection.
W.F. Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of W.F. Lewis
Quote:
...we Pray for you friend

Thanks,
I am looking froward to the fun I am gonna have.
I just want to take extra precaution. The last time I made a quarter arrive in my nephews ear, he began trying to stick all of his money in his ear, he's a 2 year old.
I am guessing it is never a good idea to do a Bite out Coin with a two year old.
I could have all kinds of children trying to eat there coins.....
Dr Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Sparks, NV
154 Posts

Profile of Dr Magic
You need to get down to the dollar store and get some tricks for your act.

That's what I do.

Dr Magic
:carrot: Smile
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Do take note, Willie, the advice and suggestions are just meant for you to do a decent kid show for charity.

You cannot use them for full paid show. It is just not good enough.

This is especially true for Dan Harlan's video. Not that I don't like his video, it's just that you cannot just take that wholesale for a show, clients will never like to hire a magician for kids party and that magician arrive with just a suitcase. I usually take his video's items as backup tricks, which currently residing in my car boot.
-----

Joseph Then

Singapore Ventriloquist
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2120 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
I'll second the change bag(35)....a VERY versatile prop. Also get a silver sceptre(18) to use as your wand, make yourself a bouncing hanky(5...tops), and buy a ballerina hank.(20).
With these props, you could have a string of effects like, vanishing silk (I'm presuming you use a tt already) appearing & vanishing in the changebag with a can-do / can't-do routine, bouncing the silk off the floor, then trying to blow your nose with it, and it flits away (In ballerina mode).
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
chuckg
View Profile
New user
los angeles
13 Posts

Profile of chuckg
If a few dollars is what you have and you only have to do a 30min.show twice then spend a couple of bucks on a simple metal pail that you can hold in your hand for miser's dream(something like a champagne bucket) the routine does'nt have to be overly hard just make sure to have one of the kids from the crowd "pull a coin from thin air" as well(ala Jeff McBride) trust me it will kill,also if you can get a change bag w/handle try the "not the pink balloon" routine it's simple on one side of the bag you have a few different colored balloons(animal balloon type)w/a pink one on the mix and instruct the helper that they can pick any balloon the want except the pink balloon;now on the other side of the bag is nothing but pink balloons,after showing the various colors you change the bag over to the pink only side when they reach in they will of coarse pull out the pink balloon;with a little mugging on your part this will be a lot of fun the way to end this routine is simply have the crowd say the magic word(what ever you want that to be ) and have the helper reach into the multi colored side and pull out a non pink balloon
W.F. Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of W.F. Lewis
Thanks, folks, you have been great!

ChuckG, I really dig your method of advice giving. Not Sarcastic. Thanks so much.

Joseph_Then, thanks again. I love the disclaimer.

With this information and all the other threads related to the same subject, I should have sufficient information for what I need to do.

Wish me luck...
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Willie,

For $100 you can put together a 30-minute kids' show with

ABC Stung
Alphabet Deck of Cards
Rabbit in the Hat Puppet
Comedy Egg Can
Bubble Gum Mouth Coils

Just my two cents.

Good Luck.

Rob
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Do the Miser's Dream. Costs nothing.

Do the comedy Cut-and-Restores rope. Costs nothing (may the price of rope if you don't have any).

Do the rope through the body. Costs nothing.

Do an egg bag with a paper bag. Costs nothing.

Do liquid in a newspaper. Costs nothing.

Do clippo. Costs some rubber cement and baby powder, if you don't have these.

Just with the above one can do 30-minutes.
Dennis Michael
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Willie,

I will certainly wish you luck, but -- for God's sake -- do NOT do this show; from your posts it is apparent that you are just not ready for this type of work.

Some performers think that kids' shows are a "snap".

They are wrong! Doing a kids' show WELL is one of the hardest things you will ever do in magic.

It takes a very special person to do it. I hope you are that person, because you are obviously going to go ahead and do it no matter what more experienced people might say.

But life is too short to make EVERY mistake yourself; you HAVE TO learn from others.

Many never do that.

I only hope that you aren't one of them.
W.F. Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of W.F. Lewis
I am sure this is not going to be a snap. I DO take every word you guys have said into consideration.

I also should explain the nature of this show, since now I am more aware of the actual situation I will be in.

I am an employee for a fairly small credit union. During our annual meeting, the kids will have the option of going to a separate room to have there face painted, or make macaroni necklaces, or see some tricks by a magician. It is kinda like a 24' x 24' carnival.

It turns out that the children will have a choice of whether or not they want to come over to my "station". I may do a trick for two kids, or I may do a trick for ten. They will not be forced to sit through a full show.

This was just decided today, because the organizers wanted the kids to be able to choose what they do while there parents are in the "boring" meeting.

I have brought it to the organizers' attention that you folks have advised this is a difficult show, and they seem to still want me to do it.

I love kids, I know most of them anyhow. I have an excellent skill for "making lemonade out of Lemons".

I appreciate the advice and the warnings.

Regards,

Willie Lewis
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
If you are going to have a station in a room that has lots of other activities going on then you may not need a 30-minute show, just lots of close-up. However, at some point, you may have so many children crowding your table that you may want to sit them down on the floor and start a little show. Be prepared to do 15-minutes of stand up material for a small group, ala "birthday party show."

I suggest bringing a bag of rubber bands so you can teach the "jumping rubber band" trick when you get tired of performing. Also lots of 3 foot lenghts of rope to teach them how to tie a knot without releasing the ends (by crossing arms first) as well as other rope tricks.

Be thankful that you are off the hook doing a show for 2-5 year olds. That's just too young for magic.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
You turn any magic trick you already know into a great kid show trick if you know how to present it for kid consumption. Again, I strongly recommend the Silly Billy lecture notes for teaching just how to do that. If you only get one of the three, I would say, read "How to Perform the Perfect Kid Show Trick."

Good luck,

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
The situation you described can be a VERY DANGEROUS environment for the inexperienced kid show performer. You will have to have strong control over the angles at your "station", and don't think for a second that the kids will be standing nice and still, two feet from your table, with their hands in their pockets. These are kids with a natural, healthy curiosity.

Without proper audience control, you will be swarmed and the kids will be all over your props. Kids will try to sneak in behind you for a better look at what you are doing. Some kids are also going to naturally keep coming back to your "station" while ignoring everything else around them. This may affect the repeatability of your effects and eliminate any time for reset.

So think ahead. How are you going to control this situation? I really don't care if the client "really wants" you to perform the show. The key question is DO YOU HAVE THE ABILITY AND EXPERIENCE TO DO IT PROPERLY?
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
W.F. Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of W.F. Lewis
Magicman845,

Sure I do. Thanks for your concern.

=)

I've even had kids try to reach in my pockets. They will do about anything, won't they?

Oh, by the way. I checked out the Dan Harlan tape you guys mentioned.

We need to start a thread on how many different hair-do's he has had.

Good tape.

Thanks, Dan!
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
The best advice I can give for this situation is to make sure that you look the part. The kids will behave (and enjoy) your tricks MUCH more if when they approach, they see a magic looking space, and a magic looking magician.

You need:
1. A magic costume that sets you apart as entertainment.
2. A magic table that occupies your performing area (You would do well with a buskers type waiters tray stand or a Mark Wilson style table)
3. Magic looking space (a couple of NICE posters on the wall, or a curtain backdrop)

If you could borrow a nice sounding sound system, then play some magical background music (something a bit mystical, not to hyper up the natives, but rather something that would appeal to their inquisitive side )

Do all these things and you will have a successful show.

Enjoy!

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
Jonty the Magician
View Profile
New user
West Yorkshire UK
73 Posts

Profile of Jonty the Magician
If you want a video recommendation, try 'Children's Magic, The Terry Herbert Way'. Terry has an amazing way with kids, and his tricks are straightforward and simple. I don't know if you can get it in the States, but you can buy it from http://www.practical-magic.com here in the UK. Worth every penny!
Dr Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Sparks, NV
154 Posts

Profile of Dr Magic
Quote:
We need to start a thread on how many different hair-do's he has had.

At least one was a hair-don't.

Just fooling. I have no particular hair in mind I just couldn't pass up the joke. You should see my hair it sucks.

I love Dan Harlan.

Dr Magic
:carrot: Smile
silapmata
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of silapmata
Anyway good luck to you and Remember with kid you need to
BE FUN
BE CREATIVE
& ENJOY
P.S.: I just need a few ropes, sponge balls, my break-away wand & egg ball to do 30 min show with kid.
W.F. Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of W.F. Lewis
OKay!!
I did the show!!
And all the advice you guys gave, and the Silly Billy Lecture NOtes, and the help of about ten Shriners Clowns made it a complete success!!

A lot of the effects that I normally would only do for adults were easily executed with the help of a volunteer clown!!
The kids may have been lost on some of them, but the reactions from the clown really got the kids laughing and having a great time!

Thanks again!

Willie Lewis
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » I NEED SOME CLEAR ADVICE!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL