The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » SPECIFICALLY, what are some effects in "PRISM"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
I'm sorry. I haven't yet seen a description of an effect in Prism or why people are raving about it. Can someone please offer an example of something in the book that they use or remember enjoying?
Thanks, fib
Bennettjc
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, NY
257 Posts

Profile of Bennettjc
"Desire" - I forget which book. Involves spectators writing places they've been to on business cards. One spec writes a place he'd desire to go to. Mentalist diviness who wrote what and then guesses where the desirious spectator wants to go.
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
Prism is a release of the original Phil Goldstein Color books of mentalism now under one cover and with new added illustrations. These originals are great little booklets that started with the Blue Book of Mentalism, followed by the Red Book...and so on. Each was highly anticipated by us when they came out originally and each contained very good entertaining mental effects. The original booklets now fetch a high price, and I am still not willing to part with my set.
For an example effect - The Armchair Bowler from The yellow Book also appeared in the first year of Harry and Richard's Apocalypse Magazine.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
If you want some of the best mental effects available, get the book.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
Well, that's that then. Just get the book, like we all have tons of money. I'm trying to be a little discriminating -- using this site -- in part -- because it's like tapping into a community of knowledge.

I repeat my question...any effects...no secrets... that impressed you?

fib
partyboy
View Profile
Regular user
Montréal, Québec
142 Posts

Profile of partyboy
Their reputation should be well enough to help you decide weither to get it or not. Not everybody would be running after them if the material was crap.
"communicate your humanity, 'cause that's what we all are after all : human!"
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
I disagree. Everyone runs after a lot of things, including crap.
partyboy
View Profile
Regular user
Montréal, Québec
142 Posts

Profile of partyboy
Well don't buy it if you're that sceptic
"communicate your humanity, 'cause that's what we all are after all : human!"
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2005-01-26 18:55, fib wrote:
Well, that's that then. Just get the book, like we all have tons of money. I'm trying to be a little discriminating -- using this site -- in part -- because it's like tapping into a community of knowledge.

fib

fib,
The book is material from Phil Goldtein / Max Maven, what more do you need to know besides every effect is top notch. If you are at all involved with mentalism than you should know anything he puts out is great.I repeat you cannot go wrong with this purchase, I also own the original color series he put out and they do not contain 1 bad item.As partyboy said do not get it if you do not want to spend the money and you are a skeptic.Do you want to know favorite effects, ok here goes...everyone of them.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Fib, you'll find a review in the February issue of Genii.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
Neil, thank you very much.

Fib
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
Why so much ambiguity to fib's simple question?

I am curious myself. As much as I greatly admire Goldstein/Mavens work, "just get it" does not help. Sounds too much like a 14 year old magician/trick junkie endorsement.

How about this:
What percentage of the book involves playing cards?
Is it effects only, or is there some theory as well?

Thanks to Bennettjc for not simply naming an effect from the contents list!

jr
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
I too agree with Jim's post. Fib is not looking for secrets but just as Jim say's "What percentage of the book involves playing cards? Is it effects only, or is there some theory as well?" I have purchased the book, although not received it. I know Max's material enough to know it will be worth the price of admission for me. Fib has a legit question and to again to say "just get it" doesn't fly with me either. He deserves better than this as a member. At least Bennet tried to give him the answer or result he was looking for.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
As Neil noted, there's a really thorough review in the new Genii that will more than answer your questions. It's only $5 at your favorite shop or on line (http://www.geniimagazine.com). In addition the table of contents is listed on a thread here at the Café as well as on the Hermetic Press website (http://www.hermeticpress.com/Books/PrismTOC.html). There are quite a few things involving cards but they aren't card tricks really. The introduction to each book had a lot of Max's theoretical thinking, but they're mostly effects.

I really would check out the Genii review, it will help more than anything else.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1191 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
Sorry to hijack this thread.....
Does any one know where in the U.K. I can get hold of Genii Mag?

Where I live there are no magic shops, can you get Ginii in W. H Smiths?

Alex
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Uh, hmmm, sorry, the website I guess is your only option then. http://www.geniimagazine.com
What would Wavy do?
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
The colors series is far from being exciting. a nice addition to your mentalism library, surly not a must have. just my opinion.

Nimrod , Israel
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
I have used some of the ideas for years at least 20. And I can say they gave me a good start and are the reason in part that I get paid what I do.

Cheers

Jack
Alan Wright
View Profile
New user
Nova Scotia, Canada
71 Posts

Profile of Alan Wright
Quote:
On 2005-01-26 21:35, Rennie wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-01-26 18:55, fib wrote:

fib

fib,
The book is material from Phil Goldtein / Max Maven, what more do you need to know besides every effect is top notch. If you are at all involved with mentalism than you should know anything he puts out is great.I repeat you cannot go wrong with this purchase, I also own the original color series he put out and they do not contain 1 bad item.As partyboy said do not get it if you do not want to spend the money and you are a skeptic.Do you want to know favorite effects, ok here goes...everyone of them.
Rennie

Rennie,

"The book is material from Phil Goldtein / Max Maven, what more do you need to know"

Obviously he needs to know a few example of the effects. That's why he asked. Unlike most of the people on this site who go by names and creators just to fit in and go along with everyone, he's not foolish enough to buy something because of hype. I think this is very smart. Especially since hardly any of the hype contains example of effects from the book. Nor are there many examples out there, descriptions or anything. This doesn't say much about the material, to me.

All I've ever heard is "Oooh these are so good, they are expensive, Maven won't let them be re-printed, they're sooooo good" but no examples of effects.

Rennie, fib asked for examples of effects, you tell him to stop looking and just go by the fact that Maven wrote it. He obviously does not feel that is enough to go on.

Have a good one.
-- Alan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » SPECIFICALLY, what are some effects in "PRISM"? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL