The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Raven (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dave.m
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of dave.m
I was not sure where to post this, I am looking for sometting that will help me with sleight of hand for on-the-spot stuff I have seen for sale - the raven - but was not sure a- what it can be used for b-if you can wear it any time. Please help-I have also heard that you can make one. please pm me if you know how this is done.
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Careful. It sounds like you are asking for exposure which is not allowed here. If curious as to what the raven is, well without giving away anything I can say that it will not help you with sleight of hand as there is no sleight of hand involved when you use a raven. It is simply a gimmick that does the work for you. So if you are wanting to improve sleight of hand with coins I assume, check out "Modern Coin Magic" by JB Bobo. This is the coin workers bible. You can find it real cheap at amazon.com. It covers all the basic coin sleights including palming, vanishes, utility moves, and routines. Best to start there if you want to improve sleight of hand with coins. Also, check out some of David Roth's coin videos. Hope this helps. If you still want the raven, go ahead and buy one, but I was disappointed with my purchase. I choose not to use gimmicks when it comes to vanishing coins.
My 2 cents. And to answer your question, you can wear the raven all day if you like.

Phil
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
dave.m
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of dave.m
Thanksfor that feedback!!
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
The raven can be use to do much more than just vanish a coin. It is great to vanish other things as well, or make substitutions... The raven video goes a long way to fire up your imagination and get more out of it.

With regards to "modern coin magic" by Bobo, I only have one thing to say: don't get the cheap version on amazon.com, get the hardcover edition. It is more expensive, but you do get 3 more chapters in that edition. Chapters that are very good for building routines! You will not get those in the soft cover version.

Have a good day!

Louis
Spanky
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City
81 Posts

Profile of Spanky
Buy the raven. It is a brilliant effect, that isn't overly difficult to get into the hang of. Also the Bat, is another magic trick, which has been called the raven sister. Look at penguin magic for more info on it though.
fizbin
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of fizbin
I would have to agree with Louis and Phil. Get JB Bobo's book Modern Coin Magic. It will serve you well. The Raven, although not overly difficult to use, does require a comfort level you will only get by practice and use. Same goes for the classic palm, etc. Quite a few "coin" moves described in Bobo's book are applicable to other objects. They cost about the same (the Bobo's book (hard cover) and the Raven). I would suggest the hardcover book as well, because of the additional info.
"All For Wonder..."
Earle M. Kelley
http://www.fizbinentertainment.com
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
The Raven is good but it usually end up in the drawer. I actually prefer the bat. The raven is really the sister of the bat. The bat came out first.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
magicnewb
View Profile
New user
USA
77 Posts

Profile of magicnewb
I have the raven and it can be used for thing like paper clips and stuff. See you can do so much more than just coin vanishes. For example, I papercliped a small card with a metal clip and ravened it.
mgical
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of mgical
The raven can be useful and I have heard of people trying to make one. However most of them end up spending more and then buying the actual thing. Inventors of tricks go through a lot of prototypes and learn how best to make something. Even if you had one in front of you to copy you would not know all of the things they learnt. that's even without getting into an ethics debate. (If we all copy it magic inventors stop releasing it and you have nothing copy. Also the raven is probably one of the few effects that has sold well enough for someone to make a living from. You want their dogs to starve! Do you?!?!)
dblatt25
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of dblatt25
The raven is a pretty cool trick, but the setup for it is ridiculous. you can only do it once , and then you have to reset the entire thing all over again. In my experience, it was not a good buy. It looks awesome when done correctly, but completely impractical
fizbin
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of fizbin
I would disagree, DBlatt.

The Raven Brake that comes with the Raven, allows for use multiple times... I do this ALL the time, and it is wonderful. The thing about the Raven is that you HAVE to practice with it. You cannot just hook up and go. I know that there are props and devices that one magician will like and another wont. The Raven happens to be one of those things that you either LOVE it or you HATE it. I happen to love it and would urge anyone who has it that doesn't use it to practice with it. Think outside the box on how YOU might be able to use it better. that's exactly what I did. And now I use it constantly along with poure sleight of hand.
"All For Wonder..."
Earle M. Kelley
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
I kept getting hung up with my Raven. I put it away. At the time, I thought I would be able to learn other ways to perform similar effects, but nothing really compares to the visualness [is that a word?] of the Raven's magic.

Fizbin, when are you going to get with me (like you promised) and help me learn to love my Raven? It's been in the box since I bought it...almost a year ago.
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
fizbin
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of fizbin
Berkley,

Anytime you want... This weekend good for you?
"All For Wonder..."
Earle M. Kelley
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Don't buy the raven yet. Wait until you understand slieght of hand and then you will know if you want one or not.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
There IS no reset of the Raven. It's always ready to go. I think it's brilliant.
kidabra
View Profile
New user
Singapore
61 Posts

Profile of kidabra
Yes I agree that the Raven is really visual magic at its best. It leaves you clean and to laymen this is pure magic.

The hook up needs getting used to and its not a straight out of the box effect.
You got to make minor adjustments and getting used to the handling.

When I first got the Raven, it laid in my drawer for some time befor I got playing around with it. Once you find the usefulness for it, its really a wonderful product.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
The Raven is absolutely genius! I feel that the "reset" is so simple. I strongly suggest it!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Quote:
On 2005-02-27 22:48, dblatt25 wrote:
The raven is a pretty cool trick, but the setup for it is ridiculous. you can only do it once , and then you have to reset the entire thing all over again. In my experience, it was not a good buy. It looks awesome when done correctly, but completely impractical

are you kidding me? Only do it once? Reset?? I must be doing it wrong then cause its always ready to go on me even in a t shirt.. Its the best gimmick I use..
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You could go all old school and practice, and learn how to vanish a coin with slight of hand. To the laymen it is the same thing and a lot less expensive to you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Expense is relative. I don't find $20 to be all that bank-breaking. Secondly, time is money - he could spend a few hours learning to perfect the Raven, or a few years perfecting the sleights in Bobos. Depending on how much "real life" encroaches on your free time, it might be a lot more "expensive" to learn the sleights.
It all depends on how serious a level of magician he wants to take it to, too.

I like the Raven. It's not automatic, it does take work, it does take some practice.
I want to go on record here and say:
I defy the notion that "a vanish is a vanish to the layman". There is no sleight in the world where you can hold your hand, open and flat, with a coin laying in it, then hold your other hand, open and flat, several inches above it, and (relatively) slowly make the coin vanish with the straightforward motion you use with the Raven. Presentation is key. No hand washing necessary, no false transfers, none of that.
I think it's a benign but naive mix of condescension, generalization, and underestimation of the "layman", to think that it all makes no difference to them.
Perhaps in some cases this holds true, but I refuse to accept that sentiment as generally true.
The Raven is simply a tool; a good one, that can indeed be re-used and reset, maybe not as immediately as some might like, but with practice, quickly enough. It's not what I'd call self-working, but then, nothing truely is - that's just a marketing term. (I know, I'm the one that brought that term up... I'm just sayin' ..)
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Raven (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL