The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » This is a nice item (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
I picked up a really nice item today called the "Haunted key" by Fun Inc. out of Chicago. When I first read the effect, I thought "well, ummmm, no thanks". But when I called my local shop, the fellow told me it's a solid, ungimicked, old fashioned looking skeleton key. He said if I didn't like it, I could return it. "What the heck, it's a sure thing" I thought.

I got it in the mail today with some close up props. By god, that little item is a fooler !! It can be examined at any time in the routine, and even though I know how it works...it fools my eye. The key slowly raises up on it's side and then down again at your will, it completly turns over if you wish and I came up with a way to make it do a half circle as it lays flat on my palm.

Do yourself a favour, get a "Haunted Key" it's an effect that never wears out, it's made of steel and it's done any where, any time, completely surrounded. Very nice, very nice indeed.

~Rick~
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
It is a very nice thing. My friend probably has one of the COOLEST presentations for the key that I can't share because it's his but man....what logic. I have a mondo nifty idea for the key as well.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
It's even better when you do it in a participant's hand! See Eugene Burger's Spirit Theater for the method...

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Quote:
On 2005-01-26 02:24, Lee Darrow wrote:
It's even better when you do it in a participant's hand! See Eugene Burger's Spirit Theater for the method...

Lee Darrow, C.H.

Or you could see the Carlyle Touch DVD by Francis Carlyle who BTW also sells specially well balanced haunted keys for the effect.
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
Lee,
You hit the nail on the head that is exactly what I was going to try to add to this. But I have a few other touches like letting the spectator hold your hand and wrist to make sure that you are not doing anything funny. They actually end up doing the work for you. Or doing it on the side of a table at a restaurant.
Have fun with this one Rick.

Kris
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I actually have the participant hold the key and do the whole thing in a completely hands-off manner. Ideomotor response (the body reacting to suggestion) does the rest.

This is one of my very favorite effects to perform, especially for skeptical people and for students. They will walk away thinking that you are some kind of Jedi Master! And that kind of thinking leads to more bookings!

Thanks for the kind words!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
gareth123
View Profile
Loyal user
Rotherham UK
245 Posts

Profile of gareth123
I perform an haunted key routine with just my normal house key.
*is tihs migac or am i sineg aonhter wlord in wihch i nveer lvied UNTILL NOW*
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
The HK has been in my drawer for some months now. When I bought it, I couldn't seem to get it to go without it speeding up toward the end and I thought the method actually looked obvious. You saying it deserves another go?
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Quote:
On 2005-01-26 13:42, gareth123 wrote:
I perform an hounted key routine with just my normal house key.

Then you surely live in an old barn LOL
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
gareth123
View Profile
Loyal user
Rotherham UK
245 Posts

Profile of gareth123
"Then you surely live in an old barn LOL"

No just buy the Dixie Dooley Seance DVD for the methods.

gareth
*is tihs migac or am i sineg aonhter wlord in wihch i nveer lvied UNTILL NOW*
Agathon
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Agathon
Barrie Richardson has a very nice addition to The Haunted Key that makes the key turn around in your closed fist. It looks really creepy. He sold the special something at his lectures.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Quote:
On 2005-01-26 14:36, The Mighty Fool wrote:
The HK has been in my drawer for some months now. When I bought it, I couldn't seem to get it to go without it speeding up toward the end and I thought the method actually looked obvious. You saying it deserves another go?

Absolutely, my friend! The real secret to doing this in your own hand is to actually try to keep your hand still. Just THINK about the motion of the key... picture it in your mind... feel how it wants to move...

That's the secret - don't try to consciously make it move, just think about it and be a little patient.

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
It's like using a ouija board. Don't physically move, but think it. It will move.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
sarcophilus
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix
195 Posts

Profile of sarcophilus
Does anyone know of a manufacturer or company that sells a nice authentic looking Haunted Key. I love the effect and perform it. But I want a better looking key. The one I have is shiny and silver. I know I know I can age it, but would just rather find one made for this purpose...
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Hit up a good locksmith for something called a "Mortice Key." You may have to shop around a bit. Also, check out antique shops. Often they will get in old keys that go with old doors, etc and sometimes people use them as decorator items in their homes.

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
sarcophilus
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix
195 Posts

Profile of sarcophilus
Thanks very much for the info Lee...
SHOC
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
72 Posts

Profile of SHOC
Locksmiths can be very helpful as they are always have old keys on hand. Often times they just dispose of them and are happy to give them away.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » This is a nice item (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL