We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Himber/Goshman idea (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

popec
View Profile
New user
WA, Australia
56 Posts

Profile of popec
Hey guys, jeez I love coin magic Smile This is my first post here! But I often read the other posts, just never gotten around to posting, I'm also relatively new to coin magic.
I recently watched "Revolutionary Coin Magic" -Sankey. I was fooling around and I had an idea I thought I'd like to share it with you. I'm not sure if it's been talked about before. Anyway, imagine this:

You do the Himber vanish from Sankey's video. The coin does one revolution and lands on the outstretched pinky.
You separate the hands, one clipping the coin with the pinky. The coin concealed under loose fingers.
The other hand forming a fist where the coin is supposedly held.
Open epmty fist.
Open fist with coin, but use Goshman pinch.
You are displaying now both hands empty with the coin in pinch.
Then from here you could do a number of things. A couple of ideas being Sankey's simply coin production from Goshman's- from rev coin magic.
Or Sankey's idea of Le masque load from pinch instead of from classic palm. I think that's Sankey's idea. Smile
So basically, it's just Himber-to-Goshman

What do yous think?
Could this be my first original vanish/production?
Hmmm, p.s. there are some better ways to do this than I described.
SOHartist
View Profile
Loyal user
Ft. Myers, Florida
211 Posts

Profile of SOHartist
So basically your saying do a vanish with a coin and put it in a clip position, showing the hands empty, then producing it?
Well, it's not original, but it's a good idea. Good job. Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I wonder if that really is "Himber's" or did he learn it from someone? I use it a lot.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
I have been known to occasionally use this idea at the end of my spellbound routine, concealing the one in the pinch, and displaying the 'changed' coin.

There are lots of applications for this move -- another is what I call the Tenkai Load, there is probably another name for it somewhere though -- it is basically a Vernon load from Tenkai pinch.
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
Adam Keisner
View Profile
Veteran user
London
335 Posts

Profile of Adam Keisner
Pete - Bobby Bernard told me he pretty much helped refine what’s now called the Himber vanish. The story being Richard Himber was showing Bobby his new vanish and thought it looked best to the spectator from a side view(I don't recall which side), also he apparently used to let the coin make quite a few revolutions before cupping the hand and clipping it with the little finger. Bobby suggested doing the vanish head on and only allowing the coin to make one turn, which is how it should be done according to Himbers book. Personally I think it looks best just allowing the coin to drop with its own weight, without any extra force, the retention looks better, for me anyway.

Adam
popec
View Profile
New user
WA, Australia
56 Posts

Profile of popec
Ah, righty Smile Thanks for the responses.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Gary Oulette credited Himber with the vanish but I never learned where he got that information. T. A. Waters (on one of the Stevens coin videos) says he is not sure if it was Himber's.

Given that we credit Max Malini with the fingerpalm concealment (that's a laugh) I think it's fine if we lay this at Mr. Himber's doorstep in the absence of other data...
popec
View Profile
New user
WA, Australia
56 Posts

Profile of popec
Hey! I'thought I would make a little vid of that move for fun Smile

Now that I've see what it looks like from spectator perspective, I'm not sure that it's very good Smile It might look better with practiced body language. I'm an amature so I'm not very good at that yet Smile
This trick is a little limiting with angles too.

Anyway, here's the vid Smile
http://members.dodo.com.au/~popec/Himber-Goshman-Pope.MOV
right clikc save target as. I think you need "quicktime" to view it.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3027 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Popec,

That works. A couple points: It is probably the camera angle, but we could not even see the Himber vanish. After the vanish, releax your left hand back to your side. It looks suspicious hanging there.

The rest looks good to my eye.

Dan
Click to visit:
popec
View Profile
New user
WA, Australia
56 Posts

Profile of popec
Hehe, yeah, looks a bit odd. an "empty" hand just sitting there Smile
Hmm, my camera just doesn't seem to pick up the coin falling, budget! Smile
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3027 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I don't think it is your camera, but your camera angle. Your camera is below your hand, so your catching hand is blocking the coin fall.
Click to visit:
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-02-01 09:42, Dan Watkins wrote:

After the vanish, releax your left hand back to your side. It looks suspicious hanging there.

Dan, you're a great coin manipulator and handler, but I don't entirely agree with your view on to let the right hand relax back way down to ones side..
I'll reasoning here re the 'why'..

First let me say, I've seen a couple of your routines at your site, and they all look great and are done outstandingly well, but I also noticed, you often do use that *relax* position, where the hand hangs down relaxed at ones side, whilst concealing 'something'..

You're not the only one doing this Smile

I would say, it depends on what's follows!
I mean the movement that follows.

This means, one can't *relax* naturally ones hand letting it hanging down, if VERY shortly therafter that very same hand has to be rised again for a following move/guesture that 'needs' the hand back up again..

Just my way of looking at this..

Re popec's clip, the Himber/Tenkai/Goshman pinch, the fault is not that the hand doesn't drop, but that the elbow of the right hand doesn't 'rest' at the body, but there is a large space -a cramped space- and this is telegraphed..

IF the right overarm was 'resting' at the body, the hand could get more relaxed, it would have a relaxed look and as the hands right therafter (after the vanish) are shown palm up, it -Just IMHO- would be wrong first to let the right hand with the coin in pinch drop..

Just my view on this..I don't say I'm correct, but these where my thoughts when I saw the clip and that would be the way I would handle that vanish, IF I would use it..
The vanish is nicely done, though also the dropping of the coin from the right maybe should aimed for a more relaxed handling/position..
It's often the *getting into it* and *getting out of it* that is a problem for many performers..

Quote:
On 2005-02-01 10:06, Werner G. Seitz wrote:
IF the right overarm was 'resting' at the body, the hand could get more relaxed, it would have a relaxed look and as the hands right therafter (after the vanish) are shown palm up, it -Just IMHO- would be wrong first to let the right hand with the coin in pinch drop..
Maybe I should have explained it better.
It's all in the 'rythme'.

The right/guilty hand -in case of the vanish in question- should drop slightly, but NOT at ones side, just slightly so the elbow -after the coin is dropped and the left is raised slightly- can rest against ones body..

Why NOT drop the hand all the way?
Simply because of the old and well known rule, that the eye (the specs eye) follows the moving hand..and in case of the right drops all the way down as well as it is needed later, the distance 'down' is much larger then the lefts 'emphasing' to hold a coin, which by the way slightly should jiggling/shake the non existing coin (2 to 3 shakes)..

IF not going for an immediate retrieval/production of the coin BOTH hands can drop relaxed all the way down after displayed with open palms for a moment!!!

THEREAFTER one can go for a production..
Try it out in front of a mirror..I just did..

PS. BTW popec your doing *kind of a get-ready* when getting ready for the move.. Smile
Do a coinroll instead with your right hand and when ending up with the coin between forefinger and thumb go into the himber-vanish..
Don't place the coin into your left first, and place it into the right in order to do the vanish..just a 'thought'...
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
popec
View Profile
New user
WA, Australia
56 Posts

Profile of popec
Your obviously clever thinking men Dan and Werner. Thanks for the input, very thoughtful! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Himber/Goshman idea (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL