The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Pass videos: Kaufman VS. Krenzel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Hi Everyone,

I would like to buy a video on THE PASS and I am stuck between 2 choices
- Richard Kaufman "On The Pass"
- Ken Krenzel Vol.4 "The Pass"

So my question is; which one would you recommend and most importantly WHY? (pros and cons)

Thanks in advance

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
Get the Krenzel video. Ken executes the move like noone you've ever seen. Kaufman makes it look very robotic,tense and unnatural.

On the pass is probably the dullest video I've ever seen. I nearly fell asleep within the first few minutes. Plus the right hand grip he tells you to use is stupid. IMO

Euan
Mr. X
View Profile
Elite user
U.K.
440 Posts

Profile of Mr. X
I recommend Gary Oullets video plus book on the pass, as his size hands are similar to mine, small. This was a great help as the first vid I purchased was Krenzels, whose hands are akin to that of a Yetis and thus useless to the average bear unless intelligent practice is your forte.

J. Swain (taught the pass by Krenzel) has some great modern variants in his video series.

Good Luck.
So much to do. So little time.
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
The Krenzel video will be most useful to you if you already know the mechanics of the classic and herman passes, but need tips and advice on how to properly execute them. He basically gives you the do's and don'ts, and shows you how they are supposed to look. In his hands they look perfect! But, I felt that he truely failed to break down each step of the pass for beginners. He tries, but only breifly. But it is still a good video if you want tips and variations of the pass.

The Kaufman video does a better job of breaking down the mechanics for the beginner. However, the problem with this video is that I don't like Kaufman's left hand thumb action while executing the pass. It complicates the move, making you have to worry about more things. However, he does a good job explaining how it works. He also gives some nice variations and tricks utilizing it.

I have read Gary Oullet's book on the pass, and it is very good book indeed. Well written and helpfull. I have not seen the video companion, so I cannot comment on its effectiveness. They probably do make a good combo.

So, as far as I know, no one pass video is better than the other. The best advice I can give you is get both Kaufman's and Krenzel's videos so you can compare and contrast them and develop a style that's comfortable to you.
Or, you can buy the Oullet book and video combo. The book is good, but you still need to see the pass in action in order to learn it properly. Anymore opinions on the video?
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I agree that Ken Krenzells video on the pass is great, but I suggest first, getting Brad Burts teaching on the pass. Then get the Krenzell tape.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
David Fogel
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota
87 Posts

Profile of David Fogel
Which video you buy depends on what you are buying it for.

I originally bought the Krenzel video, but ended up exchanging it for the Kaufman video. I wanted a video that TAUGHT me how to do the pass. In this regard, Kaufman's video is clearly superior to the Krenzel video. As mentioned above, Kaufman breaks each pass down step by step. Then shows you how it should look at full speed.

There's no doubt that Krenzel performs the pass beautifully, but I didn't want a video that merely showed me how great somebody could do the various passes. If this is what you want, by all means buy the Krenzel tape.
davidfogel@attbi.com

"I'm not a praying man, but if you're up there, Please save me Superman!"

Homer J. Simpson
rnr00
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of rnr00
I learned the pass from Brad Burt video on the pass. It is a great video for beginners. He goes through every aspect of the move. I was very happy with it.
good luck
rick Smile
mattpuglisi
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
321 Posts

Profile of mattpuglisi
I think CardGuy said it all! Thanks Frank! Smile
Lack of invention is the mother of necessity - Robert Nozick

Instagram: @matthewthomas00
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Hi again,

I never heard of Brad Burt before, where could I get his video (I checked Daytona Magic, and they don't have it!!!)

Thanks

Ronnie Lemieux
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
Tony445
View Profile
New user
Bayside, New York
1 Post

Profile of Tony445
Hi:

Yes, I'm replying even though I haven't seen any of the videos, but I was lucky enough to see Ken actually perform the pass this past weekend at Card Clinic in NYC and it was truly an amazing thing to watch. His movements are so incredibly natural that you never for a second guess that anything unnatural has happened. I don't know what the video is like, but *** can Ken perform that move to perfection!

Best,

Tony

Smile
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I totally agree with Frank (Cardguy). I have both. Get Krenzel's if you're already a bit familiar with the moves, Kaufman's if you're not. So if you're a total beginner, get Kaufman's and then get Krenzel's to learn the additional touches.

The Ouellet book& video and the Burt video are also very good, but of course you asked only about the other two.

The Burt video can be had from Brad Burt's Magic Shop in San Diego. He also has a website.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
Quote:
On 2002-09-18 00:51, Scott F. Guinn wrote:

The Burt video can be had from Brad Burt's Magic Shop in San Diego. He also has a website.

Here is a direct link to Brad Burt's teaching videos: http://www.nexternal.com/bburt/?Target=p......oryID=18

I have not seen his video on the pass - but do have two of his other teaching videos which I was happy with.
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Hi Ronnie,

I am new to card sleights and I bought the Kaufman video. I cannot compare it to anything else as I've not seen any other demonstrations of how to perform passes. In my opinion the Kaufman video has given me enough knowledge to learn the different passes (which will take time!!!!) so I can become competent.

At this stage in the game I would certainly say that it is a very good video and even in one of the slow-mo playbacks it is hard to see Richard "do the move"! Quite impressive.

Cheers,

Beetroot
clsaxn
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of clsaxn
Brad Christian also has a good section on the Pass in one of his ellusionist tapes.

In another, he has a really excellent section on the riffle pass.

-James
Rod Lages
View Profile
Loyal user
Brasilia, Brazil
250 Posts

Profile of Rod Lages
I have the Ninja 1 from Brad Christian and it´s a nice way to start learning the Pass. Riffle pass is awsome.

-Rodlages
"Confusion isn't Magic" - Dai Vernon
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
Although I have never met Brad Burt, I have dealt with him on the phone years ago. He is one of the nicest guys I have talked to and if his pass video is similar to his flourish video, Brad is a very good teacher.
ME
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
I have no interest in starting a riot but, in my not at all humble opinion, the ancient and unsubstantiated belief that the pass is the keystone of card magic is a load of ... oops, never mind. The word I was about to use has no place in a genteel, family friendly place such as The Magic Cafe.

The pass probably originated among sharpers as a way to neutralize the cut before dealing. It has its uses. No doubt about that, but one can earn (and deserve) a fine reputation as an entertainer with cards without ever doing a pass.

Sure, when I started out, I bought into the gospel of the pass. I spent many hours learning to do it well and many more hours learning some of the twelve thousand variant passes.

Then, one day, it dawned on me that many people could do a relatively invisible pass but very few, if any, could do a pass that didn't scream, "Some kind of funny stuff just happened." My change in belief may have started when (and this really happened) Ed Marlo said to me, "Sid, do a pass. I haven't heard one yet today."

In summation, go ahead -- learn a pass. It will do less harm than (say) air pollution and will give you something to talk about with the guys at the magic shop. However, there are so many easier, less detectable controls. Learn a few of them instead and use the time and energy you save to learn how to entertain.

And, if anyone asks, I'll deny that I ever said any of this,

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
gamma105
View Profile
Regular user
City of Evil
150 Posts

Profile of gamma105
what do you guys think about Dingle's pass? in his tannen's vid also his "complete works" book? i have the vid, i watched it, it is almost impossible to see, it's beautiful. I also read the book, but for some reason, i'm doing something wrong, i have a very visible pass Smile so i dont even use it.....
Bwals
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Bwals
Dingle, Swain, and Krenzel are the pass "all stars". I simply don't believe there is an "invisible pass". I believe that with the proper misdirection and technique no one will see it or register it. But even the pros give tell-tale signals that I can see. I wish I could do it like them, because they do it best, but the idea of an invisible classic pass (at least when the hands are being burned) is a farce. It CAN go by unnoticed, and economy of motion and speed can be very instumental in this. Just some thoughts.

I am obsessed with the pass. It is a love hate kind of thing!!!
Perfect practice makes perfect
Lo-Key
View Profile
Loyal user
Earth
225 Posts

Profile of Lo-Key
You should take a look at Peter Duffies pass its's about as invivible as it gets.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Pass videos: Kaufman VS. Krenzel (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL