The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Pass videos: Kaufman VS. Krenzel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
MField2000
View Profile
Special user
Hastings, East Sussex, England
590 Posts

Profile of MField2000
Mike -- If you use Cassford's technique, beware of the possibility of exposing the break on the upper long side of the deck when it's turned parallel to the floor.

Matt Field
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Good point as that was one of my problems, but do you mean perpendicular? I thought it was just that I was a bad "breaker." I try to use misdirection, a slightly higher rock and use my thumb to hide it, but you bring up a solid point.

I also had to shift the left hand backwards when I pulled 1/2 of the deck downwards to hide my left fingers. It seems Cassford relies on misdirection and angles, which work but I prefer to hide that move a little better. Derek Dingle's book gave the idea of shifting back the left hand to hide the finger drop.
MField2000
View Profile
Special user
Hastings, East Sussex, England
590 Posts

Profile of MField2000
Mike -- Yes, I meant perpendicular. This problem is not dealt with by Cassford, he does not give any references (it's a Krenzel move), and he flashes like a -- well, you know -- when he does the move for spectators on the street.

Still, if it works for you ...

Matt Field
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Sounds like I should view the Krenzel instruction to work on that weakness (and I'm sure I have MANY others.) It's a strong sleight and I could make it cleaner.

Matt, thanks for the insight.
danielchua
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
119 Posts

Profile of danielchua
As a beginer I think Pass with care did a good job in explaining the pass to me. I Had ninja 1 , Kaufman pass but I learnt the most from Pete's Pass with care. It was carefully broken down, shown from various angle. Ninja 1 seconds my list and I only watch Kaufman's on the pass once as I don't think he has broken the pass mechanic down to suit the beginers. IMHO, if you are a beginer get Pass with Care!!!

Quote:
On 2003-12-05 17:33, MField2000 wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-12-04 18:05, Justin R wrote:
Does anybody have a review for the dvd "Pass With Care" by Peter Cassford?

I reviewed it in the November Genii magazine.

In my opinion it stinks. The review explains why.

Matt Field
rsummer27
View Profile
Loyal user
South Carolina
225 Posts

Profile of rsummer27
The best pass that I have ever seen was on the Lee Asher video Well Done. He didn't teach it but he said that he was doing a pass during the old video that was included at the ending of the current video. He didn't give any explaination to the pass, he was demonstrating another move. I have watched the tape many times over and still cannot see how he did it. Does anyone know which method he used?
Ralph
Giggles the Clown buys all of his
supplies at www.madhattermagicshop.com
Super Low Prices on Videos and DVDs!
abraham
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of abraham
I vote for Krenzel, hands down. His pass looks @$%@#%^ Smile
"V"
View Profile
New user
UK
53 Posts

Profile of
The Pass is becoming a bit of a stumbling block for me - I accept that there are other controls that may get the job done, but I hate giving up on learning something new. However try as I might I cannot make the Pass invisibly... I've managed to get the "mechanics" of the move down pretty well, but finding a way to cover it happening has been a real sticking point.

Add to that the frustration of getting "The Devil's Picture Book" video for Christmas and seeing Derren Brown do pass after pass more or less in passing (pardon the pun) during the course of a single routine - all of which I missed until the explanation section...

Arg.

I don't want to give up trying ("That's not the spirit that won the empire young fella m'lad" etc) but I do feel a bit stuck at the moment. If any tips could be forthcoming I would appreciate it.
JHodgeCMI
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington State
352 Posts

Profile of JHodgeCMI
Sid that was beautiful! You almost had me in tears.

-Jay
SeanJohn
View Profile
New user
Finland
52 Posts

Profile of SeanJohn
Well I've got only the Kaufman's tape and so I can only recommend it.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Quote:
On 2003-12-24 00:26, rsummer27 wrote:
The best pass that I have ever seen was on the Lee Asher video Well Done. He didn't teach it but he said that he was doing a pass during the old video that was included at the ending of the current video. He didn't give any explaination to the pass, he was demonstrating another move. I have watched the tape many times over and still cannot see how he did it. Does anyone know which method he used?
Ralph

I just viewed that tape over Christmas and too was "astounded" at Asher's pass. It indeed was very clean. Too bad he didn't discuss it on his tape. It looked like a fast riffle pass.
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
As a lot of people said, Kaufmann is very clear on each step, but I think the way he does his pass in not mine. I learned it (with very profit) from the Ouellet's book "the pass" (never saw his video companion). I strongly recommand the book. The books have the advantage of letting you find your OWN position without tryng to imitate the exact moves of hands that don't belong to you (if the book is good enough, of course...)

Dingle "video-published" a pass (very well explained with five "not to do" advices) in a tape published by Mayette (France, D. Duvivier.) I guess you can ask for it at http://www.mayette.com (It's called "etoiles de la magie moderne: Derek Dingle")
He did that as a "bonus" after all the tricks he explained (what a bonus!)
He is near invisbility, whatever angle you look from.

Anyway, Kaufmann and Dingle do the pass with the deck held quite high in the hand. It's not my way of holding the deck, so I had to work a way to do it as softly, but with the deck held deeper.

Smile
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I recently purchased Krenzel's video so now I can commment and compare. His pass is indeed noteworthy and he continues to show you many variations under Ouellet's "assistance."

This is not a tape for a beginning passer, someone who wants to better understand the grips, steps, and other components of the pass including securing a break and misdirecting before the pass. Krenzel tends to show, gives a couple tips on how to do, and Ouellet asks some questions for further explanation but the explanation is not as deep and fundamental as Pass with Care. So if you currently do not do the pass, then I highly recommend Pass with Care. I would have been frustrated with Krenzel's tape if I would have started there.

If you have some experience, then I highly recommend Krenzel's "The Pass" tape as he gives you MANY more options and explains when to use them. With some pass foundation already learned, you can figure out that which he does not note. He also refines the sleight a bit, for example he shows how to improve the way of setting the cards before you secure the break.
Nikos
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of Nikos
I have Pass with Care and it is a very good video. Peter Cassford breaks it down quite well. While the production is quite bland, instructional quality is more than enough to get on you on the way to learning the mechanics.
I have Kaufman's On the Pass as well and it is also very good. Richard teaches several different methods and then includes a few routines that utilise the Pass.
Despite having these references to refer to I still have difficulty performing this move. I practice in front of a mirror and cannot hide the fact that the two halves of the deck actually come away from each other. I don't seem to be able to stop my hands seperating too far apart.
Shadowzen
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Shadowzen
It sounds like you're gonna need to buy a lot of stuff to do the pass well!!

I'd definitely try Krenzel's video first and try to learn it his way, as he has the best looking pass IMO. I wouldn't want to bother with learning inferior methods unless I had to.

I'd also advise you to consider practicing the pass while drunk, after a cigarette or coffee, or in other states of mind. While it doesn't really help your reflexes it can sometimes give you the touch of creativity you need to make something work.

The problem most people have with practicing the pass is that they just keep repeating the wrong actions over and over. The fumbling effects of various (legal) drugs can lead to slight changes to an action that may lead to positive results.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Pass videos: Kaufman VS. Krenzel (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL