The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Card Fictions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dan84
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of dan84
Anyone got this book? Is it worth getting?
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Yes. Definitely.

To elaborate a bit, while there are only seven effects in the book, they are seven well-thought out, performance tested, finely tuned effects. While you probably won't use all seven of the effects, there is much to be learned by studying each of them. All seven of the effects are excellent. I found one that I immediately wanted to add to my repertoire, plus another two or three that I want to play with. The others just didn't fit my style. In addition, the two essays provide some good food for thought. So my recommendation would be to definitely get it.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
ragtop
View Profile
New user
california
58 Posts

Profile of ragtop
I just received my copy Monday so I can't give a complete review....but so far I like it.

At first I thought the book was kind of small for the price (less than 100 pages I believe, maybe 6x8 inches) but it is a beautifully produced book. Glossy paper, very nice photographs, nice binding and embossed cover. I have not read all the effects, but I do like the thinking behind the presentations.

Color sense is my early favorite, you feel the colors of a dozen or so cards through the table ending with feeling the suit and value of the last card....
bprattmagic
View Profile
New user
Boston
74 Posts

Profile of bprattmagic
In my opinion it is one of the best card books that has come out in the past couple years. Although there are only 7 tricks, the thought Mr. Hartling puts into each one is immense. Definetely worth checking out.

Ben
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Thank Olsson for the great review

seems like an interesting book..

cheerios
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
shahin
View Profile
New user
Germany
89 Posts

Profile of shahin
It is not a review. olsson just copied the table of contents from pits website http://www.card-fiction.com

if you want a review check genii,as well as magicmagazine.

S.-
jrandcc
View Profile
Regular user
New York
141 Posts

Profile of jrandcc
Card Fictions is definetly an example where quality is superior to quantity. This book has only 7 or 8 tricks for $40, but the routine are well structured, entertaining, and really amazing all at the same time.

Defintely a recommended book.

Also, although the routine are all excellent several of them are very difficult, so its important that you should have some background of card magic.
George Bleeks
View Profile
New user
Belfast, Northern Ireland
94 Posts

Profile of George Bleeks
As soon as I had read the first effect in the book I realised that I had already got more than my money's worth. This effect has gone straight into my repertoire. The remainder of the book was just bonus after bonus. This is one of the best books I have bought for years.
George Bleeks
John Pezzullo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sydney AUSTRALIA
354 Posts

Profile of John Pezzullo
If I'm not mistaken, Pit Hartling is in his mid to late 20's. His work exhibits a depth of knowledge and a keen understanding of magic that I find 'scary' - scary in the sense that given Pit Hartling's relative youth, I can't begin to imagine the 'stuff' that Pit will create and develop over the next twenty years or so. In my opinion, Pit Hartling is destined to become one of the 'future masters' of our craft.
"One arrow. One life."
Frantz
View Profile
New user
Poitiers (France)
5 Posts

Profile of Frantz
Hello,

Quote:
In my opinion, Pit Hartling is destined to become one of the 'future masters' of our craft.

In my opinion, Pit Hartling is already a "master of our craft !... ;-)

His little book "Cardfictions" worth every cent, it's a very nice little book...

Very cordially,
Aerie24
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Aerie24
Have just read the sapnish translation. Very good and direct effects, but some of then aren't easy at all.
dam0n
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of dam0n
Anyone purchase this book from pit hartling's website itself? There are several resouces out there selling it for a slightly cheaper price and was wondering if it was worth getting it directly from him.
kamus
View Profile
Veteran user
Silver Spring, Md
369 Posts

Profile of kamus
If it's a good book, and it seems like it is, it's worth it to give the originator a little more money rather than having it go to a middle man.
il illegetimi est non carborundum

http://www.davidkanemusic.com
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4955 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
How difficult is it to perform the effects in Card Fictions by Pit Hartling?
Do you need gimmicks or advanced stacks?
Can you find the effects in any videos?
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
As I remember, none of the tricks in Card Fictions are on the Little Green Lecture Video. And, the tricks (with basic card knowledge) are not hard to master. The hardest thing in the book (in my mind) would be loading a folded card under a watch. The first two tricks in the book are worth the price of the book and aren't hard to do. The most as far as stacks go you would need a half stack memorized, but you don't even need to have the second set of 13 stacked. One of the best card books I've ever read.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
No gimmicks or stacks, just a few faro's and you are all set. An exellent book worth every penny.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Erik J
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
417 Posts

Profile of Erik J
Well, for "Unforgettable" you need a memorized deck. Anyways, I strongly recommend this book, great material. I use High Noon, Concinnati Pit and Colour Sense.
This signature is approved by Erik.
dam0n
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of dam0n
I second De Flare and all others, his essays also point out to practical concepts which can be applied to your own work. My favourites are color sense(is almost practically impromptu...plays strong...relatively easy...) and finger flicker.....triple countdown and unforgettable
Furniture
View Profile
Elite user
London
415 Posts

Profile of Furniture
In my view this is one of the gratest magic book of the last 10-20 years. A must have!

I am in love with Sensing the colors and Fingerflicer. Have look to my blog for a link to Pit Hartling performing finger flicker. http://furniturecorner.blogspot.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Card Fictions (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL