The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Favorite close-up opener (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
When I do open with cards, I sometimes use
Eddie Fechter's - "That's It". (which admitedly violates several of my own rules for an opener)

I use it because it is short and gets a great reaction. Everybody's grabbing cards at the end of that trick. There is no pulling teeth with this one.

Another good thing about it, is that at the end, the misdirection is very strong because the focus is on the cards that are laying on the table instead of the selection.

I usually top-change at that point and then go into whatever seems to fit the ocassion.. card under drink, card to pocket, the ambitious card, whatever. Since they "know" you're holding the selection and you're NOT (after the top-change) you're way ahead of them. To me it seems that you have ample misdirection to pocket the selection and either take another card off the deck as the
"selection" or even just thumb over a card halfway as the "selection".

blah, blah, blah,

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
About cards,

I just saw an apalling movie with Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen. They are on some kind of island trip, and there is this annoying uncle of their's, who keeps trying to impress the the local, bikini-clads with card tricks.

It seems that the "pick-a-card" scenario is the first one employed when it is time to satirize magicians--whether it's movies or what.

So it is the hackneyed feeling that seems to drive the desire to not open with cards, and this feeling is one shared by me as well.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
It is a very common feeling that card tricks are done by the crazy uncle. I did see that movie a long time ago too.

And they will get the pasteboards from me, as soon as they have had a few other things.
I won't overdo it with cards though, maybe two short effects in a fifteen minute run.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2002-10-03 12:06, Ron Giesecke wrote:
About cards,

I just saw an apalling movie with Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen.

What's appalling to me is that you would WATCH a movie with the Olsen Twins! Ron! Boohby!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I have met a few people who open their tableside sets with the ball and vase. Not the plastic Adams/Royal magic set, but the larger, wooden, "could have been owned by Hofzinser" style.

At first, I was skeptical, but when you see it in action, you realize that basically, it's a chop cup, only better. You can still do some killer final loads, and the magic all happens elevated above the tabletop, due to the design of the prop. Add to that the larger size of the ball, and you've got increased visibility.

Also, the gaff on the B&V allows you to both vanish and produce the ball, as opposed to the chop cup, which really only facilitates productions.

So, now there's something else to fixate and obscess over...who makes the best tablehopper's ball and vase? Brass or Wood?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Enigmo
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Enigmo
Hello everyone!

This is my first post!

I think that any examinable rope routine probably fits the requirements listed above. I personally often do my own adaptation of Daryl's Rope routine as an opener. In a restaurant environment, it is highly visible by many tables, it allows me to interact with spectators, it can be shortened if needs be, it clearly establishes me as a magician.

Not fittin the no coin material, I personally will also often open up with a 3 coin routine. When they see the first coin appear, I know they are thinking, he had it in his hands but as the others appear and disappear and reappear, their jaws start to slowly drop...
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Good Idea Curtis,

Plus alot of folks know the secret so you can give them the "don't tell them the secret wait till the shows over and sell it to them" Which is very funny in itself. I like the ball and vase myself, even though its a bit too popular.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
sebbyg
View Profile
Regular user
Cherry Hill, NJ
119 Posts

Profile of sebbyg
Sponge balls are the ultimate opening effect - Not only are they visual magic with eye catching props, the put the magic in the spectators hands and engage your audience; they can hold touch and experience magic in their own hands.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Just to add my 2 cents on the whole opening effect discussion... My personal philosphy, isn't to walk up to a table a tell them your a magician... show them.. Do something, fast and visual, grabs their attention and is over in 3 seconds and leaves them wanting more.. then you can introduce yourself.. I like to pull a rainbow streamer out of a TT... grabbing a d'lite from some location works well too. I find this approach is more likely to work then the magician who walks up like a used car salesman, and tries to talk them into letting him show them magic.
stevehw
View Profile
Veteran user
Collinsville, Mississippi
303 Posts

Profile of stevehw
I will open with either sponge balls, color changing knives or the popular crazy man's handcuffs.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Quote:
On 2002-10-13 22:25, Geoff Weber wrote:
Just to add my 2 cents on the whole opening effect discussion... My personal philosphy, isn't to walk up to a table a tell them your a magician... show them.. Do something, fast and visual, grabs their attention and is over in 3 seconds and leaves them wanting more.. then you can introduce yourself.. I like to pull a rainbow streamer out of a TT... grabbing a d'lite from some location works well too. I find this approach is more likely to work then the magician who walks up like a used car salesman, and tries to talk them into letting him show them magic.

Thats how I fell into the China Change/English Express opener. In 10 seconds its over, and your hand is in your pocket for the ditch and to pull out the next effect. One handed and short sleeved, its a jaw dropper for the layperson. I realy am looking for something fast and effective like this.
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
I use the bare hand salt vanish and production.
aka "lota salt"

i worked the handling out when I forgot my t.t. once a long time ago
salt you can get off any table.
this fit the bill?
Michael MacDonald
q
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of q
I open with coins usualy by producing them 1 at a time via Ammar's move to load your hand with a coin as you take one out. Then using flash paper for the 4th coin, then I go into coin stuff.
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
I start with Fast & Loose. It sets the tone for my show (lots of con artist stuff), it gets a great reaction, and I can do it in my sleep.

Jim Morton
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I start with Sticky Situation. Before you even do a trick, you are looking for a place to stick your gum; You restore the chewed gum back into a stick, then into a wrapped stick of Juicy Fruit, or whatever. Great surprising opener. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
DJP
View Profile
Veteran user
London
391 Posts

Profile of DJP
Do many of you open with D'lite, i am trying to work out an effect where i can link this to a sponge ball production if i can- just an idea at the moment.

What could you do to open with a D'lite?

Dave
David
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Excluding coins and cards I would open with my cord and finger ring routine (with my own ring or a borrowed one) or my rope and ring routine with a 3 inch metal ring. Normally, I do a three silver dollar production followed by vanishing them one at at time and finally reproducing them one at at time. The three ball (similar to Roth or Thomson) routine is also a great opener. Another good opener is the $100 bill switch. Smile
kull_spider
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
115 Posts

Profile of kull_spider
I find that I tend to use gimmicks as my opener, such as Sticky Situation and LipSmacker Smile
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
For table hopping, I almost always open with a ring and string routine. I use my wedding ring, and it's part of the patter. This way I don't need to borrow a spectator's ring.

On the rare occasion that I don't open with that, it's my version of Roth's coins across, which builds in impossibility with each coin.

Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
shammond
View Profile
New user
Ohio
56 Posts

Profile of shammond
I still like CMH for starters.

I recently learned of an illusion called "Through the Looking Glass" from Peter Marruci which I think has a lot of potential for an opener.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Favorite close-up opener (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL