The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Closeup routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mayo
View Profile
Loyal user
WorymWood
211 Posts

Profile of Mayo
I had this posted in the stage section but was informed I had it in the wrong place. So I will repost it here.
How long do closeup shows last? What would be a good estimante to make the show?
What are some of your routines for closeup shows? ( If you don't mind me asking)
"I love the night. It's the only time I feel really alive."

---Helen Chandler in the film "Dracula" (1931)
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to l
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
Depends... you can't answer that question directly. But anywhere from 5 minutes to 90 minutes. We need more information if the answer shall be more precise
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
As a gauge, a routine for the Close-Up Gallery at the Magic Castle runs about 25 minutes, whereas a close-up routine for FISM is limited to 10 minutes I believe.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I tend to do about fifteen minutes. If I am at a private party I'd have two fifteen minute sets and repeat each of them one additional time spreading them throughout the evening. Looks like for the Castle and FISM I'm screwed. Smile
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24263 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It all depends on the demands of the situation. If I am strolling at a corporate hospitality suite, a session may last only 5 - 10 minutes. In those cases, sometimes I will work for the same group of people more than once. I may perform two or three routines the first time by and a different set of routines the second time.

It is a very flexible genre, and you must be prepared to fit your work to the situation.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mayo
View Profile
Loyal user
WorymWood
211 Posts

Profile of Mayo
Ah thank you guys! I will run it for about 15 to 20. at the moment I am just trying to routine and have things flowing.
I wanted to do what Tommy Wonder dose in his videos where everyone comes in sits down for the show and he performs for how ever long. But I have only seen clips of Mr. Wonder so I never have been abe to make a graph as to how long it should last.
Thanks again guys!

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to l
steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
An additional thought on this, depending on the venue of your close will of course depend on the length, but in situations like strolling another thing to consider is how comfortable you are with the group. that's just another thought.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I know that for the Castle they told me that I had to submit 15 minutes. I don't do many close up "shows". Most of your close up venues are going to be strolling parties or working restaurants...it's just the breaks of close up. After a while you may be asked to work a convention or two where you'll be able to do what Tommy Wonder does.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
That's 15 minutes for your audition.

When I auditioned there were 21 others auditioning the same day; do the math. They stopped me half-way through my 15-minute routine.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Actually the rule for the Castle is 15-20 minutes for the close up show and shoot for 18 minutes. Please don't go over as it messes up the schedule of the other shows and we need time to move the crowd, seat them, get their drinks and then on with the show.

That being said, there are a number of performers who "don't get the memo" and cannot be trained. Often, they are not asked back. I am currently scheduled for May 16-222, 2005 in the close up room.

Kirk G
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2005-01-28 13:39, Mayo wrote:
Ah thank you guys! I will run it for about 15 to 20. at the moment I am just trying to routine and have things flowing.
I wanted to do what Tommy Wonder dose in his videos where everyone comes in sits down for the show and he performs for how ever long. But I have only seen clips of Mr. Wonder so I never have been abe to make a graph as to how long it should last.
Thanks again guys!

Depending on what you are planning you may be getting the wrong information here. When I am hired for a private party - I only do adult gatherings, no children’s' shows - I anticipate performing for about 25 - 30 minutes, since I am expected to be the main entertainment for the evening.

However, if you are planning to present a formal show, where your audience pays to attend and is seated for the single purpose of watching you perform, then you'd better have 45 - 60 minutes of very solid material. In other words, if you are the only attraction and people are coming in and sitting down to watch you [only] then the show will need to be longer than the estimates you are receiving here.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Mayo
View Profile
Loyal user
WorymWood
211 Posts

Profile of Mayo
45 to 60 minutes! Smile.. Thank you I will be working on that when I get back from church then, woah lol, that is awhile! It will be fun learning the matieral and entertaining though so overall I will enjoy this Smile Thank you.

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24263 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Don't try to learn a 45 minute show straight away. If you are just getting into close-up, you may find it difficult to hold the attention of an audience for 45 minutes. Learn a 15 to 20 minute close-up act. Then learn another one. Then learn a third one. You can call these "chunks."

You can take these "chunks" and put them together to form a 45 minute to 60 minute act with definite high points and "builds." Remember that most venues are not sit down venues. That is, you will generally have to perform standing. And that has its advantages. For one thing, there are more places that you can perform.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mayo
View Profile
Loyal user
WorymWood
211 Posts

Profile of Mayo
Thank you Bill, that is a very good idea, and I will take it to heart. Also, I should learn to perform standing? So I should not get comfy with my cups and balls and mite should focus on easier things to carry? (I.E ThumbTip, cards, ect.) This is going to be interesting getting into closeup.
Thank you all for your time spent helping me. I will be working on my routine. Which actually just posted the cups n balls patter in another thread.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......0&12

That should take ya too it. Let me know of what you think, any critsisim that is constructive is very much welcome.
I thank you for your time.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Closeup routines (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL