The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Need your help. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
Hi everybody

I've done quickserach but found nothing so I thought it might better to ask.

Well I first start magic because iwas interested in mentalism, and then I clung with cards, coins , just close up magic, and a few years later I am still there, the reason I never started mentalism was, I always thought mentalism needs special effort.

Now that I do some magic, I am looking to learn some mentalism just to top my effects when performing, as we all know mentalism is the one that baffles people most.

So what do you guys recom, where should I start , on learning some basic but effective mentalism?

Your comments are valued

Thnaks in advance ;-)
peace, love and kindness.. no terms and conditions

1001 Magic Nights Blog
www.kasrani1.wordpress.com

http://www.kasrani.com/
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Theres already a good post on the subject, do a search.
but Ill say it for everyone....
13 STEPS TO MENTALISM by Corinda is the BIBLE of mentalism...you can search and search, but you'll have to reckon with this work of art if you wish to advance in the field.
respect.
Baba
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
Read novels by Steven King.....Read Magic and showmanship...
Learn from Uri Geller.

And remeber that it is about what people remeber. Don't let them remember you as a good magician.

Cheers

Jack
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1190 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
That's some dam good advice Jack.

I too will reccomendation for 13 Steps. don't be put off by its age or its size, you NEED this one.
Alan Wright
View Profile
New user
Nova Scotia, Canada
71 Posts

Profile of Alan Wright
I will say 13 Steps to Mentalism as well, but I'd like to talk about it a bit.

13 Steps is not a just a book of effects. It's full of them, but that's not all that's in there. That shouldn't be what you buy it for. 13 Steps is an excellent introduction to mentalism. I find that I don't actually use many of the effects from the book. I use more of the ideas and principles from in there. That's not the whole point of the book.

This excellent book is devoted solely to leading you into the world of mentalism, as the title would suggest. After reading the book through, I found it took me right from magician to mentalist. And by this I don't mean, of course, that suddenly I was a great mind reader. I mean that it changes your mindset. It helps you look through the more sophisticated, stronger eyes of a mentalist, and leave behind the tired old peepers of the magician you, hopefully, no longer are.

This book immerses you in the whole field of mentalism and will give you the powerful boost into mentalism that ever beginner needs. The book immediately gives you a mentalist feel, and will change you for the better, helping you become the mentalist that it sounds like you want to be.

I know what I wrote above may sound a little over-enthusiastic at first. Maybe even the second time you read through. It may very well sound foolish right up until you read the book. But honestly, I cannot reccomend this book enough. It has survived through the years as the Bible of Mentalism, and for good reason.

Of everything out there you could buy, buy this.

You will never, ever regret it.
-- Alan
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1190 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
Everyone, everyone..... gather round.......if any one ever asks about "How to get started in mentalsim", recomend 13 Steps and quote the post above.
ChEeKy_MoNkEy
View Profile
Regular user
FCCL
149 Posts

Profile of ChEeKy_MoNkEy
Mr. Wright - I too am new to this...I mean magic in general, not mentalism specifically. Initially my interest lies in close up, but I am intrigued by mentalism. I felt your post to Zac Vee was very helpful and informative, but I'm curious about one comment in particular:-

"...and leave behind the tired old peepers of the magician you, hopefully, no longer are".

Is mentalism generally looked upon as being more elite or superior to other forms of magic? I realise I'm focusing on "one" sentence from your post here, but it's a "feeling" I get from some of the many posts I've read.

I'd appreciate your comments.

As I said...just curious.
Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
Hi ya again.

Thanks to all of you for the input, I will take your words on board , I am off to get my 13 steps to mentalism, and give it a go.

Cheers Smile

1001 Magic Nights Blog

calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
13 STEPS TO MENTALISM by Corinda is a very good advice - you can learn all the basics and more in this book.

Try also "Fat-free Mentalism" by Riggs.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Tnak you Alex, verry kind of you.

Cheers

Jack
Alan Wright
View Profile
New user
Nova Scotia, Canada
71 Posts

Profile of Alan Wright
Quote:
On 2005-01-29 02:37, ChEeKy_MoNkEy wrote:
Mr. Wright - I too am new to this...I mean magic in general, not mentalism specifically. Initially my interest lies in close up, but I am intrigued by mentalism. I felt your post to Zac Vee was very helpful and informative, but I'm curious about one comment in particular:-

"...and leave behind the tired old peepers of the magician you, hopefully, no longer are".

Is mentalism generally looked upon as being more elite or superior to other forms of magic? I realise I'm focusing on "one" sentence from your post here, but it's a "feeling" I get from some of the many posts I've read.

I'd appreciate your comments.

As I said...just curious.

The post which you've quoted me from is my views on the book, the way I see things. Some people would say mentalism is more elite, and superior to other forms of magic, myself being one of them. Some would die by their close-up work, and others look at both similarly, just different branches of magic, neither being the best. Everyone has their own views on the issue, and their own reasons for those views. Personally I think mentalism, when done properly, ascends the mere tricks and puzzles of your average close-up magic. This tends to be because mentalism seems more real. The feats acheived through your performances are, while still entertaining and exciting, quite possible. Magic, is not. Many people see it that way. Many do not.

That particular sentence is just one way of exressing what I stated above. It's not what WILL happen when you read the book. It's what happened when I read the book myself, and simply what I HOPE will happen when others read it as well.

The book is an excellent introduction regardless of whether or not you see mentalism as a higher form of the art of magic as I and others do. Don't think that you may not like it because you still like close-up. It's still worth buying, magician or not.

I hope this answers your question, if not, I'd be glad to try and explain it a little better. Reading my message over, I can understand that it may not be quite clear on the issue at hand.

And Psycho...

Thank you. I appreciate that.
-- Alan
Dr Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Sparks, NV
154 Posts

Profile of Dr Magic
Quote:
On 2005-01-28 16:46, Zac Vee wrote:
So what do you guys recom, where should I start , on learning some basic but effective mentalism?

I have to disagree with the comments about 13 steps to mentalism.

It is a good read but it doesn't have any routines you'll want to perform. I've read it dozens of times and have never cared to actually perform anything in it.

The Anneman stuff is MUCH more useable and entertaining.

Magicians love to refer you to 13 steps because it's not as easy to find at your local magic shop so they can act like it's the "holy grail" of mentalism. It isn't. If you read the author's introduction where he praises himself as god's greatest gift to magic you may be fooled. Don't be, the book really doesn't have much to offer in the end.

And I know who you are on this board TC. Don't bother trying to sing your own praises to me!

Dr Magic
:carrot: Smile
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Must agree with Doc. I like Teds style better. But I will say I use things from Tony
Corrinda also.

It all depends on ones abilty to look at things as raw material not just get and go effects.

I can honestly say I have reworked the things I have leared from both men. And to the point they are probably unrecognisable. But the principals still came from those texts.

Also why do people have to chose between one or the other?

Buy both.

Cheers

Jack
Alan Wright
View Profile
New user
Nova Scotia, Canada
71 Posts

Profile of Alan Wright
Dr Magic,

I already mentioned the fact that there aren't many workable routines. That's not really what's so good about 13 Steps. As I said above, it's an introduction to mentalism in general.

I don't praise the book because it's hard to find. I praise it because it's such a good book.

It's not hard to find. It's at many shops, not to mention for a very reasonable price.

It's fine if you don't like 13 Steps. It's fine if you prefer Annemann. Personally I've never been a huge fan, but many people are. But don't feed everyone nonsense about us liking to refer people to 13 Steps, just because it's not easy to find. That's foolishness.
-- Alan
Dr Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Sparks, NV
154 Posts

Profile of Dr Magic
Hi Alan,

Didn't mean you directly, sorry if it seemed that way! I just glanced through many of these posts before commenting.

I just see a lot of parroting going on in general on the magic boards and 13 steps seems to be carrying a bit too much weight as far as significance goes.

Not that it isn't good.. it is very good, a fascinating book. And yes I agree with Jack, buy both.

I certainly wouldn't suggest someone pass up the 13 steps. There is tons of great info in it. Anneman is my favorite though!

Dr Magic

:carrot: Smile
Alan Wright
View Profile
New user
Nova Scotia, Canada
71 Posts

Profile of Alan Wright
Dr. Magic,

No problem, I just wanted to make sure that you and the other readers didn't think I was just reccomending it to simply go along with everyone else.

You may be right. There may be some others who praise 13 Steps
for reasons other the actual contents of the book. This is very unfortunate, because while I do encourage people to buy the book if they are new to mentalism, I don't agree with people reccomending it just to fit in, or something similar. It's a tough thing to tackle. Do you call them on giving advice without being able to back it up, when it is good advice? People may think you are disagreeing with the advice, when you are actually disagreeing with the reasons behind giving the advice.

No matter. You and Jack are dead on reccomending both Corinda and Annemann. Good advice for any beginner. I'm not a big Annemann lover myself, but there is no denying that when you sift through his stuff, there is a good deal of excellent effects and ideas that can be used today. I still reccomend Corinda first, but Annemann is a decent follow-up.
-- Alan
ChEeKy_MoNkEy
View Profile
Regular user
FCCL
149 Posts

Profile of ChEeKy_MoNkEy
Mr. Wright (Alan) - thanks for your response. Although I have'nt studied mentalism myself I have seen it performed and I certainly feel it's a more "sophisticated" form of magic...partly therein lies the fascination for me.

Having said that, I find close up can be equally absorbing. Neither of course are "Magic" it's the skill involved, when done well, I find so intriguing....for me the "Magic" comes from the "theatre" involved in a good performance.

I would love to learn more about the art of mentalism...do you believe "13 Steps to Mentalism" would be the best place to start? Do you have any other recommendations for a "beginner"? Smile
Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
Hi ya guys, well if my point was clrear then good. I am looking for some sort of start , I mean an introduction to mentalism will be great, I am not looking for effects only, just general view on mentalism and starting point.

I was convinced to get the 13 steps, went to some book shops, and couldn't find it, they did international search is still not found in other stores as well, in England. So I am thinking to order it online. Moreover I am welling to get more than one book, so if you guys think there are a few more good for starting , please state them here and I will check them , and get them sometime.

Many thanks to all

Zac

1001 Magic Nights Blog

Stephen Thompson
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Stephen Thompson
Hi Zac

13 steps is a great book and all that.

Its no bible though. There is a problem inherent in taking the popular advice. If you do what everyone else does you will develop like everyone else develops.

I'm not a pro, a particularily well read hobbiest, or a conventioneer. So maybe, the other guys know better, but if you look at the bigger names in magic, they stay outside the fraternity. Often, they developed without much contact with other magicians and without reading the so called classic texts.

I don't really disagree with the others, I just wish that I had followed my own path and didn't fill up on other people's ideas.

S
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
I have nothing against 13 Steps, but I agree that Annemann work can be extremely inspiring and useful if you are starting in mentalism (and if you have a lot of experience too!!!)

The greatest secrets of magic, al kind of magic, are totally safe. They are sold openly at any books store, for five or ten bucks. Just where nobody will look for them. ;-)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Need your help. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL