The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A great article about Derren Brown (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Svengali
View Profile
Regular user
USA
138 Posts

Profile of Svengali
Just found a great article about Derren Brown:
http://www.jamyianswiss.com/fm/works/derren-brown.html
Enjoy...
scarbo
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of scarbo
What a great read.. thanks for posting the link!

The 'What's in a claim?' section was extremely illuminating.. I hesitate to use the word 'hypocrisy' but I'm sure there's something approaching it there, and I'm glad Swiss kept pushing the point.
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
I don't understand what all the hyp about Derren Brown is about. He has a good PR & booking agent and a good editing team. So does John Edward, so did Kreskin for that matter. Name one thing Brown does that Mr. Osterlind can't do. If R.O. decided to go the way Brown has, he'd blow Brown out of the water ! Don't be taken in by the hype, folks...Derren Brown bleeds like you and me.

~Rick~
Winnes
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Winnes
Wow, where can I get me one of those booking agents then? If that's all that's needed, sign me up and get the PR machine a-rolling.

The alternative of course is that DB is just very, very good at what he does. Quite simple really...
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
I agree that he's very good...but he ain't no Dunninger.

~Rick~
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Quote:
On 2005-01-28 21:14, RickSilmser wrote:
Name one thing Brown does that Mr. Osterlind can't do. Jesus, Mary and Joseph, if R.O. decided to go the way Brown has, he'd blow Brown out of the water !
~Rick~

this guy, Columbus, discovered America. when he got back they made a big party for him. at one point one of the guests (probably a bit drunk) called: "I don't get why you people think Columbus is so great, America was there all the time, Anyone could have discovered it!". Columbus said: "a good point actually. if you solve this riddle you'll understand: how can you balance a boiled egg on its pointy head without any aid?". everyone in the party tried to do it, lots of eggs and lots of failures. at the end they all agreed that it's impossible and asked Columbus to show them. so Columbus takes a boiled egg and smashes it on its pointy head against the table. the egg stands! this first annoying guest called: "hey, anyone could do that that way!". Columbus smiles. "of course" he says, "but I'm the only one that did".
Derren is not the Colombus of mentalism, but what he had done to mentalism hadn't been done since Geller's days. he is strongest influence to our art in the last 20 years. give the guy the respect he rightfully deservs.

Nimrod , Israel
ChEeKy_MoNkEy
View Profile
Regular user
FCCL
149 Posts

Profile of ChEeKy_MoNkEy
Mr. Leonard....I agree.

Whether Derren Brown has a good PR and booking agent..and a good editing team or not - what use would that be without at least some modicum of talent?..

Maybe some people who are talented in the field of mentalism "decide" not to "go the way" Mr. Brown has...I guess that's their "decision", but it should'nt take away from the fact that Derren did take that route and has made a success of it. Hype is hype, but at the end of the day you have to back it up with the "goods"....
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Though the point did make sense, it should be known that America wasn't actually discovered by Columbus. (Hint: why do you think they call it "America?")
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
He still can't touch Dunninger in any way, shape or form and when he's gone, Joe will still be the measuring stick for Mentalism and Mentalists.

~Rick~
malini
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of malini
Derren has something 90% of mentalists, or even magicians, don't have.

Charm, charisma, flair, and personality.

And those cannot be brought from your magic store.

****, it's probably even 99%.

-malini.
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Kreskin has a big, big, personality...he's probably in the other 1% you're talking about, right ?

~Rick~
mclare
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of mclare
Rick - I see you're from Quebec. Have you seen any of Derren's TV shows?
p.at
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of p.at
I think you are right nimrod!

and you can´t compare richard osterlind to derren brown.

my two cents
Stephen Thompson
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Stephen Thompson
Name one thing Brown does that Mr. Osterlind can't do.

What value could this comment have? Why would you bad mouth someone? What possible benefit could it have? There is no reasonable motive for such a posting. There simply could not be a positive reaction to a statement like this, so why make it?

Please, unless you have something of some benefit to say, ....
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Hi McLare...we get over 500 channels here in Quebec, we even have flush toilets...LOL!

~Rick~
mike stevenson
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mike stevenson
Why are we trying to start a rivalry between mentalists? Rick, I don't see anyone questioning your liking for Joseph Dunninger, so why question other peoples' liking for Derren Brown? And trust me, there is no hype about Derren. It's all deserved and appropriate.
MagoStevo
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of MagoStevo
I personally disagree with people comparing magician with anothers,instance like David Blaine and CrissAngel.and now Derren Brown and Joe Dunninger and Richard Osterlind.Dude....they are just different individuals.They have different approach to magic as well as presentation.Regardless who is the measuring stick for mentalism or magic,this is a FREE WORLD,dude!i am sure Mr Osterlind take the same...

afterall,"Comparison is Rude!"

having flush toilet doesn't make you a judge,so before judging other,THINK!

PEACE!
Never ever have bad thought,you never know who is listening....
darkseance
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of darkseance
Rick your posts get worse, how can you possibly say RO would blow DB out of the water, this isn't a "magic battle" grow up! both are fantastic performers. and as for your 500 channels not one has aired a derren brown programme over there
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Hey...dark seance ??? Smoke it baby...nor did I say I saw one, did I? I simply said we have over 500 channels here...smoke it again ! Derren Brown is a flash in the pan, he will not be as popular with the general public in a year as he is now...mark my words.

Hi Mike...
Don't get me wrong, that's not what I'm trying to do. Some people just don't like what I'm saying about DB...I have a right to speak my mind, because some don't agree with it, it dosent mean I'm trying to start anything. I've seen both Mr. Osterlind perform and Derren Brown perform

Hi ya Stevo...Comparing performers isn't rude...is it rude to compare movies? actors ? books ? Not at all, it's our right as the paying public. I have a sence of judgement, because some don't like what I think, it's no reason to get all testy about it.

I say what I think about gimmicks...I detest them, does that mean I'm trying to start a "war' with guys who do use them ? Of course not, I'm simply stating a like or dislike.

I've seen both performers and I think Richard Osterlind has the upper hand, he's more experienced, he's more believable, he dosen't put himself off as the best thing since sliced bread like Brown does. Mr.O is a Mentalist's Mentalist...is it ok that I think that ? Is it ok that I say that ? If not, it's a shame. I can't speak my mind without the DB fan club jumping all over me.

~Rick~
Winnes
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Winnes
Sorry to have to say it Rick, but get a grip. Your posts are either total rubbish, refer to Dunninger at every possible opportunity or boast about having a woman like some nerdy teenage kid.

Osterlind, from what I have seen (and that is only his instructional DVD's) is indeed a great performer. As is Derren. Why compare them? Same with Dunninger and Kreskin - nobody apart from yourself feels the need to compare any of them. Apart from being completely useless and void of any point whatsover, it also makes you look a bit arrogant.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A great article about Derren Brown (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL