The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A great article about Derren Brown (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Thank you for your comments, Craig. well, I adore my wife, and if more people did that these days the divorce rate would be at an all time low. By the way, how is your wife/girlfriend ?

As far as the other items go..."to each, his own", I compare things because I can, that's how I tell good from not so good. If you don't like what I write, Craig...then don't read my postings...it's that easy. Brown is there to be compared with other performers...just like you and me.

Yes, I'm very arrogant, but at least I'm honest about it...whats your excuse ? You seem to have a strong opinion of me...why can't I have one about Brown...see? it works all the way around...dosen't it ??

By the way...Dunninger is the measuring stick of Mentalists, he was and always will be the best...like it or not.

~Rick~
Winnes
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Winnes
You are probably right about the divorce rate, and it is all good that you adore your wife, just irrelevant to the discussions, that's all.

Exactly what are you basing your comparisons on? How many times have you seen Osterlind, Dunninger and Brown perform to a lay audience? If it is based on notoriety with a lay audience, Kreskin and Geller would probably beat them all.

I don't think anybody has ever questioned Dunninger's ability or legend here, but I find it hard to compare any modern performer to him. Dunninger was obviously great for his time, and nobody would dispute that.
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Well, Craig...I remember why I brought my wife up...I believe it was someone saying that I was double 20 (in age) or something like that and I couldn't come to terms with it...it was some wise guy saying it, so I told that person how it was in my life at age 48...thats it. It's not like I'm giving everyone a run down of her day, everyday.

Actually, Craig...my wife is a fantastic memory performer, a very gifted medium and a wonderful woman and if I choose to speak of her here, it's actually nobody's concern, correct ?

As far as Relevency to the topic...look at most long threads...50% of them are just guys talking back and forth getting way off topic...it usually happens half way through the thread. Look and see, so I'm not the only guilty one.

I saw Brown on video, Mr.O on video and Dunninger on video, Kreskin live, Geller on video.

~Rick~
business
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of business
Personally Derren Brown bores the crap out of me. Dullsville. I see no evidence whatever of "charm, personality, flair and personality" as Malini states. Just the opposite.I find him a very ordinary person indeed. I don't believe that mentalists should be ordinary-they should be exciting. It simply goes to show that tastes differ. Some people like Madonna and some people don't.

A poll was done of the most liked and most disliked TV personalities in the UK. Paul Daniels was on BOTH lists!

Having said all that I agree with Rick that Dunninger must have been the greatest of all time. The little I heard of him confirmed that in me. I like Kreskin too. And third on the list was Maurice Fogel. Al Koran was pretty good too.

But that's about it, I'm afraid. I can't get in the slightest bit excited about anyone else. Especially Derren who I find boring and dreary. I watched a whole programme of him once and was screaming out with agony trying to watch it. His accent and dull personality was too much for me.

I then thought perhaps it was just a one off and I wasn't being fair since you really have to see someone more than once to judge. But then I did see him more than once. Another show and other mentalists were watching him along with me. They seemed to rave about his material but a couple of the mentalists found him to be dull.

A layman I know has seen the programmes but said to me "I never watch them. I find them too boring" I suspect Derren may be better doing a live show but I certainly won't be paying to see him. His personality grates on me.

He is no Dunninger, that's for sure.
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Hi ya, Business...may I please add one more name to your list ? Richard Ireland.

~Rick~
business
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of business
I have never heard of Richard Ireland. I will keep an eye out for him. I suppose I should have added to my list Chan Canasta. He was quite something. I understand that Derren is trying to emulate Canasta from what I hear. He is making a very bad job of it. Canasta was far, far superior. He used to talk too much but then most mentalists do. However Canasta was one hell of a showman with a charismatic personality which to my mind Derren isn't and hasn't.

People mention Richard Osterlind. I can't judge him because I only saw him perform for about 1 minute and I would need to see more to form an opinion. I would also like to see Banacek work. Some people tell me he is boring and some tell me he is good.

Which goes back to my original point. Tastes differ.
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
We have to remember and keep in mind that the Magic Café is a forum. Webster defines a forum as :an assembly for the disussion of public matters or current questions. Our assembly is to discuss Mentalism, it's performers, effects, ideas, etc.

If one does not agree with the other (which happens all the time) it's up to us to remember that we are all gentlemen and must conduct ourself as such, no matter how off the wall or wacky you think the other person is.

If you have a problem with something someone says, ok...but remember, it's his or her right to voice that opinion here, this a "forum" for and about Mentalists and Mentalism.

~Rick~
business
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of business
I agree. Since the performers in question are appearing in public they must expect some public criticism.
Of their performance that is. Not their character.
I plain can't stand watching Derren work. It is just a personal thing. He grates on me. It doesn't mean that he is not a sterling fellow and charming in everday life. It just means that I can't stand to watch him perform.

I fully recognise that other people will have a different opinion of him and worship at his very feet. Tastes differ. I am one of those odd people that quite like David Blaine even though I shouldn't. I see the genius of his approach even if it is accidental.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Quote: "I don't understand what all the hyp about Derren Brown is about."

That´s the problem with all the hypes....

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Hi again, Business...I agree with you 100%, I would never, ever, get personal about any performer here or in real life (so to speak). I speak ONLY of the professional side of these people.

Hi ya, Calexa...look at the hyp the "Blair Witch Project" recieved...all it was , was some dirty mouth college kids who couldn't handle a camera properly....it was garbage, but it was made out to be the best "horror" movie of modern times and the public swallowed it...hence the over 100 million dollars it made.

~Rick~
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
But if you take the Blair Witch Project - suspend belief and believe it to be real then you have a product that works. It only doesn't work when you find out that it isn't real.

It was innovative, a little different and had a unique selling point.

Hmmm..

I personally find people comparing 'old' performers with 'new' ones a bit ridiculous. It is like people saying that Charlie Chaplin was the best comedian, when it is clear that he is not - if you put him in today's ring and he performed like that he wouldn't last five minutes. Could the same be said about Dunninger? Are people looking at it through rose coloured Oakleys? Life moves on - Derren Brown is the new kid on the block and is highly entertaining with it.

Stop living in the past grandad and get with the times. It was probably better when all this was just virtual fields too. Right?
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Salsa Dancer...if it were not for the "old" performers paving the way for guys like us...there would be no "us" doing this stuff today.

~Rick~
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
My opinion on Derren is a warm ,talented engaging performer.Some of his most recent TV stuff hasnt really rocked my boat,but I think he has done for mentalism what Blaine did for magic.Revitalised it.
business
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of business
I personally don't think Derren would have lasted 5 minutes in Dunninger's day. Or Maurice Fogel's day either. Boring is boring no matter what year you are watching the boredom in.
On the other hand I think Dunninger would have killed today in the same way he killed all those years ago. Perhaps he would have adapted somewhat and I expect he would have to the sense to know if he should or not.
However a booming voice is a booming voice no matter what year it is. A plain dull personality is a plain dull personality no matter what year it is.
The inherent talent of the showman transcends time. Sure you adapt a bit to suit the day and age you are in but the rules of showmanship and presentation remain basically the same.
No matter what time period you are performing in you should still be a CHARACTER of some kind. Derren isn't. Sorry.
And come to think of it he isn't alone. Most mentalists talk too much, do complicated stuff, are terribly long winded and worst of all have deadly dull personalities.
It was the same years ago of course but at least then a few gems were brought forth out of the mud. I don't see any gems nowadays.
Only Kreskin and Geller. But they are old school anyway.
Sorry.
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1190 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
There are people of many different ages, religions and from different lands often seperated by a large mass of sea here at the Café, we are going to disagree on some points.

I know, lets compare to things that are totaly un-a-like and see where that gets us, Chalk and Cheese anyone?...................

The greatist Mentalist of all time, who was the greatist because his audience said he was, says;
"Inside this envelope that has been in full view the whole time is my predicton of where this disscusion will take us."
With an air of smugness the mentalist pulls out an oddly folded piece of paper it reads........"Nowhere Fast!."
Fin.
business
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of business
Yes. But at least we are getting there "fast"
Most mentalists get there s..l...o...w.
By the time they get to the end of the trick you forget what the beginning was.
If some of them went any slower they would be going into reverse.
SHOC
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
72 Posts

Profile of SHOC
The people of Quebec are very fortunate when it comes to television. They enjoy about 400 more tv channels than the rest of Canada.
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Satellite...I speak of satellite TV...

~Rick~
justforeffect
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, UK
153 Posts

Profile of justforeffect
Quote:
On 2005-01-30 15:24, RickSilmser wrote:
Satellite...I speak of satellite TV...

~Rick~

Which Derren Brown programs have you ACTUALLY SEEN?
Have you ever seen his stage show?
Enough said.
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Dear "Enough Said"...LOL...have you ever heard of "video" ? Have you ever heard of "The Postal System" ? Have you ever heard of "friends oversea's" ? Look, it's my opinion...he stinks...get over it. Some like liver, some like beef, I don't care about who likes what, it's called choice of taste, everyone has the right to express it, don't take it so personally. Go back to bed now.

~Rick~
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A great article about Derren Brown (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL