The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Eddie Joseph C&B (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
337 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
Not too long ago I acquired a copy of Eddie Joseph on the Cups & Balls, a compilation of several of his booklets. What wonderful material. If you are looking for moves and routines that are NOT variations of the Vernon routine, get this book. From older gimmicked cups (such as producing fire from the cups) to moves no one is doing, from routines with no final loads to routines with multiple, mutiple final loads, this is it. Anyone else agree or disagree with this?
David
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
Many very interesting things in those books. Most of it written, I suppose, before Vernon's routine became as popular as it is today.
The problem is finding a tinsmith who can make you those rather special cups...

Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I think Joseph published three separate books on the cups and balls.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
337 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
He did, Pete, but later they combined all three into one book. This book has a lot of moves, much more than just the gaffed cups, that are not commonly found in other resources.
David
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
I found three of his booklets on the cups in a used book-box at a convention:"Advanced Lessons in Cups and Balls" and "Last word on Cups and Balls" (There is supposed to be another one in that series I think).
Plus: "The Hindu Cups", about the indian version.

Bjørn
- Winston Churchill"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24262 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have "A Practical Lesson on Cups and Balls," "The Last Word On Cups and Balls," "Advanced Lessons in Cups and Balls" and "My Favorite Routine With the Cups and Balls."

Some of the material is not very practical. I think Eddie collected cups and balls ideas like I collect cups. Some of the fellows at the Magic Circle who saw Eddie perform didn't have much to say about him. Somehow, I think when he performed at the Magic Circle, he may have had a tendency to demonstrate ideas rather than to entertain.

Nothing wrong with that, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
I used to do his multipalm routine from the "Last word in Cups and balls". The size and texture of the balls was critical though, and it wasn't as easy to do convincingly as many other routines.

There's a lot of good ideas in his books and people should experiment rather than than the current trend which seems to be trotting out variations on Vernon's work.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24262 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I agree to this extent. It is good to see a new idea in a performance of the cups and balls. However, learning to do the cups and balls (or any other kind of magic, for that matter) is very much like learning to play a musical instrument. A student not only needs exercises, he or she needs pieces to play on the instrument, in order to learn how the technical bits work. It's a lot better from the audience's standpoint to see a good performance of the Vernon routine, than to see someone doing a routine that may not be as well structured.

Once you learn a routine, you at least have something to show people, and if you do it well, they will like it.

The multipalm is an excellent idea. But it does have certain limitations. It would be very difficult to do with, for example, the 1 1/8" balls Brett Sherwood funishes with his cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
John Pezzullo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sydney AUSTRALIA
354 Posts

Profile of John Pezzullo
Jeff Busby reviewed "EDDIE JOSEPH ON CUPS AND BALLS" in "EPOPTICA" [Number 6] back in 1984. In his introductory comments, Jeff Busby wrote:

"I can't say that I've ever been very fond of Eddie Joseph's published work. He seemed to take the 'shotgun approach' to magic: Try everything and if it works, fine...if it doesn't, no matter, put it in print anyway".

In my opinion, this represents an accurate overview of Eddie Joesph's published material.
"One arrow. One life."
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
Quote:
On 2005-01-31 07:17, John Pezzullo wrote:

"I can't say that I've ever been very fond of Eddie Joseph's published work. He seemed to take the 'shotgun approach' to magic: Try everything and if it works, fine...if it doesn't, no matter, put it in print anyway".

Sounds about right to me too...
There are some VERY interesting things there, but also some very odd things...
I would not try to stuff THREE parakeets in my trouserpocket, for instance!

Bjørn
- Winston Churchill"
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
337 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
I agree this does not have the honed perfection of Tommy Wonder-but much that passes for innovation today doesn't either. There are very unusual moves in the book and it makes for stimulating thought. I believe Ross Bertram did travel with 2 baby chicks in each pocket for his C & B....
David
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
Just remember to be careful if you sit down...

Bjørn
- Winston Churchill"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Eddie Joseph C&B (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL