The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Burning initials/symbols into cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
xanatos
View Profile
Regular user
Wilbraham, MA
144 Posts

Profile of xanatos
Looking for info on available effects whereby one burns an initial/symbol into the spectator's card- I need to do it to a Tarot card (and anticipate this shouldn't be an issue, but wanted to mention it). Should include a visual fire flash- be it FP or FC or whatever...

Thanks,

Dave
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
456 Posts

Profile of scolman
Hi Dave, prepping the card could be done with a magnifying glass and bright sunny day. I have tried something similar, using duplicates of course and a card box made to look like a small coffin (to do the actual switch). Of course proficiency at prestidigation would also be a way to do the switch.
Borodin's Sheherazade also discusses various chemical compounds that can be used for spontaneous combustion. Of course the actual insignia burning still needs to take place prior to the actal performance.
Hope this helps.
Simon
jsmagus
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of jsmagus
I don't know if you would want to use this method with this effect, but the first post in the Howie Diddits thread in Secret Sessions briefly explains a solution that you can paint onto the card to burn the writing. The author is very helpful if you PM him. I have experimented a little with this, but didn't get quite the results I was after. It may work for you, though
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Does the burning need to be seen? or can it be revealed?

Sometimes the latter is stronger. See Eugene's The Experience of Magic - A Bizarre Ritual.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
xanatos
View Profile
Regular user
Wilbraham, MA
144 Posts

Profile of xanatos
Thanks for the input so far- Clifford- you woke up some sleeping brain cell for me- I seem to recall something like this on one of my Eugene Burger CDs or tapes... Might be one of his "Eugene Goes Bizzare" series.... I think a star gets burned into a card. Thanks...

Additional thoughts and ideas are still sought, in the meantime, I'll let you know if I find Eugene's thing to be the proper start.

Dave
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Eugene performs the trick you describe,but doesn't explain it(On Eugene goes bizarre-I found the series to be lacking!)
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Eugene Goes Bizarre explains certain effects, not that one, which is performed a bit differently as Retribution on the video. As I said it is in the book, The Experience of Magic, and the presentation is slightly more commercial than Retribution where he ends up slashing his wrist in guilt.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
Find some woodburning implements (stylus, etc.) at Michael's crafts or the like. They have plenty of add-ons, inclusing letters to make "brands".

Place the card on an anvil or other metal object (cast iron pan?). Heat the iron fully and write on the card.

Most of the heat should transfer to the metal object below but the surface of the card should scorch. You may need to experiment with the backing material a bit, but this should do the trick...

ajp
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Sleightly...
that's an excellent idea...perhaps the most practical, and the most definitive.

to reveal an initial, perhaps a simply engraving with a needle etc. and then employing the ol' ashes application.

anyhow, all good ideas, and Im sure to add these thoughts to my repetoire.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Do remember that a good many Quality cards, have various plastic coatings, I suggest the careful application of a sharp blade, X-acto (r) style, or such, followed by the careful sooting of a candle flame at the edges. If you wish to keep the soot form smudging, or marking other cards, then use a light coat of fixative spray from the art store.
Kay ;}
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
xanatos
View Profile
Regular user
Wilbraham, MA
144 Posts

Profile of xanatos
Hi FOlks,

Thanks for all the helpful advice- I have no problem creating the card that will be used... scorching things I am very good at- juat ask anyone I've cooked for! Smile I'm trying to remember the presentation I saw because I remember it as having a visual flash (provided by FP if I recall correctly- as I guess by the flame color), and then the scorched card was revealed. Scorching the card- not a problem- especially if I'm only using a symbol- I can prepare dozens in advance. Method for providing flash AND reveal in the same effect- looking for options. Commercial, marketed effect names are perfectly acceptable as well- I don't mind buying a few to have a few choices- even if it turns out I already knew most of each.

I'm still trying to dig up my Eugene Burger tape (think boxes- large- full of tapes...). Hopefully that will also provide a lead or two.

Thnaks again everyone,

Best,

Dave
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
831 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
One method for accomplishing this effect is contained
in the Wolfman routine in David Parr's Brain Food.

Dave
TGENTLE
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, AL
86 Posts

Profile of TGENTLE
I did something similar years ago. Except I did not use a flash fire. The gimmicked card and duplicate was controlled to bottom. The gimmicked card was glidded off and held by the spectator with both hands. I took my empty right hand under the card and rubbing my fingers together, produced a volume of smoke from beneath the card. Very mysterious. When they turned it over, there was the message.
Didn't use the Adams stuff. The old trick with the matchbook... gee, that's probably so old its new again.

Good luck, Dave

tom
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Try Howie Diddit... New post
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
xanatos
View Profile
Regular user
Wilbraham, MA
144 Posts

Profile of xanatos
Hi Tom,

Ask me about the disappearing brain cells and the get together! Smile

Dave

PS., Thanks- I'll talk to you soon- Now that I have the schedule, I'm planning on going to the Barn...
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
I needed about 20 tarot cards with an ankh-shaped hole burned in the center of them. I began by cutting the ankh-shaped hole in each of them. I then made a heat-proof mask to cover the card, except for the ankh-shaped hole. The mask was made from an asbestos-like material.

One at a time, I placed the mask over a card and carefully burned the edges of the hole with a blowtorch. The edges of the holes in the cards look burned because they really are. The heating process caused the cards to warp, so I had to press them under a pile of books for several days.

The final card (on which the ankh lies, having burned through part of the deck) is marked with an ankh-shaped scorch. This is made by using a brown marking pen.

A very dark brown marking pen might have worked for the burned look around each hole, but it would not be as good as actually burning the cards.

(As I headed into the garage with the cards during the process, I told my wife that the noise she would be hearing would be my using a blowtorch in the garage. She didn't ask my what I was doing, just said, "Be careful.")
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
ElliotLachman
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of ElliotLachman
Dunno if this has been said.

Some glues are flammiable, so if you put it on a card in the shape of something and light it the glue will all burn causing grooves in that shape on the card.

Some glues are so strong that if you just put them on the card they will eat away at the card (so cand write).

If you used the first method then you could leave leave the glue in the shape of the specs initial (as long as you know it) and then light the glue and her/his initial will apper!
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-01-30 22:12, Bill Fienning wrote:
(As I headed into the garage with the cards during the process, I told my wife that the noise she would be hearing would be my using a blowtorch in the garage. She didn't ask my what I was doing, just said, "Be careful.")

Hahahahhaha! You sound well-matched Smile

Yes, I think actually burning the cards can't be duplicated. You want the burned edges and the lingering scent of charring so there is no mistake - you are a wizard!
xanatos
View Profile
Regular user
Wilbraham, MA
144 Posts

Profile of xanatos
Quote:
On 2005-01-31 13:27, Clifford the Red wrote:
You want the burned edges and the lingering scent of charring so there is no mistake - you are a wizard!

EXACTLY! Smile

I found my Eugene Burger tape, and it is indeed his "Retribution" effect that I was remembering... but having seen it last about 4 years ago, my memory was inaccurate on the performance.

ANybody have any knowledge of an available method for burning on-the-spot for as close to an impromptu effect as possible? SHort of having 26 copies of every card with every possible letter combination- imagine THAT pocket index! Smile

Dave
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Quote:
ANybody have any knowledge of an available method for burning on-the-spot for as close to an impromptu effect as possible? SHort of having 26 copies of every card with every possible letter combination- imagine THAT pocket index! Smile

The problem with burning live is that it often uses noxious chemicals. You could carry an electric branding tool in your lap....well maybe not in your lap and maybe that's not such a crazy idea...hmmmmmm
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Burning initials/symbols into cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL