The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What would you do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Oh, I know I've rubbed a few of you the wrong way when I talk about hokey-pokey, do-dingle, don't ever use them, gimmicks and so on...but here is a good question for you.

Let's say, you're out one evening, you have left everything at home, absolutely no props with you...not even a swami and somebody says "hey you're that Mentalist I saw last week, read my mind", and all they hand you is a slip of paper and a pencil.

What would you do ? How would you amaze this person and keep your name as "Mentalist" ?

~Rick~
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Do soemthing with Equivoke, or PATEO force perhaps. Or some psychological forces, like think of a vegetable or soemthign of that nature.

Best,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
templemagic
View Profile
Elite user
Sunderland, North-East England
420 Posts

Profile of templemagic
With the slip of paper and the pencil I'd do a centre tear (any version though I like the Zen tear) ask them to think of a person write their name. Now simply do a cold reading to give more info about the person and then reveal the name.

TM
ROBERT TEMPLE
"The Power to Amaze"

robert@roberttemple.co.uk
http://www.roberttemple.co.uk
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 14 years to make
997 Posts

Profile of kcalB
If it were a man I would tell him that within the last 5 minutes that (he was thinking about sex with one of the ladies in the room), and if it were a woman I would say that she was thinking about (did she looked as good as the other ladies in the room) ....<grin>

All kidding aside, you could always find a piece of paper somewhere so I'd have them crumble it up and I'd do a paper read.

BTW,...Don't stop with the Dunninger stories.
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Mr.Black...I had hoped you would reply to this. I consider you the "Derick Flynt" of Mentalism...(remember the James Coburn movies ?) I can always depend on good, solid, down to earth, advice and answers from you. Is your theme music Peter gunn ??
It should be...

As far as the Dunninger thing goes, Joe's daughter was brought into the picture by someone who was trying to make me look bad (who by the way got his a** banned for life from the Café). So I'll let her handle anything that has to do with Dunninger. BTW, Mr.Black...do you have the Al Mann publication of Dunninger's act from the 1920's ?

~Rick~
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 14 years to make
997 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Rick, As always it's a pleasure to respond to your posts and by the way, Peter Gunn was one of the first songs I learned to play on the guitar, and to this day I'll still perform it with my soon to be formed band "Mindset"
Look for a CD in the mail if I find the time to get into a studio.

Who could forget Our Man Flynt...lol
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
One of my favourite movies, Coburn was to those movies as Connery was to Bond. Flynt was so cool...

~Rick~
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 14 years to make
997 Posts

Profile of kcalB
1965, what a year it was.....lol
I think that you'll enjoy this movie trailer.
Our Man Flint (1965)
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
darkseance
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of darkseance
Can we keep this on topic, how very unprofessional

I would do something like gene urbans petro-nym, a centre tear routine like CTelephony by james cheung if no paper or pen was at hand I would suggest the specs ring will heat up or PKtime/touches my version of "lift" god who needs a n/w, billets or other stuff, its about knowledge
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 14 years to make
997 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Sorry about that Dark, but us old folk tend to drift off at times.
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
darkseance
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of darkseance
I was being sarcastic seb, drift off all you want Smile
TGENTLE
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, AL
86 Posts

Profile of TGENTLE
I go right to Max Maven's Contimental. I have a couple of other progressive anagrams I can also use.

Tom
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Well...what I'd do in this situation is tell them it was my twin brother they saw and that everyone gets us mixed up and continue with the rest of my evening.

~Rick~
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
537 Posts

Profile of Sir T
I know people tend to lean towards the CT, which is cool but I would lean towards a peek (of your choice), I have been playing around with doing this ALA Jonny Carson's Carnack, have them write a question, you give them a funny answer before openning the paper up. OO is a good method of a peek for this, but that is me.

Why the peek instead of the CT? I perfer this, so I can give them the paper back as a keepsake, add to this I tend to seldom leave the house without a pen that has disappearing ink in it............which leads to a secondary effect after I have left. Add to this after the first effect offer to autograph the paper for them, using a normal pen!!! LOLOLOLOLO
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Rick...

THANK YOU!

I love your scenario and I've been trying for YEARS to bring this kind of issue to the fore.

Recently I met one of the gents that make some of those nifty leather wallets, card cases, etc. (Evil Dan). The workmanship is awesome and the concept behind the devices genuinely clever BUT... as Corinda and a multitude of other experienced and revered MENTALIST have said, "What would I do if I were a real Mind Reader/Psychic?"

Well, I certainly wouldn't need some kind of neat little leather wallet, card case, etc to put anything into. In fact, I'd probably not bother with an envelope... then again, if I really were "Psychic" why would I need to have anything writen down?

Recently I've become enthrawed by certain Anagram routines like "Dead Presidents", "What's Your Sign?" and the "Leath Technique"... these are some wonderful bits of inprovisation that open the door wide when it comes to those of us with a gift for gab and a fair ability to do some solid Reading type work. In fact, I'm on the verge of moving this kind of work up on my list and dropping my beloved Muscle Reading down a notch (and I've used MR under these conditions for well over a decade).

Many a newbie suggessts using bits from Banacheck's PSYCHOLOGICAL SUBTLETIES but I fear their encouragement of doing such reveals how little experience they have in real-life situations of this kind. Fact of the matter is Psychological Forces or "Commons" of this kind are based on "PROBABILITY" and not hard fact. There are many reasons for variant answers and the smaller the group you use these techniques on, the greater your chances of not getting a hit... at least that's been my experience and, if you read what Steve says in the opening pages of said tome, it's something he's run across a time or two as well e.g. you MUST learn how to use such material in a way that allows you an out... to transition away from the miss without it translating in the mind of your spectators as being something gone askew. For me, that's just too much on the spot juggling and complicates the "fun" factor i.e. my ability to enjoy doing a solid and fun demonstration in response to a challenge.

I've said for years that I can do an easy 15-20 minutes using little other than MR and perhaps a bit of psychological demonstration if the gathered group proves plyable. I can then shift into some limited Billet work (a short Q&A)if desired. That gives me at least another 10-15 minutes... in other words, you can do an entire show with out the need for props and, as I've seen in the past, anyone that can deliver 45-minutes of solid demonstration that's fun, amusing and mesmerizing is going to find work that actually pays a bit more than normal.

Why?

If you can do all that without any kind of "props" or pre-arrangement, the patrons are going to wonder how much greater your shows are. They will likewise become willing, simply as the result of your reputation, to pay 30-50% more for you and your time than they would the guy down the street using a deck of playing cards and claiming to be a mindreader... but that's another issue altogether...

Thanks for the topic!
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Hi ya, Orsiris...OMG man...what ever you do, don't put your MR aside for anything, that would be a mistake ! I like your way of thinking about this matter, it shows me that you've been around the block a few times and not someone who relys on gimmicks. Where would the gimmick Mentalist be if this situation arose ? And the sad thing about it is the gimmick Mentalists have a false sence of security due to gimmicks.

One can not consider themself a seasoned performer if one does not know how to carry out the very essence of mentalism...slight of hand steals and switches. Thank you for responding, I enjoyed reading your words.

~Rick~
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
I would do some PK effects and probably a thought of drawing duplication.
And then use the other side of the paper for a number reading and thought card effect.

I guess that would fill a half hour or fourty five minutes.

Cheers

Jack
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 14 years to make
997 Posts

Profile of kcalB
This thread is beginning to look like the makings of a wonderfull book which can explain how to do an impromptu 45 minute mentalism set on the fly without any available props.
I'd like to write a chapter on impromptu no gimmick key bending with all borrowed keys while wearing short sleeves and totally surrounded....lol (yes, it can be done)
So if anyone is up to it let's discuss it.
We can call it The Minimalist Mentalist Manifest or MMM
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
UPS lost then found and destroyed my flight case last year when I did a thing for Frito-Lay last year.

The night before leaving and the case had not arrived at the venue in Rhode Island so at 7:30 in the evening I went to the Home Depot and the Staples and bought new props for the act and was on a plane the next morning at 7:00 am.

Luckily I always keep my head set mike with me and never ship it.

I thought what in the hell would I do if my act was not to a large extent common office and home repair articles.

My new work however is taking on the proportions of an illusion show but with mentalism. So I will not be able to make this statement much longer.

Cheers

Jack
TGENTLE
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, AL
86 Posts

Profile of TGENTLE
Sebastian,

I would definitely buy that book!

Tom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What would you do? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL