The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Dream Bag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
I've been staring at my Dream Bag for the last couple of days trying to think of a routine. Nothing...nada....zip....bupkis, just the wind blowing between my ears. Anybody use this item and if so would you mind sharing a few ideas or your favorite routine?

Many thanks.

Harv
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
Well, think about the prop. What is it? It's a bag. What kind of bag, perhaps a magic bag. You could have your whole act in your "Magic Bag" and when your show is over, "Well, it seems that my magic bag is empty, but perhaps we can find just a little bit more magic." At this point, you pull the three boxes out.

You can think of this as the final load for cups and balls, but instead it's your final load for your kids show.
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Check out Arthur Stead's "The Magic in You" which works fantastic with the Dream Bag.
Dennis Michael
ChrisJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Lapeer, MI
222 Posts

Profile of ChrisJ
Harv, I am not familiar with the Dream Bag. Can you describe it a little? The only thing that came to mind was that it was a costume change bag kind of thing.

OK, I went a did a search for the effect. I have seen this before. Never performed it though.

Are you looking for a dramatic approach or comedic approach? The first thing came to mind for me was a simple story of you going to your girlfriend, mother, etc., and bringing them flowers. Produce first one. Realizing that you didn't bring flowers for the girlfriend's mother and not wanting to seem rude, you produce flowers for them, etc., etc. That's one thought. Can be played like a comedy bit.

As DenDowhy said you could do it to music as well.

Hope maybe it helps.

Chris
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Hi, Chris. Here is a link that explains the basic idea of the Dream Bag:

http://www.tophatmagic.com/item125514.ctlg

Harv
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Harv:

I took a Duane Laflin routine he uses for his Genie Tube, and use it for the Dream Bag. It's a pretty simple and straight-forward routine, but I like it because I use it toward the beginning of my show, and want something flashy and short.

The routine in full is on his "Kid Show Silk Magic Routines" tape. Essentially, I tell the audience that I'm going to tell them about "The Legend". Some people say the legend goes like this: There once was a magician who had a gray paper bag...he would show it empty...and then wave his hand over the bag and make something beautiful appear...such as a yellow handkerchief. He would reach in and then take out a wonderful crystal flower box...the same color.

Other people say that the legend goes like this: The magician would show the bag emtpy...

That's the beginning of the routine. I really like it - it works perfectly for me. I believe that Steve Taylor has an excellent routine also - I don't know anything about it, but others have said it's very good.

Hope this helps.

Ron
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Thanks, gentlemen. Some very nice ideas.

Harv
Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
I perform Dream Bag with a bag-of-plenty theme. I use a bigger bag and load it with 15 flower boxes. (The three to four flower boxes you get with this item when you buy it from the dealer will not give you enough mileage for a funny routine. There is intrinsic comedy to the Dream Bag when you produce incredibly large number of flower boxes from it.)

I perform the Dream Bag to the background of a wacky music. The seemingly endless number of flower boxes I pull from the bag becomes funnier as the flower boxes pile up on my table. On the sixth flower box, I prove the bag is empty by allowing a child to peek inside, turn the bag upside down, mime "The box is empty," and then take a bow. As the applause dies down, I recheck the bag, mime surprise, then pull another three flower boxes one after another. I then prove again that the box is empty, take a bow, then, as an afterthought, pull three more. After that, I repeat the whole sequence of proving the bag is empty, taking a bow and pulling three more flower boxes. You guessed it. It's a running gag.

Just perform it as if you're enjoying pulling out those seemingly endless number of flower boxes, and the audience will surely reward you with both laughter and applause.

By the way, for reasons I'm not sure of, the laughter and applause come more heartily from the adults than from the kids.

Leo
Manila, Philippines
TOTALLY MAGIC
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas,NV
436 Posts

Profile of TOTALLY MAGIC
I have two sets of the large ones and the one I use for b days I changed it so you can pull them out of a b day bag but the other one I use some times in my big shows to like a fun fast music
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Think the problem with coming up with ideas for dream bag is the fact that we magicians tend to look in the wrong directions for inspiration. We first run to our magic videos and our magic books looking for answers. This is fine but it only cuases clones doing the same basic routines over and over again.

If you want to be creative with your magic, you must learn to think outside of the box and this often means stepping away from the magic world and gaining insite from other sources.

The world around us is filled with things that can influence our magic in a positive way. We can gain ideas through art, TV, culture and almost anything. there is so much there if we open our eyes wide enough to see it.

Because of my art background, I think it has really taught me how to think about my magic in a totally different fashion then I think most people do. It has allowed me to be more open and creative and not feel like my ideas are being forced through a funnel.

Being an artist, I always say the only difference between an artist and anyone else is the fact that I have learned to SEE. People shake their heads and do not often understand what I mean by that. Let me try and explain. Learning to see is far more then just looking and saying I understand what I am looking at. For example: a person is told to draw a tree. They do not look at the tree or understand the tree at all. Their brains are programmed that a tree looks a certain way and so they draw what their minds have registered a tree is supposed to look like. BUT, they are not really seeing it at all. Their minds have already placed in their subconscious a preconceived image. Whenever someone says tree, this image pops into their head and completes the thought.

But that image is not truly how THAT particular tree looks. You’re really not seeing at all. You’re seeing while wearing blinders. You come to realize that every tree is different from the other. The texture is different, the branches and color, how the atmosphere interacts with it and so on and so forth.

So learning to see is all about opening up your mind to really study something and to looking past the obvious. You force your brain not to construct these preconceived images but tell it to look at every tree as a different object entirely. It is a tough process to do but anyone can learn to do it.

This way of thinking and seeing is how I tend to view everything now. It has helped me to always observe and to be open to any thoughts and ideas for my own magic. Because of this, I feel my magic has become much more creative and entertaining and has become more of an extension of myself and my personality and character on stage.

I get ideas for my magic from anywhere and everything. I do not get my ideas for magic from magic. That sounds funny but it is so true. I find that my ideas come from nature, culture, music and just about anything. Even a cool shape of furniture can spark an idea or generate a thought. When you learn to open yourself up in this manner, you will find that your mind is more free to truly create something new and different.

Too many of us tend to look at the wrong things for inspiration. We are so used to going to our magic videos or books or acts we have seen in the past. This is fine to get yourself excited about the project, but it tends to force you in a certain direction of copying or mimicking what you see. It limits you greatly.

The best suggestion to thinking creatively is to not go to the magic books or the videos just yet. Step away from it totally. Open yourself up to exploring the idea or object yourself and you will be amazed at what ideas you can generate.

So do not look at the Dream Bag as a bag that produces magical things. Do not look at what magicians have already done with it. Go beyond that and force yourself to look at it from a different angle. Put your own unique twist on it. It may take time, but the end result will be so well worth it.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
515 Posts

Profile of spatrick
I begin with a three phase routine that goes from comedy to real magic.

I get to about the halfway point in my kids show and announce that its time for my lunch break. (Even a magicians gotta eat.) I pull out my lunchbag (dreambag) and share my lunch with the kids. I pull out my chicken sandwich (gag with a felt chicken between two pieces of foam bread) and a 20oz coke. The coke is actually a ghost bottle. I show the coke and tell the kids that even I drink my soda magically. I step away from the coke and the soda starts to get lower in the bottle by itself.

I then say, well lets eee what else we can do with this bag. I then crank up the background music and perform the "The Appearing Magic Wand From Bag Of Death Illusion!!!". With ominous background music playing I summon all my magical energy to produce a 4 inch magic wand (silly billy blowup wand). I then ask if the kids want to see it again. I then produce a bigger (12 inch) one. I repeat it one last time and then produce the 8ft apearing wand.

I then blow up the Silly Billy wand and get some help from a girl in the audience. I give her the wand (after bopping her on the head with it repeatedly) and show the bag empty once again.

I then state that the helper is going to help create some magic. She waves the wand over the bag and I reach in. I say "Of course when girls help do with the magic all I ever seem to produce are flowers.". I then produce all three boxes. I thank my volunteer and let her keep the magic wand for helping out.

I hope you get some inspiration from this routine or try it out for yourself.

S. Patrick
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Few years ago, I used to do it as my ending trick with music.

I produced boxes of flowers and finally ending the trick with a giant botania.

Very colorful and a nice ending.
-----

Joseph Then

Singapore Ventriloquist
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
Quote:
On 2005-02-01 14:47, spatrick wrote:
I begin with a three phase routine that goes from comedy to real magic.

I get to about the halfway point in my kids show and announce that its time for my lunch break. (Even a magicians gotta eat.) I pull out my lunchbag (dreambag) and share my lunch with the kids. I pull out my chicken sandwich (gag with a felt chicken between two pieces of foam bread) and a 20oz coke. The coke is actually a ghost bottle. I show the coke and tell the kids that even I drink my soda magically. I step away from the coke and the soda starts to get lower in the bottle by itself.

I then say, well lets eee what else we can do with this bag. I then crank up the background music and perform the "The Appearing Magic Wand From Bag Of Death Illusion!!!". With ominous background music playing I summon all my magical energy to produce a 4 inch magic wand (silly billy blowup wand). I then ask if the kids want to see it again. I then produce a bigger (12 inch) one. I repeat it one last time and then produce the 8ft apearing wand.

I then blow up the Silly Billy wand and get some help from a girl in the audience. I give her the wand (after bopping her on the head with it repeatedly) and show the bag empty once again.

I then state that the helper is going to help create some magic. She waves the wand over the bag and I reach in. I say "Of course when girls help do with the magic all I ever seem to produce are flowers.". I then produce all three boxes. I thank my volunteer and let her keep the magic wand for helping out.

I hope you get some inspiration from this routine or try it out for yourself.

S. Patrick

Do you use a regular size one or a jumbo for this?
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Get extra boxes or make your own and then gift wrap them. You can also get a bag from Hallmark's or other Card & Gift store that matches the size of the bag that came with your Dream Bag. Valentine's Day is coming up --- you can use a Valentine's Day gift bag and gift wrap the boxes accordingly. Perhaps use red and white spring flowers in between the boxes. Produce a bouquet of feather flowers from the bag after all the boxes have been produced. And add a box of chocolates to that while you're at it. Or you can buy a Birthday gift bag. Or Halloween gift bag , or Christmas gift bag , or ...... You get the idea.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of spatrick
You could use both sizes Swisskid but I just use the regular size on. It works ok.

Theres another little gag I use sometimes. I have a small plush M&M doll that I stuff into the bag. When I began I turn on my music for the wand production. I say "Hey, speaking of music, you guys like Eminem?" They shout yes. I pull out the M&M toy and say "Yeah, he is cool." It gets a laugh or three.

S. Patrick
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Patrick,

Cute idea. It adds a bit of comedy to the routine and gets the kids involved and laughing at the same time.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

spatrick
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of spatrick
Thanks Kyle!!

S. Patrick
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I like this creative thinking cause we have some ideas here that are not the norm. It is so refreshing to see magicians who strive to do soemthing new and different and not just adopt a routine they have seen. Striving to learn, create and be creative is hard work, but the payoff is well worth the effort.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Dream Bag (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL