The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Things That Go Bump In The Night (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pizzazz
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
108 Posts

Profile of Pizzazz
I have always wanted to know how this illusion got it's name? "Things That Go Bump In The Night" Can anyone give insight on this?
May all your days be "magic" days
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I thought Doug Henning came up with it during one of his stage shows.
Dennis Michael
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Seems that it is from a line in a novel, or play, and was appropriate to decribe the blobs that end up on the stage "things that go bump".

Anxious to hear if there is more of a story to it. Was Doug the first to use this title???

Blair
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
582 Posts

Profile of Tony S
I believe Doug Henning deserves the credit for this.
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Not sure about that.

Blair
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
The phrase has been around far longer than the trick it has been applied to. Not sure of the literary reference but I am certain it comes from literature. Harry Blackstone Jr. did it for years in his stage act as well, Henning was the first I saw perform it, for some reason I thought it was much older but I do not know and will defer to the historians in the Café.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

As I said Frank I will keep checking also.

Blair
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
There is an old Scottish Prayer that goes:

From ghoulies and ghosties
And long-leggedy beasties
And things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord, deliver us!

Richard
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Thank-you for that one. That poem would actually make a nice intro for the illusion as the lights dim!!!

Blair
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
I believe the Henning reference came from a new source than the aforementioned Prayer... Unfortuantely my mind ain't working so well these days... sadly, I used to use some of the music from the play I'm thinking of (and I can't recall the name of the song either...)wish I could be of greater service.

Nonetheless, I do believe Doug borrowed from said musical and it refers to "Things that go bump in the night" (or "dark" depending upon which version you're looking at.)

Do bear in mind, the original routine with said cabinet (the MILLION DOLLAR MYSTERY) had a sequence that was "Spirit Cabinet" like (very creepy when done right... Unfortunately, I don't think anyone has done it that way (other than myself) since Will Rock.) This correlation could be one of the reasons Doug applied the term/name. After all, he did seek to imply some metaphysical qualities to the act.

Just my two-cents worth.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Things That Go Bump In The Night (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL