The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Victoria To Skin Buskers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Okito,

Being from B.C. myself, I can honestly say I think it kind of stinks. One of my favourite things to do was to go down to the Harbour and see all of the entertainment and stop of at Tony's shop for a couple hours before returning home.

I hope that this doesn't put a damper on Victoria Day! It's one of the best days of the year to see the magicians and jugglers work!

My point as both an entertainer and an audience member is that would would be very disappointing if it lowers the number of performers at that Harbour. It's a HUGE part of what Victoria is and draws a lot of people down tot hat part of the city. It benefits the performers, the spectators and the neighboring businesses.

-Chris.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
What is the deal on tourist getting a license? Will they be able to get one?

Mario

Do you guys have Public Liability Insurance for Canada? If so do you have link to your broker for me?
Thanks
Mario
okito25
View Profile
Regular user
Victoria BC Canada
145 Posts

Profile of okito25
It is a tangled Web indeed .. we had quite a meeting with the harbour authority today .. and are re grouping to Hash out some of the details , as we did not learn much at all .. it seems they don't know what they are doing as of yet .. they gave us a series of Prices .. including one at a per diem rate of thrity bucks for a daily licence based on a three day stint for the convieneince of Visiting buskers .. or we ( magicians) could fall under the catagory of "Other" entertainment... and Pay 190 for the Summer ,, and be Pushed into the Back forty pitches , as we speak I am negotiating a deal with a resort.. and if all is well I will not need to busk When I do it will be for the sheer love ( and money) and I will take it to some of the smaller Local communitys , who appreciate it, there really are plenty of opps on this tourist island ... all I know for certain at this point is .. the causway looks as though it is going to be a real mess
Keet
Musician
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Musician
From February 12's Trashy Victoria Times Colonist... by the way, no one in this thread mentioned that a lot of buskers busk all the way down Government Street(from the harbour to about Government and Yates)... but I guess it's mainly musicians, and you're mainly... well... magicians...

Insurance a big hurdle for causeway buskers

Gerard Young
Times Colonist
Saturday, February 12, 2005

New fees for buskers working the Lower Causeway in the Inner Harbour will be implemented April 1.

But the artists, musicians and performers will have to get insurance as well.

The only good news for buskers out of Friday's Greater Victoria Harbour Authority meeting is that they will be able to pay their fees in three instalments.

"That's going to make a difference to a lot of guys," said Gerard Divine, who performs under the name Red the Juggler.

But insurance could be a problem in that the lowest quote anyone has received for the required $1-million liability package is $650 a year, he said.

He and others understand the harbour authority's reason for needing to build up revenue to pay for amenities such as garbage collection and gardening of the causeway, but Divine thinks the city should be chipping in because the causeway is a popular tourist attraction and benefits the whole city.

"Anybody who comes to town, a lot of what they see, it is attractive down there ... I think that is what separates this from other cities," he said.

Annual fees are now set at $950 for artists, $180 for musicians, $360 for jugglers and $3,000 for food vendors.

A monthly rate of $250 or $25 a day has been set for artists coming into town for shorter periods. Musicians for shorter periods can pay $10 but must play three consecutive days in a week.

The harbour authority will maintain the same size of spots, something buskers are happy about as there was some talk about downsizing their space, Divine said.
Harbour authority CEO Michael Cormier did not return a phone call.

The harbour authority took over control of the waterfront walkway from the city as of Feb. 1. Performers previously paid $10 a year, while artists paid $500 annually.
© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2005
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Victoria To Skin Buskers (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL