The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Review on Roughing Stick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rayg1952
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of rayg1952
I’m going to rate it on a 1 to 10 scale 1 being the worst and 10 being the best, the roughing stick is a very light adhesive and its about size of a hand held eraser and it comes with a one page instruction and the instructions could have been better.

Pros: As to the roughing stick it self it will last you a very long time you can apply it to hundreds of cards or maybe close to a thousand, it goes on easy its odorless its not messy you only need to apply it to one side I apply it to the backs of the cards, the adhesive will come off with a damp cloth, what I really like about it is you can be sitting down watching TV and apply it to the cards you need a flat solid surface.

Cons: To expensive not worth $16.50 maybe 6 to $8.00, doesn’t go on clear if you put it on the face of the card say like the 2 of diamonds it will leave a very light adhesive film on the face of the card that’s why I put it on the back of the cards you will not notice it. And it seems like it doesn’t last as long as roughing spray or the matte finish spray.

If you do not want to lay the cards out on the table and then spray them or if you live in a place that's not well ventilated like apartment than you might consider buying one if not don’t waste your money buy something else. I’m going to give this a 7 out 10 rating.
Derek Dean
View Profile
Regular user
Monterey, CA
126 Posts

Profile of Derek Dean
Thanks for the review, I was just looking at one of these, and the price is what kept me from getting it. Guess I'll just 'stick' with the old standby spray.
Joe Fortune
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Joe Fortune
Hi Ray,
Thanks for the review. I too bought one and although on the pricey side I think on balance it will rough more cards than the equivalent cost of spray. I have found with the spray that after a while the 'rough' wears off requiring re-spray. I only use spray for roughing specific cards for 'packet' type effects or to make an invisibly gimmicked card in a deck. If I need a roughed deck I tend to buy the manufactured ones as I have found these to be superior.

So for what it's worth so far I am delighted with the stick (I agree with your comment on the instruction sheet) and hope to give my cards some 'stick'.

All in all I would recommend it highly.

All the best from Ireland,

Joe
magiczak
View Profile
Regular user
Granada Hills, CA
159 Posts

Profile of magiczak
Where can you find this product?
**Zak**
Derek Dean
View Profile
Regular user
Monterey, CA
126 Posts

Profile of Derek Dean
magiczak
View Profile
Regular user
Granada Hills, CA
159 Posts

Profile of magiczak
Thanks Derek
**Zak**
blsorg
View Profile
Regular user
Charleston WV
149 Posts

Profile of blsorg
A styptic pencil (for shaving cuts) works great as a roughing solution. Just wet and apply... let dry. Works well.
Bruce
- Time flies like an arrow; Fruit flies like a banana! -

http://www.WVmagic.net
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
536 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
I've been using a roughing stick for about five years now (same one!). I can't rate it highly enough! Why people would bother with sprays after using one beats me!
sullivanl
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of sullivanl
Good comment about the styptic pencil. I'll have to try that out!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Review on Roughing Stick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL