The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » What kind of wood to use. for making a sub trunk. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Steamer trunk style. I have plans and need to get it done. but I'm not sure on what kind of wood to use etc. any help is appreciated.
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
As a professional woodworker, I can offer some suggestions. You can use nearly any hardwood, or various softwoods (pine, fir, spruce, etc) for the frames. Oak was one of the most commonly used woods for steamer trunks, as it was/is commonly available, reasonably priced, relatively easy to work, and holds up well to the day-to-day rigors of travel. I would use plywood for the panels, matched to whatever wood you are using. I have no experience making sub trunks, but if you are going to be standing on it, I would recommend 1/2" plywood, as 1/4" would tend to flex under weight(you could use 1/4" for any panels that don't have any stress loads, as it is amazingly strong stuff, especially if it is dadoed into the frames). 3/4" plywood would add quite a bit of weight, and is not necessary. Any wood will look good, as long as it is finished well (careful construction, proper sanding, good application of finish), but make sure to use kiln-dried wood, otherwise shrinkage will be an issue. It is immensely satisfying to make a fine piece of apparatus yourself, so I wish you all the best, and hope you can post pictures when you finish -
Bill
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Bill I'll see what I can do I was thinking. of getting a 4 X 8 sheet of ply wood to make it out of. also another problem for me is cutting the plywood out. if you want feel free to PM me.
joespc
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of joespc
The best way that I’ve found for cutting plywood is to use a cutting guide. The guide that I use is a flat metal channel (about 2in. x 9ft.). You clamp it onto the plywood and run you saw (circular of jig) along its edge. I picked one up at Sears, it came in 2 pieces along with 2 c-clamps.
TricksDaniel
View Profile
Loyal user
Pensacola,FL
248 Posts

Profile of TricksDaniel
Donster, I used 1/2 inch for the frames on my lightning trunk and 1/4 inch for the panels. The main stress points on mine is on the frames so when the top is on there isn't any pressure on the panels. Go with what billfromoregon said. He gives some great and sound advice.
Owner DC_ILLUSIONS
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
Donster - There are some places that sell lumber that will cut your panels to size for you, for a small fee. Also, you may find some woodworkers who will cut the panels for you for a nominal fee. If there is a professional hardwood dealer in your area, he could probably refer you to someone. I have done this as a service before - cutting, planing, sanding, shaping, etc. Joespc suggestion to use a guide with either a jigsaw or circular saw is a good one - you can use anything for a guide, as long as it's straight. I do this all the time when I'm working away from the shop and don't have access to my tablesaws. There are some nice clamps made specifically for this which have a lever that instantly locks the guide in place. You can find these at woodcraft.com and other tool suppliers. Happy sawing -
Bill
JohnnyNykkon
View Profile
New user
Crystal Lake,IL
57 Posts

Profile of JohnnyNykkon
I recently built a sub trunk, not knowing the actual plans, except a set of plans my mentor gave me about 5 years ago, with not legibility. I used pine with a nice red mahogony stain. Looks great. When building one, and not being a carpenter I can give you this adivece, don't get mad! keep at it and get your dimensuons right!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » What kind of wood to use. for making a sub trunk. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL