The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Performing for homeless people. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
Misers dream for the Homeless?!? Good idea!

This is one of those subjects that I think we could all participate in. What do you all say to a global day of street magic for the benifit of the homeless.

As far as I know there has been talk of this, but I have never seen it pulled off. If anyone has seen this before, or knows of anything, lets see if we can get together on this and work at it for the benefit of our globe!
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Cowboymagicman,

Sounds good, how could you put it together?

SAM & IBM help? I would think there are probably just as many unaffiliated Magi,
that would be interested. How could you reach them?
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
That is the dilemma.. Obviously we have a great reach just here at the Café. Now the question is how many can we sign on to this? I think maybe we need to get some staff members on the idea, as well as the IBM or SAM or any of the others.
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
State by State seems to be the way to go. After the first state does it, the rest of them would fall like dominoes, and the Idea would probably get picked up in the trade magazines, and take off in a big way.

You would have to get those cans made that coudn't be opened for the cash, and state by state lists of performance venues and lists of Magi to staff them, including alternates in case some didn't show. Even the new Magi could pitch or shill if they were not ready to perform, and still help out.

Maybe grocery chains, where you could set up food barrels? Coordinate with the local food banks to take the donations.

A big oyster, lots of meat and maybe a pearl, but you have to figure out how to get the shell open. Smile
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Hey guys, this seems like a pretty awesome idea. What better could you do during your day than perform for homeless people? And if there was a day that the whole world, country, or whatever could participate, think of all the faces of homeless people you bring a smile to. Smile
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
What about this holiday season? With the economy the way it is, all charities across the board are going to be having a tough time collecting any donations.

The time to act is now. An army must have a leader. Something like this could push magic back into the spotlight where it was before FOX came along. Shaming the very people that chose to destroy the art for their own selfish gain.

Who will step forward? Who can organize?
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
I'm all over it! The questions is who is with me? The state of Utah is small, we need to get the big states in on it to make it a story!

The Holidays are going to be here and gone if we don't hurry. Let's get the Press Releases out now! What we need is a real catchy magic for mankind slogan or "ad campaign" that will get the press. Any ideas?
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Heads up everyone, as this post is made, there are officially nine days until Christmas. Let us hit the streets with our skills and smiles. Smile Lets bring some good cheer to the unfortunate. Smile
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Hey Guys,
Great Idea`s. I work often with the homeless. For example taking clothes out and about always draws a crowd.

One Kid said to me, "I am still here in the morning, can you bring me breakfast?" that sobered me up, we are talking cold British weather here.

One thing I don't do and advise you not to, that is give money. Because the drunks faces light up when Blaine filled a cup full of money, he was stairing at his next bottle. Some professional beggers can tack big money, we are talking hundreeds and that is sterling £.

Yes and their are those who are genuine. I think we do better to offer to buy them food and a coffee, maybe than do them a trick. That way you can sift out the con,s and those just looking for there next fix.

When we get involed with the homeless, it's good to network with the city outreach efforts already in place. They will be only to pleased for support, and they will be able to tell you the do`s and don't`s, the Salvation Army for example. You might want to offer a free Show at a locale drop in center.

I should add, when I was a kid I became homeless myself for a while. How I survived? well lets just say I am thankful. If I can help then I will!
)
:hamburger:
JJDrew
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
221 Posts

Profile of JJDrew
A few months ago I found myself in the office of the DES (department of economic services) waiting to speak with one of their employees. It was a long wait and the waiting room was packed, standing room only.

I pulled out a deck of cards and was practicing some fans and whatnot when I realized that the lady across the table from me was watching what I was doing. I caught her eye and performed the "shrinking" cards. Before I knew it, everyone in the room was watching and laughing as I did a series of tricks and manipulations.

The DES is a hard place to have to go. It's rough having to ask for food stamps or insurance from the state and that room contained the gloomiest group of people I ever saw. By the time I left they were all talking together and smiling. It was great. It's the kind of thing that makes me really glad I learned magic.
Twisted_Reality
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Twisted_Reality
I am on for Canada- Were small, but MIGHTY Smile
Of course I can float, - can i borrow a jet pack from the audience please?
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
It has been nearly 3 years since the last post on this. Any interest?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2002-10-10 11:37, KingStardog wrote:
Maybe a bill switch that ended in the larger bill in their hand would be a good one.

I am only familiar with a couple, but I am going to reverse the gaffs for the two I do
so they can work backwards.

Just a thought.

In one of Penn and Teller's books (the one on travel, I think) Teller tells a story about giving a lift to someone who was trying to get to a half-way house. While traveling, Teller tries to explain what it is he does exactly and the guy gets confused. Finally, he makes a stop at a convenience store on a pretense, gets a magazine, and folds up a twenty. After getting the guy to his shelter, he does a bill switch with a piece of paper torn from the magazine, telling the guy to hold the piece of paper all the way up the walk and into the shelter, not to open it until he's inside. He says he got to see the look on the guy's face through the window when he opened his hand and found the twenty. Beautiful.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Mandrake, that is a great story! It is inspiring to me to hear stuff like that. It makes me want to forget always trying to perform for money, but instead go out there and just make people feel good in their lives. There is no greater feeling!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2002-10-06 17:04, Derek P. Moore wrote:
I do Food Not Bombs every Sunday here in Kansas City. Food Not Bombs is really cool and lots o' fun. Basically, FNB boils down to this: we prepare large quantities o' food, we set up at a public park, set up a huge sign that says "FOOD NOT BOMBS", and serve food to anybody and everybody.

Have you seen any of the legal problems that other FNB groups have seen?

PS- I like doing magic for gutter punks, too. So few of them have ever seen any magic, and they are, in essence, just kids- and I love performing for kids. Also, I get a real kick out of astonishing people who are, for lack of a better term..."jaded".

When it works, it's quite a rush.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
I look out my window right now and see three homeless people across the street. In San Diego, there are homeless EVERYWHERE. I can't walk down the street without getting approached for something. Many of you don't have to experience this kind of thing in your neighborhoods, and I wonder if I am too cold on the subject. I often have to kick people out of my stairwell and carport, not because I don't want them to have a sheltered place to sleep, but because I know that they will defecate and urinate wherever they can find a little seclusion. This is not an assumption; it is a proven reality for me. There are several regulars in the area, and there are a few people I help out when I can. A lot of these people suffer from serious mental illness, and simply don't have a clue as to what is going on around them. I really wish there was more I could do to help them, but I can barely keep myself alive sometimes. SO, I don't think that I'd ever perform for any of them. I do know that in most of the cases they just wouldn't get it, and in other cases they don't care, they just want the money. I have been assaulted before. Thankfully I am able to take care of myself in those situations, but you could get stabbed in the back in the blink of an eye. Just remember that when you perform for these people, they don't have the best lives in the world and, while in some cases you could really brighten their day, they have only survival on the mind.
A homeless man that sees you perform Greed may jump you around the corner.

Matt
Aim To Amaze
tupawk
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of tupawk
I agree with Monte, you do really need to be careful if you are going to do something like that with any homeless person or someone begging for money. The reality is that they will do anything to survive if they are truly living on the streets. I have seen it happen, someone is nice gives them money. The homeless person sees in their wallet that they have more or the person was drunk, etc... follows them around the corner and beats the **** out of them for their trouble.

I also couldn't believe when I read in this post Brian pulled a knife (color changing but they don't know that) out when you only had a nickel in your pocket. You are lucky you didn't get shot.

This also touches on some philosophy of Ayn Rand (objectivism) that I tend to agree with. Don't help people so you can feel good inside. Help them because you want to help them for yourself not with regard of how it makes you feel.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Performing for homeless people. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL