The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cigarette substitute (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Quote:
On 2005-02-04 08:27, Werner G. Seitz wrote:

When cigarettes are not allowed, I would stop doing cigarette-routines or replace the routine using cigars, there are great wooden cigars available and most effects using cigarettes can be done using cigars..

20 years back I did a cigarproduction instead of a cigaretteproduction and it was very strong..

Although you may not be able to do the same routine, ie:vanish a lit object in a tt, you can use most of the techniques, moves, bits, with other objects.

I think that some of the alternatives suggested here are excelent and you certainly can build an entire routine, if not act around them. Do a bill switch as a lead in to manipulation for example. Perhaps "vanishing crayons" to open or close manipulation w/crayons.

May I suggest that Color Changing knives can be used for many, if not most, of the same things. Again, one would build it into a total presentation. Ex: Her is my everyday knife (white), but when I go out, I want something a little dressier (change to black) of course sometimes the knife just disapears on its own and I have to reach over heare to get another one (work it out for your self).
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
bnadworn
View Profile
Regular user
Western New York
131 Posts

Profile of bnadworn
I have used crayons. When I go to places with children they are usually readily available so I don't even need to carry them around. I also use chapsticks. Due to the climate I live in I usually have one on me. They are a bit thicker but work for me. I have also used wooden dowels that have been cut to the size of a cigarette. They work well and can be painted or left as the color of my hands (hint hint).

- Brian Nadworny
"They say the hand is quicker than the eye but I won't believe it until I see it."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24264 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are some really good looking cigarette substitutes out there. You can roll a piece of index card to the same size as a cigarette, cover it with cigarette paper, and then use red foil and a bit of glitter to simulate a lit cigarette tip.

They won't last forever, so you might want to take an afternoon to make a few dozen of these. Also, you could cut a piece of doweling of the correct diameter to the correct length and make a manipulation cigarette out of that. cover it with paper to get the right texture.

John Calvert still does a cigarette act, but he warns kids not to smoke before he starts. He also does not smoke.

Cal Emmett, whose cigarette manipulations were some of the best, also did not smoke. He would puff on a cig, but he never inhaled.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
337 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
Your idea is very good, Bill. John Cornelius has an great idea also in his book that came out a year or so ago. There are many places where cigarettes are taboo, however, fake or real, lit or unlit. That American Cancer Society benefit just wouldn't appreciate the droll humor that if folks didn't smoke, we might not need the society as much (lol). Any, I enjoyed your suggestion -sound like more fun than buying the old fake lit ones-and sturdier also.
David
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24264 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I wish I had bought about a dozen of those cigarettes John had. They were made of something he got from a surplus shop. That happens. You find a brilliant idea, purchase the supplies you need for it, then the company either goes bankrupt or they can't get it any more.

There used to be some ballpoint pens that look like cigs. They had a pull-out filter that had the pen part attached to it. You would pull that out and turn it around and insert it back into the white part of the cigarette.

You could start your routine with "I used to smoke, but thanks to the ads on television, I quit." As you make these remarks, pull a pen out of a cigarette box. "I have this right here -- I substituted a new hobby for it -- writing!" Then go into your cigarette act. You could do all sorts of things with this.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
337 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
Bill-you can't get the right size from the same place you get your wand sleeves??David
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24264 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's not that simple. The sleeves are a bit larger than their nominal size. I use a 3/8 inch sleeve, which is actually larger than 3/8 inch. Then I shrink it to size. The same sleeve works for 5/16 inch. But a 1/2 inch sleeve won't work for 3/8 inch. It will shrink down, but it looks lumpy.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20507 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
John Calvert must go through hundreds of stage cigarettes in a month. He would be be worth a try. He also may have some really good lecture material on the subject.

Good Luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicandrew
View Profile
New user
Australia
58 Posts

Profile of magicandrew
I use cut up straw pieces. it works.
""Magic is your art handle it well""
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cigarette substitute (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL