The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Gender in magic and mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Peace to all...
I am looking for further insight on the following theory.

I have found throughout my 10 years in the craft that indeed the woman is the most intrigued, the most convinced of our mental feats, or magick as whole for this matter. As many of you have probably read, most of my posts involve a story with a woman in one way or another.

I find that men seek to disect, to watch you perhaps, a bit closer; and that's fine, keeps one on his toes. But in any case, I find that a woman is much more apt to label your doings "true magick" or "real."

Now, this is where many shall call me crazy, but I already know that, so here it goes.

My proposal, from all of my studies is this:
perhaps the woman, being the "womb of man," is, like the womb, naturally more passive, more open, receptive to the "unknown" than a man. She seems to me, much more open to the infinite possibilites of the mind and its surroundings.

Where as a man, it may be argued, is more egoistic, seeking to penetrate, even as his pen**! forgive me, but we're mature enough to handle such a word, I pray.
A man is less willing, I contend, to admit he's been bamboozeled. and seeks an "out" quicker than the Goddess. This is my experience.

Bottom line,the Woman has been, for me, the most accepting, the most "un-questioning" of the phenomena that I perform. This is in no way saying that she is easier to fool, but that she seeks to enjoy, to experience the act, more than try to break down the feats, for her own satisfaction.

Woman= Ma gickal
man= logical.

again, my magi, what say you........

Baba kali Ma
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
I agree with you on your statement, that women seem to enjoy magic more.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
I totally agree on what you said, moreover woman add more fun to magic by her reaction.
peace, love and kindness.. no terms and conditions

1001 Magic Nights Blog
www.kasrani1.wordpress.com

http://www.kasrani.com/
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Yes they do....

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Women are more emotionally driven, this is the key. You should have this in mind when choosing and using spectators, especially in mentalism.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
DanielLove
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
265 Posts

Profile of DanielLove
Stereotypes.
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
I beg your pardon.
I am certainly NOT trying to box in, to catagorize our beloved Woman....was simply speaking of my experiences.
I do feel that's SHE is much more receptive to the infinite possibilities of world phenomena.
She can, in my opinion, accept better the things that cannot be measured by science, and for this I am all the more in awe of our goddess.

And kinesis, I totally agree....though this can be taken as a stereotype, let our own experience be the best qualified to reward our research.

Thanx for the insights...
DanielLove
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
265 Posts

Profile of DanielLove
Didn't mean to offened.
but in my experience humans of both genders are so full of variety and difference that to use gender to define personality traits is quite impossible.

The mix of men and women I have met have never made me believe that there are any easily assigned gender personality traits. I've met skeptical men and skeptical women in equal amounts - the same being true of "open minded" men and women.

What it may be worth considering though is that your own gender may colour the way you view the world. Perhaps if you were a female performer you would find that women were more confrontational and that men were more open to what you have to say.
So it may not be that women are more "open" but simply that gender effects how you interact with others. Much in the way that women may talk freely about sex with each other, but would be far more "coy" around male friends (perhaps to avoid being mistaken for a come on)- men may then decide that women are coy and less interested in sex than they are, but the reality is that you are only seeing one angle of the situation. Much in the way women tend to assume that men are less sensitive and less communicative, but most men I have met are happy to discuss private and emotional things in depth - but we may avoid this infront of women because we wish to appear "strong."

My assumtion is that men and women are essentially very similar, but depending on which gender you are born you will only see one side of the fence.

We all adopt certain stereotypes of our gender in day to day interaction, but given the chance and in a gender irrelevant situation (such as with close friends of the same sex) I owuld imagine that both men and women will discuss and behave in very similar ways.

So I suppose that as male performers we will discover that more women are open to us, but that dosn't mean that women are more "open" in general - it's just the filter we see the world through. At least, that is one possible explanation.
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Quote:
On 2005-02-03 18:17, DanielLove wrote:
Didn't mean to offened.
"...but we may avoid this in front of women because we wish to appear "strong."

No my magi, I wasnt offeded, just wanted to clarify my interpretation of this.

the fact that we, as "men" wish to "appear strong" as you put it, shows further,in my opinion that likewise, it still may be argued that men seek to dispel our work as trickery, for the sake of the ego, the sake of appearing strong, in the sense of knowledgable...if you know what Im saying...

in any case, all of what you said is very insightful and true; we MUST guard against stereotypes in all angles of life, but I still contend that she is much more open, from my experiences at least.

in the end, I suppose you are right in that, it probably cannot be weighed in order to come up with a final measurement as to who is more or less "convinced"...for as the saying goes, theres an exception for every rule....

finally, please, make no mistake, I hold the WOMAN in ther highest of regard.....nothing short of worship and adoration!!

peace and love.
Baba
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Gender in magic and mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL