We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Muscle pass observation--try it with two coins, the top one smaller than the other. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
523 Posts

Profile of travisb
I haven't been able to get it consistent yet (then again, my normal muscle pass isn't consistent either), but if you get it right, you can get just the top coin to jump, while the bottom coin stays in your hand. The bottom coin pushes the top coin into the air, and then stops on your hand.

I can't really think of a use for it, but give it a try, maybe you'll think of something. Oh, and you can make both jump, so you have to get the knack of getting just the top one to jump. Try it with a variety of sizes of coins until you find one that works for you.

-Travis

P.S. Maybe in a routine where before one coin vanishes from your hand, you first demonstrate that the smaller of the two coins (maybe it's an "escape-artist coin," or some nonsense) in your hand really wants to get out, while the big one wants to stay...

Like I said, I haven't really thought about it.
nostrings
View Profile
Loyal user
Newport News, VA
294 Posts

Profile of nostrings
Have you tried the muscle pass with two coins the same size a buddy of mine recommeneded it to help learn the muscle pass
the74rock
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of the74rock
You don't want to use 2 coins of different sizes. use 2 coins of the same size.
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
I have tried this to no avail...however here is a small discovery I made! If you have the smaller coin to the side slightly (furhter towards the forefinger), then when you muscle pass the lower (larger) coin, the top coin will just flip over to the side...maybe for some sort of coins across routine. The coins make a noise, but it is a bit early...whether this could still be deceptive, I do not know.
Roger Klause had an idea that appeared in Richard's Almanac, in which two coins were muscle passed silently, so that the audience are only awear of the one coin having gone across. This is very difficult, and I can do it occasionally. If you can learn it however, I can see this being a very useful tool.
If you want some more ideas for the move, PM me!
Owen
travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
523 Posts

Profile of travisb
I've tried it a bit more, and it seems like the trick is to do the muscle pass incorrectly, so that the bottom coin doesn't actually jump. (BTW, if I do this with two coins of the same size, I can't get it to work.)

Try using a big, thick coin for the lower coin (that's what I'm doing, anyways...), and a smaller, thinner (lighter) coin for the top coin. Position the lower coin in a very shallow classic palm position (close to the fingertips, rather than close to the wrist). When you squeeze to pop the coin, your thumb prevents it from leaving your hand (because the coin is so shallow). The bottom coin, which had been placed on top--with one edge touching your palm near the "karate-chop" side--should jump out, while the big coin stays.

See if that works.

-Travis

P.S. Muscle-passing two coins with no noise sounds like a challenge!
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Klause's two-coin silent muscle pass can be done consistently with no noise. Just requires the right coins and a delicate touch.

~ Dan
travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
523 Posts

Profile of travisb
This can also work with the small coin underneath and the big coin on top. The big coin gets launched, but the small coin doesn't go anywhere because your hand is spread wide in order to accomodate the big coin. A slightly different effect, but still kind of interesting (to me!).

-Travis
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Muscle pass observation--try it with two coins, the top one smaller than the other. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL