The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Audience Participation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
Do you guys feel this is a must in a kids show? Can one be done without it? If not, what is your favorite audience participation trick? Do you change it depending on age?
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Cholly, by golly!
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Cholly, by golly!
In my experience, kids seem to pay more attention when one of their friends (or parents) is part of the show. Audience participation = more attentive kids = better show = happy parents = repeat bookings.
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Yes, it's a must.

You can do a show without help from kids but it will not be a very good show.

The reason is that it is not because it's a KIDS show, but it applies to ALL types of show.

Imagine a Snake Charmer showing the snake without audience participation. Kinda bored...
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Kids will usually sit still for about two minutes when they see you standing up in front of them asking them to "be quiet, now, and watch 'wonderful me' flourish some cards." Adults are more polite, but about half of them wish they could be anywhere else - UNLESS you're as skilled as Copperfield at intriguing and amusing them.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
It's a must, and it should be used in all you kids show routines, even if it's just getting the kids to wiggle fingers, or shout the magic word.

The most successful kids entertainers always magic with the kids, not at them.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Kids get board very quickly. By involving them you are making the magic fun and exciting. Every child wants to see the show and most want to participate. Without help from the audience, you don't have much.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I find audience participation is just as important for adults as children. Of course, a Copperfield type show would be suffcient without it:)
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
Would something such as everyone shouts a magic word, and some goofy wands that always goes wrong in the kids hands count as audience participation?
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Audience participation is an absolute must in a kid's show. The children just love being near the magician. It is where the action is and they can see it happening in their hands, their friend see them, they are part of the attention... I could go on and on! Just make sure that you don't perform a "sucker trick" on them. If you do, make sure you turn out to be the sucker. This goes a long way to insure that the kids actually enjoy the show. They can talk about it later and be proud to say they were part of it!

Some of the tricks I use with audience participation are "Linking Rings", "cut and restored rope", "Coloring book". Depending on the age, I will also do some card tricks...

Have a nice day!

Louis
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
517 Posts

Profile of spatrick
Even a Copperfield show has audience participation. Magic is one of the few live theater presentations that allows the audience to break through the "4th Wall" and be a part of the show.

A childrens entertainer must absolutley include the kids in with the magic. I would say that all but 2 of my routines need help from a child in the audience.

This allows me to do several things. First, it makes sure that most of the group (if not all) are involved in making the show fun. Second, it allows me to perform a special trick for the (birthday, host, bar-mitzvah) child. Third, it allows me to make the child the star and ask for applause at the end of the effect for the child (and me inturn).

Using your audience to help you create the magic is an absolute must in childrens magic.

S. Patrick
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
To help a magician? That's why kids come to a show. MUST is a MUST. Years ago Hank Moorehouse did a lecture on performing for kids and I always remember this quote. "Mr. Bubbles (his character's name) loves kids, Mr. Moorehouse occasionally tires of them but Mr. Bubbles Loves Kids!"
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Cholly, by golly!
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Cholly, by golly!
Quote:
On 2005-02-01 08:14, SwissKid 52 wrote:
Would somthing such as everyone shouts a magic word, and some goofy wands that always goes wrong in the kids hands count as audience participation?

You're definitely on the right track with the magic word but be careful with those wands. It may get a good laugh but the kid with the wand can sometimes feel humiliated. Parents are fair game though. Kids love seeing grown-ups look foolish.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Once a top professional speaker was asked if you should use humour in your talks. His reply was, "Only if you want to get paid."

Same goes for audience participation in a children's show.
ChrisJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Lapeer, MI
226 Posts

Profile of ChrisJ
Emazdad said:

"The most successful kids entertainers always magic WITH the kids, not AT them."

I couldn't agree with you more Emazdad. If the audience feels like they are part of the magic they will surely enjoy it more. Some of the best things can happen when a volunteer says something or reacts a certain way. Yes, include the kids IN the magic.
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
Thanks for the help, I already do do some audience participation tricks, but as I am re-routining my act, I just wanted to hear what you guys had to say on the topic.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Glad to have been of help!

Louis
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Audience Participation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL