The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Height of table/podium (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
My podium is the same height as my table---C Level!
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2005-02-03 18:51, BroDavid wrote: Wow, 38 inches high! That must been for Luke, stilt-walker! BroDavid

Good one! Smile Andre The Giant!

-=tab
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-02-03 17:36, Joshua Lozoff wrote:
Actually, Webster's agrees and disagrees with you. One definition of a podium is a dais for someone to stand on, and the other is a lecturn for someone to stand behind, or put papers on to give a speech.

I can guarantee that Webster's did not say it was a lecturn. They may have said it was a lectern, but not a lecturn. As long as you are looking up definitions and quoting them, at least spell them correctly.

This usage actually reflects what has been taking place in our language lately. People in the hotel business have been referring to lecterns as podiums for a long time. So this misusage has become part of our language.

BTW, "Webster's" is a generic term. It's not trademarked or copyrighted, so anyone can call a dictionary "Webster's." Merriam-Webster is one of the better Websters.

But Webster's is not the be-all and end-all of the dictionary business. If you want a "real" dictionary, use the OED. It's not on-line. Pity.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Quote:

This usage actually reflects what has been taking place in our language lately. People in the hotel business have been referring to lecterns as podiums for a long time. So this mis-usage has become part of our language.

But Webster's is not the be-all and end-all of the dictionary business. If you want a "real" dictionary, use the OED. It's not on-line. Pity.

Depends upon what one means by "real." As someone who does most of his speaking in modern life, I need a dictionary that adapts definitions to fit contemporary meanings. I don't want a dictionary that tells me a podium is only something to stand on. That would make me quite rigid, old-fashioned, and hinder me in contemporary conversations. There are a few exceptions (I can't stand when someone says "really unique"), but for the most part a dictionary would do a disservice to contemporary speakers to exclude modern uses and spellings of words. That's what Noah Webster thought, at least. Who am I to disagree?

Anyway, my lectern is done, and I'm very happy with it. Thanks for all the help you guys.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Well, I guess you better tell us how tall it is after all this! And a picture would he helpful too Smile !

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Height of table/podium (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL