The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » New to Sponge Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

VBall
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
165 Posts

Profile of VBall
Hi there,

I've always been a cards guy but have decided to pick up sponge balls. I really do know nothing about it except for some simple takes. Can you guys give me some recommendation on good sources? books, dvds, etc? anything else I would need to know? Thanks again!
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1947 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
A good starting point is the "25 tricks with spongeballs" Form Hampton Ridge.
It's pretty inexpensive and gives a few good starting points.

Sorry for the redundancy
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
VBall
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
165 Posts

Profile of VBall
I believe it comes in both dvd and booklet? is the material the same in them?
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1947 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Mine was VHS. Sorry I am not familiar with any other format. I think any magic shop will sell them. They may have a better answer about the material.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
See Steve Dacri's routine if at all possible. Much of what I learned about finesse with sponges, I learned from watching his performances.

Dick Stoner has a great stand-up routine on one of his tapes.

A really good resource is Routined Manipulation Finale by Lewis Ganson. It talks about some of the details in doing spongeball work, that are often overlooked.
elbruno
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of elbruno
Also check out Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia of Magic. Jon Jensen has two books out specifically devoted to sponge ball magic. Both are good, with effects that are different than the usual fare.
zur
View Profile
Special user
California
671 Posts

Profile of zur
Try to buy Frank Garcia's Encyclopedia of Sponge Magic. It goes regularly on ebay for $200 but is worth every cent.
funstuff
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of funstuff
There is a sponge ball video by patrick page that can be had for like $10

Oh yeah forgot to mention, I beleive you can get it from http://www.magicsupply.com during their half price video sale.
BrucUK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
163 Posts

Profile of BrucUK
Anything from the exhaustive list at http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/magspong.htm
Garcia is very good, tho' you can get a very very workable routine from Wilsons' Cyclopaedia, the 2 Jensen books, or the Audley Walsh pamphlet.
Rgds - Bruce
VBall
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
165 Posts

Profile of VBall
Thanks everyone.

as for the gracia material, I found a booklet by him spongeballs... anyone have it or know if it is decent material?
mrj
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
68 Posts

Profile of mrj
The Frank Garcia booklet is very good. It teaches the necessary sleights and has several full routines.

This should be all you need to get started.

I have seen the 25 Sponge Ball Tricks DVD and was not very impressed. Stick with the booklet.
The Great Blackwell
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
58 Posts

Profile of The Great Blackwell
Quote:
On 2005-02-01 19:00, Josh Riel wrote:
Sorry for the redundancy

Can you direct me to the Department of Redundancy Department?
-Dave in Minneapolis

"Never trust anyone in a wedding dress, especially a woman!"
-Sam Malone
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Yes, it is over there, there.
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » New to Sponge Balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL