The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Tables? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
634 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Vernon believed poker sized cards were superior to bridge cards for the same reason.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-02-04 23:30, Chris Rodriguez wrote:
Thanks guys, I am planning on getting into some busking sometime in the future, but I still need much more practice. I think I'm going to construct a table that I have plans for when I start to hit the streets seeing that most buskers do have one. At first I thought I could do it all without a table, but then I started to get into routines/effects that needed a table, like the three shell game and cups and balls.

Watch the "three shell game," sometimes cops are waiting for you to show something that they can claim was "gambling" so they can shut you down.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
RiffRaff wrote: Vernon believed poker sized cards were superior to bridge cards for the same reason.

Are you ever on top of it!!!

Poker cards are pretty much a 3:2 fit. It's a very pleasing shape.

Maybe its a left brain - right brain thing.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
634 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
If you really want to get picky, the ratio is 1:1.61803...
Fibonacci would indicate that a table size of 21x34 would be ideal.

Evidence of the golden ratio is not only found in ancient architecture, but in nature itself. Tree brances, leaves, eggs, animals all exhibit this ratio.
I always thought it would be interesting to design the cups for cups and balls using this ratio. (That's because I'm a cup fanatic).
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Interesting thoughts about the cups Riff Raff. Would Fibanacci not indicate that the ratio of bottom to mouth to height be 1:2:3??? I'm not a cups man but have a few sets around to try out with the tables I make. I think I'll put a ruler on them when I get to the shop later today.

My early Drawer Table design was closer to the 1:1.6 ratio you indicate at 15 x 24 but I adjusted it a little to make more efficient use of materials to 16 x 24 and while the extra inch of depth was handy it didn't seem to detract from the overall feel of the table top hence to slight rounding to 2:3. I think Pythagoras would approve as he was a practical man.

I'd be interested in more of your thoughts on this rule in cups design and whats pleasing to the eye.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
634 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
I believe for the cups the ratio should be 1 from the bottom of the cup (rim) to the top of the step; and 1.61 from the step to the top. In other words, it's a ratio of height. Because the observer is looking at the sides of the cup and not the top or the inside.
I'm not sure about 3-D figures. Maybe the diameter of the top should be 1 to the mouth of the cup which is 1.61.
When you come up with something, I'd love to see it!

BTW:
The Fibonacci series approaches the golden mean.
Fib: 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55...
1/1=1
2/1=2
3/2=1.5
5/3=1.66...
8/5=1.6
13/8=1.625
21/13=1.615
34/21=1.619
55/34=1.6176
And so on.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
I was always told that its not the size but what you can do with it that counts !!
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2005-02-13 15:07, Kondini wrote: I was always told that its not the size but what you can do with it that counts !!

It's a myth!!

-=tabman

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13396 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Speaking of tables, I sure like those poker chips and little dice.
I think they would look good being used on a cool table.

I'm trying to resist spending money right now but... just... having... a .... hard...time...
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
I know what you're talking about. That dice stuff on your site is beautiful too!!! If I ever get time to do any magic I'm ordering up one of your leather cups and some nice stacking dice.

Now concentrate and watch the swinging pendulum and listen to the sound of my fingers typing!!!

You're getting very sleepy!!! You see before you a sea of green....!!! It's covered with chips, your chips....

:)

-=tabman

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Tables? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL