The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » To Hyphen or not to Hyphen (Web Marketing Question) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I have .com
.us
.info
etc. Most everyone ASSUMES it's a .com and rarely type in .us or .info etc.
Go .com

as to hyphen the post above about advertising on the radio is dead on. A hyphenated address does not work for radio.

As to godaddy.com The Best of the best! So many free services once you buy a domain. They have many sales also. I got my .info for $1.95...my .us. for $4.95...but these days I stick with .com mainly because it's what people think of most...I just mention LionPoint Studio and they fill in the .com

As to search engines, it doesn't matter a hill of beans what the address is.
What does matter is what you title your page and how you back load the key words.
I have numerous sites all #1 in google searches and a new one will be at the top of the list within two weeks.

Have fun!

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
OK for example their are 2 different serch results in google

Most people in Australia when searching for an Aussie company use the following link
http://www.google.com.au/

as you can see you can do a world search or an Aussie one.

The two web sites that I am running 1 is me my own personalised web site and the other is a web site which I can't give you the name right now I'll simply say that it is a joint venture with several other magicians of Sydney who are putting their recources togeather in Marketing ventures. Teaming up to reduce costs and to become the leaders when it comes to magicians of sydney- it's complicated to explain without giving the name

.com.au is a must if your business is selling to Australians the new web site is an educational tool for the corporate events industry.

thanks people
Dave
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2005-03-09 18:48, malini wrote:
Donald, you’re completely wrong.

Just because you've never heard of it, doesn't mean its wrong...

On the other side of the world, the view is much different. If the market is Australia then it makes complete sense for the domain name to be .com.au. Because that domain is widely used.

It's a culture thing, dude. Exactly the same goes with New Zealand (.co.nz); the United Kingdom (.co.uk), Europe (.fi, .de, .ru), and much of the rest of the world. A .com address could lead people to the assumption you're based in the United States.

Yes, there is life outside of America.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like David or his idea was wrong. I just was asking for clarification, so I could understand his point of view.

And you are absolutely right, Malini, although I live in Canada, I certainly have a North American mindset, and sometimes forget that.

- Donald <--- confused in Canada

P.S. Thanks David for the post and clarification. I appreciate your patience with me.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
I got no problems with you Donald

You are trying to help so keep doing it.

All points of view are something to think about so tell me what ever you think.

cheers,

Dave
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
My domain name is a .com since it is MUCH cheaper.

.au will of course get me more hits as many people search specifically for .au and I plan to get one as soon I can afford it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » To Hyphen or not to Hyphen (Web Marketing Question) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL