The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card Size (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
itexus
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of itexus
I know there is poker-sized card and bridge-sized cards.
But why do you need smaller cards to play bridge?
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Very old thniking years ago that bridge was played mostly by women and having smaller and delicate hands, they needed a smaller sized deck of cards for bridge!
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
It has a practical use for duplciate bridge. In this pure tournament version of the game, the hands are kept seperated in a wallet and replayed at another table so luck is eliminated to a large degree. The smaller cards are easier to store in the special wallets or boards.

In the UK we almost never see Poker cards. The "standard" size is bridge width so we might ask why do you need larger cards to play poker? In fact passes and many other moves are easier with bridge cards so they're ideal for magic too.

I think the women/bridge thing is a myth because bridge wasn't invented till the late 19th/early 20th and I'm sure the European playing cards were the narrower width long before that. It may be that US Bridge players adopted the European cards because they were easier for women to use but in fact the egg came before the chicken if you see what I mean Smile
itexus
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of itexus
BlackShadown,

Ah, ok. Im from sweden so the standard size here are bridgecards also.
but now I know, thanks.
Sean
View Profile
Loyal user
No Cal
201 Posts

Profile of Sean
Poker cards are bigger because Poker is associated with Texas and in Texas everything is bigger.
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
That's a good reason!

Actually my logic for this, and I don't know if it is right or wrong, is that poker is a much bigger money game than bridge. In fact no betting, no poker, whereas bridge survives well without the money aspect.

Since Poker is the king of gambling games, it follows some unscrupulous people may want to cheat to win money, so hence the wider cards, to make false cuts or passes more difficult. Is that logical or garbage? You tell me!
itexus
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of itexus
BlackShadow, could be.. and the fact that the cards are bigger doesent make them harder to view either. Smile
irishguy
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
629 Posts

Profile of irishguy
Quote:
On 2005-02-03 14:21, BlackShadow wrote:
Since Poker is the king of gambling games, it follows some unscrupulous people may want to cheat to win money, so hence the wider cards, to make false cuts or passes more difficult.

Well, clearly that didn't work.... Smile
itexus
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of itexus
Forgot one thing.. the bridgesized card is longer then the pokersized cards.. about one mm or something.. (i compare two red bicykle decks).
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
Interestingly US paper sizes are shorter and fatter than the European ISO standard sizes (A4). Maybe shorter and fatter just fits better in the US Smile

No offence intended
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
Will Gordon
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
124 Posts

Profile of Will Gordon
I thought the reason Bridge cards were smaller was because a player holds thirteen cards in the hand. Compare to five in Poker.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2005-02-04 08:29, acmp wrote:

Maybe shorter and fatter just fits better in the US Smile

No offence intended

None taken, you limey freak.

Just kidding, just kidding.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
Hey I think will gordon got a point there..it might be the reason..i never thought about it
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
Mustang
View Profile
Veteran user
London, England
316 Posts

Profile of Mustang
"None taken, you limey freak"

Why do you call us limey's? We ate Oranges and Lemons to stop the scurvy Smile Yanks have a choice of so much citrus and they pick Lime? Smile

Still no offence Smile
"A magician is one who appreciates the difference between knowing how a trick is done, and knowing how to do a trick."
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I don't think Americans came up with the term limey. But I just used it in jest in response to the John Bull who took a dig at Americans. LOL.

I thought limey was kind of a gentle jest, hopefully it's not considered a huge insult. If you don't like limey would you prefer orangey or kumquaty or maybe ugli? LOL.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Mustang
View Profile
Veteran user
London, England
316 Posts

Profile of Mustang
No, no offence taken, just merely questioning why the humble Lime has been reduced to insult Smile Especially when there are such selections as the fine grapefruit or the all powerful yes underappreciated Pummelo. Both rich in nutrients and Vitamin C, guarenteed to fight off that nasty scurvy Smile
"A magician is one who appreciates the difference between knowing how a trick is done, and knowing how to do a trick."
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
In the 18th and 19th centuries, when citrus fruits were first used by the Royal Navy to stave off scurvy, limes were believed to be unripened lemons. The navy actually used lemon juice. Lime juice has too little Vitamin C to fight scurvy.

The confusion of limes for lemons led the members of the Royal Navy to be called "limeys" or "lime-juicers".

By extrapolation, it was broadened to include all Brits; it has a slightly pejorative meaning today and the terms "limey" and "juicer" are interchangeable.

And, now for the rest of the story . . . oops, that WAS the rest of the story! LOL!

Okay, now you know. But who cares?
Mustang
View Profile
Veteran user
London, England
316 Posts

Profile of Mustang
No one cares... but to confuse Lemons and Limes?.... only Americans...

Ok, done with my rants, hope I havent offended anyone, all in good humour Smile
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Americans are not the only ones who confuse the two. In Mexico small limes are called lemons. (sounds much better with the accent) Smile

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
The last car I bought was also called a lemon.Smile
Magic is a vanishing art.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card Size (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL