The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Flourishes With Small Hands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

HGM
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of HGM
I am a teen(13) so I have small hands are there any good DVD's that you could reccomend that deel with this problem because I am starting toget into flourishes and its quite hard so could you all please give me some advice

thanks

harv
Ismael
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Ismael
3 things don't worry don't do difficult flourishes get bridge size cards
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Flourishes are hard whatever size your hand. Don't be put off by this as you will get them down like everyone who takes this path.
Btw. My hands are small and I thought the same as you did. Now I can flourish with the best of 'em. (well maybe not the best).
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
onezero1
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of onezero1
My girlfriend has tiny hands and she can do the charlier cut,so don't worry about it.
'though it stands to reason that a samurai should be mindful of the Way...it would seem that we are all negligent.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5811 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Jay Sankey always talks about how he has wee little hands. Just practice.
HGM
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of HGM
Ok thanks for your advice now I now that I am not the only one with this problem I would like to ask one more question what is a good dvd/book to start learning flourishes from.

thanks

harv
onezero1
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of onezero1
Royal road to card magic has nice basic flourishes,and the card college series goes from basic to super slick, be careful though to many flourishes can spoil the "magic" of an effect unless of course your aim is to come across as a manipulator. Which is not a bad thing.
'though it stands to reason that a samurai should be mindful of the Way...it would seem that we are all negligent.
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Hand size is not an excuse. I had this excuse before but as I went along,I learned hand size doesn't matter. Take for example Lee Asher, http://www.leeasher.com/hand.htm he has small hands but great finger dexterity.

It just takes practice. As to where to begin, I recommend
Daryl's Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes-it has some cuts you will like and could be taken to the extreme.
The Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes by Jerrry-the best book I've seen on card flourishes. http://www.flourishman.com
Allan Ackerman Advanced Card Control series volume 4
Jeff McBride Art of Card Manipulation 3 dvd set

There are many out there. If you got the basics down, try getting the Showoff series by Brian Tudor.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
kxxcheng
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of kxxcheng
As a girl, I have really tiny hands too. It's just a matter of building up finger dexterity. Sure, you may not quite be on the same playing field as people with huge hands, but it's by no means a handicap, as I can fan, spring, even one-hand riffle shuffle etc without trouble. And I'm new at this too, only started this month.

I do sometimes have trouble with certain two and one handed cuts. For those, I like to use mini cards Smile

Oh yeah, the book you want is Jerry's bible as GeorgeSantos said. It's got tonnes of information. I actually find it easier to learn from the pictures (there are several thousand) than having to play video clips over and over.
Karen
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1234 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
I got Jeff McBrides videos on card manipulation when I was ten. They are great videos, and help a lot! I look at them frequently. I am 15, and my hands are small too. Practice practice practice. I bet you can do more card flourishes with your small hands than Shaquille O'neal can, and he has some big hands.
SirPoBoy
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of SirPoBoy
I would have to say that it doesn't matter what the size of hand is, it's how you use it. I had trouble the One Hand Revolution but I kept going at it, and now it's flowing with ease. No matter what you do, don't give up and it should come to you.

SirPoBoy
john oleson
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of john oleson
Hey, HGM ... have your hands grown since your early post? Are you still doing magic?

Did you ever purchase the Encyclopedia of Playing card Flourishes by Jerry Cestkowki? Lots of different options.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1291 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I have small hands, but work better with poker size (rather than bridge size)cards. It sounds strange, but production moves are easier with regular size. I've noticed however that Lance Burton who has long fingers uses Nielsen bridge size cards for some of his flourishes. So really, no easy answer ... its whatever suits you best. But the key is practice ... and uhhh... misdirection!
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2970 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
If all else fails, try modifying a move somewhat to fit your hand better. I thought that was cheating, until I read this in Cestkowski's Encyclopedia of Playing Card flourishes (which, as stated, is an awesome resource and worth every penny):

"I know the Thumb Cut is difficult for short-thumbed people like me. Skip it if you have too many problems. In fact, one of the reasons I invented the L Cut and Extension Cut was that I found it easier to [brief description of move] with my stubby thumb..."
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Outbreak Monkey
View Profile
New user
Brisbane, Australia
59 Posts

Profile of Outbreak Monkey
I'm not a big time flourisher, but I had heaps of trouble with just about every flourish when I was starting.

I had a lot of trouble with my charlier cut, and eventually gave up..

Luckily I came back to it - for me it was a matter of doing the moves slowly, and watching where I had clearance issues, and then working out where I needed to grip and how I needed to 'balance' in order to work around my SFF issues Smile

So yes, as everyone is saying.. Practice, but also be mindful of what's actually happening - why does this move work, where are the contact points, where are the issues, how else could it work etc..

Cheers,
Monkey
Outbreak Monkey
View Profile
New user
Brisbane, Australia
59 Posts

Profile of Outbreak Monkey
Quote:
On 2009-04-13 02:04, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
If all else fails, try modifying a move somewhat to fit your hand better. I thought that was cheating...

This a trap I fell in to too - I didn't want to 'cheat' on moves, so instead I got cranky, and just gave up! Smile
And when I think about it logically now - what a waste! Smile

While 'cheating' might matter to some magicians (I had mates that have fingers like E.T. and they always had a bit of a laugh at my attempts at one handed cuts). In most cases, what matters is how it looks to the spectators, if they're impressed and entertained, I'm fine with that..

It's probably easier to modify the move than to modify your fingers and thumbs - then again if you're really committed. Smile

Monkey.
MattMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Erie, CO
190 Posts

Profile of MattMagician
I have been really discouraged by flourishes until now. I have always felt like my hands are too small. But now, I feel like trying some basic flourishes and slowly moving to the extreme.

Thanks,

Matt
Matt Simonsen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Flourishes With Small Hands (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL