We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Close up act. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mayo
View Profile
Loyal user
WorymWood
211 Posts

Profile of Mayo
This act is a bizzare act in essance. So far this is what I have, thanks to the help of Jaz on this form. I really enjoyed discussing the patter with him, Very creative and a very friendly magician.
The tricks here are two that which are really basic.
1) Cups and balls; the basic no slieght routine. With a salt shaker twist Smile You will understand reading through the patter.
2) The Iceman Cometh which can be found in Micheal Ammars course on magic. so we will start.

Introduction:
Good evening ladies and gents, I thank you for coming. Now before we begin what I would like to do is go around the room introducing ourselves. We would hate to be strangers. But I do understand some people care not to be in the spot light if that be the case no pressure, just say pass. No further questions will be asked. I will start. My name is Mayo Welch, and you sir?
:End
We then go around the table which I am guessing to be 10 tops. introducing ourselves.

Introduction-part2:
Ah, All very nice names, I feel we can begin now!

Ice Man cometh:
Who would care to assist me? I would like you to select a card. Alright, Here you hold on to part of it.

I then go into the effect but before revalation I continue

IceMan Cometh-phase2:
Have you ever been so cold your breath hurt as it pushed itself from your lungs? So cold your eyes were hurting so bad you thought you would not be able to open them if you dared blink? I have. I know this sensation all to well.
:END

I then blow on the card case, as a stream of my cold breath hits the deck. I then lay it in the center of the table.

IceMan Cometh-phase3: Go ahead. Open it. Let everyone see!

That is the point where the block of ice falls out with there card frozen inside.

Cups n Balls intro:
Here is my tale, for those who would care to here.

Now for cups and balls. I mimick the " man" in the story.

Cups n Balls:
When I was in New Orleans visiting my Aunt and Uncle many years ago, the sun had just set and I took an early evening walk. I saw this man in a park talking with a child. I went to see what was happening, upon arriving the childs eyes lit up with joy.
'What is going on', I asked. 'Join us?' asked the child. The man rolled three balls out of three stacked cups.
The man then moved the three balls forward giving room to place his cups onto the table. He took one ball placed it on top of the cup, then proceeded to cover the cup. He asked me, 'do you believe in magic?' he asked. I just shrugged. This man had just slowly pulled his hand down from the top cup onto the table like so.
He then lifted the cups, and the ball had penatrated the cups!
I felt compelled to watch, and this time he placed the ball on the second cup! My eyes buldged at what I had just witnessed he looked upon me with a fair smile, 'I don't need to ask, I see it in you.' waveing his hand in front of the cups at the same moment, he lifted them showing that the one had just joined the other.
'It seems one more has joined' he spoke and both he and the child smiled. For a moment I thought I saw the glistening of pointy teeth.
He placed the ball onto the top cup and placed a dark scarf. He then told me to push the ball through, I trusted him and pushed and as I did, I was a bit shocked to find the ball melting slowly into the cups as my finger pressed it!
He looked deep into me with strong eyes and replied, 'I have found you at last.'
I felt a rush come over me, When I reagained my composure the man and the child were both gone. Leavening me with the cups, something I did not understand for quite sometime. That was the first step towards this magical journey."

Closing:
Again I am glad you all could come witness this with me, But all good things must come to an end. I hope you will come visit with us again, as I will be telling a bit more about myself. And please, enjoy the magic of your lives as it happens all around us everyday!
I bid you farewell, and a safe trip home.

Which I understand two effect ARE NOT pleaseing which I feel they could be... You all tell me your opinions. The vampire angle is an indirect goal. Something for them to think about. I am trying to avoid the mention of magic because it is so often related to "tricks".

But yes any constructive critisism is welcome.

Your friend,
Mayo
"I love the night. It's the only time I feel really alive."

---Helen Chandler in the film "Dracula" (1931)
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to l
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Nice work Mayo.

You're right, a lot of people like doing sets of three. I think there is something inherently complete about three effect sets. What is it about with us that we like things in threes. So I'm trying to think about that in regards to your set. I think you leave your audience wanting a bit more, which I think is a better "rule" to follow than the rule of three. I'm not sure that I would add another effect.

I like that the vampire angle is very understated. I've been intrigued since you brought it up in the bizarre forum.

Last line: change "toward" to "in" steps are taken in a journey or toward an end, but "towards this magical journey" is a little awkward. Nitpicky, I know. Sorry.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
I like your approach at doing things magical without directly talking about doing magic or tricks. You're just sharing the magic that is you...and I like it. Keep it up!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Close up act. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL