The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Fickle Nickel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
MichaelB
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of MichaelB
I just wanted to say this is one of those tricks I am getting a kick out of practicing. I haven't had the guts to perform for audience yet but I'm getting closer. I bought mine from Magic Warehouse. I understand you can also get it directly from John Cornelius as well. If by chance you haven't seen effect before, I posted a video at http://www24.brinkster.com/michb/videos/ (kinda blurry sorry)

-Mike

(if you happen to like juggling you can see a couple quick juggling clips at above link as well)
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
The effect was good enough for Doug Henning to use as the opener to one of his specials. If your angles are covered, it's a great effect, but that's a big "if."

Nice juggling!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
That was his very FIRST special, BTW! First effect of his first special. that's quite an honor.

As I recall, he expanded the effect by ending it with the production of a giant coin. Am I correct, Larry?

I purchased the effect YEARS ago, and enjoyed performing it on ocassion, however, there were times when I got cold feet, because it was dificult to accurately control the traveling path of the coin when the hand was turned over. Of course, as you know, if you don't do it PERFECTLY, there will be a visual flash of the nickel as it goes over the edge of your hand.

Then there was also the possibility of the t****d breaking, thus spilling the "nickel" noisily to the floor. And with my luck, murphy's law would kick in, and it would even land with the "bad side" up, thus exposing the effect even more.

Also, a lot of times, when the effect was set up and ready to go, as you know the t****d hangs loosely against your clothes, and it would often get snagged on some part of my clothes, and being in****ble t****d, I would not know this until I attempted the effect, but by then it is too late, and one is exposed to great embarrasment.

Even with all that negative stuff I just mentioned, I STILL think it's a great effect when performed smoothly as Doug did on that historical day when his television career commenced.

Too bad he let the Guru talk him out of a career rife with possibilities for untold things. we will never know what he might have gone on to accomplish had that not happened.

As for the Yogi, well, I know it's not nice to say, but I really believe I hate that guy for what he did. The only Yogi I ever loved stole picnic baskets from Jellystone Park.

And the part that burns me is this: Henning met this twerp while on his way to a magic shop. Almost like the creep was lying in wait. Grrrrr! Boo to him! Him and all his idiotic "Verdic Lotus flyers." (Many of you will know what I am referring to here.)

Well, my rant is over. (I hope.) Or perhaps it is just beginning....
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-02-03 20:22, daffydoug wrote:
As I recall, he expanded the effect by ending it with the production of a giant coin. Am I correct, Larry?

Your memory's better than mine on that one. I only recall the Fickle Nickle effect, but I was so blown away by it that I probably wouldn't have remembered anything he did that followed that.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
It blew me away, also. I vividly remember thinking "Where the h**l did the nickel go? He REALLY made it vanish! He's showing his wide open hand on BOTH sides, and it is NOT there! Holy crap!"

It just looked so clean to me at the time that I felt that WONDER that Doug so delighted in giving to others. As a young magician at the time, I felt real magic in my soul upon seeing his performance of the Fickle Nickle..
Jesse Feinberg
View Profile
Inner circle
www.jessesmagic.com
1074 Posts

Profile of Jesse Feinberg
I still don't have the fickle nickle. I have the raven, etc... but I don't know the handling... trade? just kiddin... I guess I can pick it up for a few bucks somewhere.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Did you mean you didn't know the handling on the Raven or the nickle effect?
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
I agree that this is a great effect, I first learned it from a M. Ammar Classic Renditions tape where J Cornelius teaches it.

Gary
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Have you got to use it regularly? Have you found a way to overcome the inheritant problems of the effect?
MichaelB
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of MichaelB
Someone had a thread a while back about tricks that fool yourself while doing them. This is one of them for me.

I have convinced myself that yes it is possible to perform the effect consistently. For a while I thought it might be one that you might never be able to count on.

I've also just had a thought that you could set it up by doing a couple quickie vanishes, ie. a retention vanish, a squeeze vanish or maybe coin thru hand....then as a kicker do the fickle nickel vanish - a mini routine.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Mike that's a great idea. You said you had convinced your self that it is possible to do the effect consistaently. with that in mind, may I toss a couple questions at ya'?

1 Did you previously have trouble doing it consistently? What specific problems did you encounter?

2 Have you actually had the experience, now, of seing yourself truly perform it correctly and consistently?
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Daffy you are right he changed the nickel into a giant coin then took the coin and put it into a Juke box which was shown empty and then produced his "co host" Bill Cosby. One of the most anticipated Magic Specials of its time.

Scott
Jim Stan Magic Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago Area
241 Posts

Profile of Jim Stan Magic Man
I have not done the fickle nickle for years. It is a great effect. The angles are tricky. I may have to go find mine and get to work.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-02-10 14:48, Scott Imler wrote:
Daffy you are right he changed the nickel into a giant coin then took the coin and put it into a Juke box which was shown empty and then produced his "co host" Bill Cosby. One of the most anticipated Magic Specials of its time.

Scott

Scott,

You must have been around as long as I have!!
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
He did change it to a big coin, but does anyone remember that if you looked closely you could actually see the thread attachment? It was live TV.
greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Greg, you must have had either better eyes or a better T.V. than I had. Smile
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
If you look directly behind his arm you can see it. If I remember correctly there was kind of a half shadow caused by either his body or arm and somewhere in that area you can see it. I wonder if anyone has a copy of that on VHS... I'd like to know if my memory is correct on this one.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
screenman
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of screenman
I believe this is similar to "Now U-C It Now U-Don't"
If you claimed to have stopped time, I would ask you for how long you stopped it.
evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
I just wanted to say that MichaelB's video is just gorgeous. I've watched it several times and just love how it looks. (Nice juggling, too!)

I've actually had this trick sitting on my bedside table for about a month as I've been meaning to play with it, so that's a bit of a cooincidence for me. I'm gonna HAVE to play with it now.
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
It took me a long time to master this trick. I took a break and went back to it again and got it in one day.

I have sweaty hands, so I had problems with the gimmick. Solution - powder.

This can't be done surrounded and it is really, I think, good for T.V. appearances.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Fickle Nickel (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL