The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » English Penny (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TommyTheTremendous
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of TommyTheTremendous
Whenever I perform Hopping Halves, people love it; but since my peers are teenagers, I get asked if they can inspect the coins. The half-dollar isn't hard to come up with seeing as how it is examinable at the end and not to mention you can get one at your local bank, but where can I buy an English Penny? (please don't say "In England, lol")
- Tommy Magic
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Almost any coin shop, I'd call first. I believe I paid about 35 cents apiece for mine.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
The problem with the old English Pennies is, that they are out of use since 1967 (I think this was the year). Now the 2p-coin is about the size of the old 1p-coin, but they are not the same coins.

So even if you can find an old 2p-coin (maybe you should ask a coin dealer), you then will show a coin as a real coin which is no longer in use...

By the way, I was thinking about the same problem. My question is: why is this version of Hopping Halves still produced? It shouldn´t be so diffucult to make a version with a 2p-coin and a half-dollar....

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
My hopping halves have a 1964 English Penny. I had no trouble finding a 1964 English Penny.

I don't think its so strange to use a coin that is no longer in circulation for magic. Unless you want to use a Sacagawea dollar, any dollar coins used in the States are out of circulation. Morgan Dollars haven't been circulated for years but I see plenty of them in magicians hands.

Vandy
Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
If your audience asks to inspect the coins at the onset of the effect, just tell them you'll let them see them in a minute, but you'd like to show them something first; then do the trick. When you're finished, the coins have both vanished so there's nothing left for them to inspect and you're off the hook. If you've done your job right, they'll be so amazed that they'll forget that they ever asked to see the coins in the first place. Mental misdirection is a valuable and effective tool. Use it to your advantage.

If they're asking to see the coins at the end, just say something like, "If you find them, let me know," or "If only I could get them to come back." If you're willing to show them the coins at the end, you're doing the effect a great disservice by admitting that the coins didn't really vanish.
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
Quote:
On 2005-02-04 11:52, calexa wrote:
The problem with the old English Pennies is, that they are out of use since 1967 (I think this was the year). Now the 2p-coin is about the size of the old 1p-coin, but they are not the same coins.

So even if you can find an old 2p-coin (maybe you should ask a coin dealer), you then will show a coin as a real coin which is no longer in use...

By the way, I was thinking about the same problem. My question is: why is this version of Hopping Halves still produced? It shouldn´t be so diffucult to make a version with a 2p-coin and a half-dollar....

Magixx

There's quite a difference in size between the current 2p and old 1p I think, and the old 1p is *exactly* the same size as 1/2 $, so I guess it'll stay that way.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
The reason that the people may want to see your coins is likely due to the presentation. Check out my post on Hopping Half routine which changes from the focus from the two coin trick where people want to catch you to a love story about two coins. You solve much more through routining and presentation than you ever will through fancy moves. Something to think about.

Another consideration is to update your coins to something more modern. I stopped doing the Hopping Half until very recently when I was able to obtain a Canadian Toonie (new $2 dolar coin) and a Mexican Centavo. I never really liked using an American Half dollar once we started using larger size coins. I noticed when I purchased my coins from Roy Kueppers (see http://www.roykueppers.com) that he makes a Euro coin and so if you really like the trick you can update yours by going through him. He also will do custom work as his version of the Hopping Half didn't include the copper expanded shell. He received some enquiries and now is making some for us. This is what led me to rework Steve Bacho's coins in love routine and put it to poetic verse. I'm still working on making it more flowery but the basic idea is there for me to edit, rework and play with.
mrj
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
68 Posts

Profile of mrj
Spookclub has them for $2.00 Canadian for 4 ungaffed coins.

Click Here!
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
http://www.daytonamagic.com

They sell them, too. I think it's 2 for a dollar (US).
If it is to be, it is up to me.
Dr. Faust
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, Kentucky
183 Posts

Profile of Dr. Faust
You can find them in coin shops and most magic shops. Johnson also sells English Pennies at a very reasonable price. If you can't find one in a coin or magic shop, look on e-Bay or any internet magic site selling Johnson coin tricks.

Hopefully helpful,

Dr. Faust
"I have such sights to show you!"
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2005-02-04 11:34, TommyTheTremendous wrote:
Whenever I perform Hopping Halves, people love it; but since my peers are teenagers, I get asked if they can inspect the coins. The half-dollar isn't hard to come up with seeing as how it is examinable at the end and not to mention you can get one at your local bank, but where can I buy an English Penny? (please don't say "In England, lol")

http://www.THEMAGICWAREHOUSE.COM HAS WONDERFUL COINS.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
tony4938
View Profile
New user
Stafford, UK
94 Posts

Profile of tony4938
How many are you after?

I have got quite a few of them I'm willing to send to you.

Let me know.

Tony
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
There is a shop on my high street that sells them at 10 to a pound (i.e. about 15 cents each). If you want I could send some.
Jolyon Jenkins
Paul h.
View Profile
Special user
MINDoverMETHOD
528 Posts

Profile of Paul h.
I seem to recall paying quite a bit more than other people are paying for these from Hank Lee's when I went to the showroom...Seems like these I either payed to much or was mistaken about the price.

Paul h.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2005-02-24 12:34, Paul h. wrote:
I seem to recall paying quite a bit more than other people are paying for these from Hank Lee's when I went to the showroom...Seems like these I either payed to much or was mistaken about the price.

Paul h.

I would expect to pay a little more at a magic shop than a coin for them, but not much.
jcigam
View Profile
Special user
Bellevue, Nebraska
507 Posts

Profile of jcigam
I would take rjenkins up on his offer. Magic Wharehouse is selling them for 10 times the cost. When I was living in England, I made a trade at Davenports, 10 .50 cent pieces for 30 English pennies (comes out to a little more than .15 cents a piece).

Good Luck,

Jered
"The mind has exactly the same power as the hand, not merely to grasp the world, but to change it."
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Actually I'd be very interested in a trade of English pennies for American half dollars or other large coins.
Jolyon Jenkins
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2742 Posts

Profile of John Long
Yeah, I too would glady trade a (english)penny or two for an American half.

I got 24 English pennies for $1.75 on Ebay.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
I live in South Africa and got pennies from a coin shop.They cost me 30cent(ZAR).Thats about 5c(US).
Andre
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » English Penny (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL