The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Tabary (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
sloopcamelot
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of sloopcamelot
As a magician's wife, I can say that I am a terrible audience. I am even worse when my son does slight of hand. When you know someone very well, you can catch abnormal behavior that anyone else would ignore. And sometimes, after seeing an effect twenty or so times, it is impossible to remain enthusiastic, even when its well done.

That said, I love Tabary. His performance made me fall in love with rope magic. But I find myself exhausted just trying to perform the whole act. I appreciate the idea of using just parts of it. I teach knots to sea scouts and I would love to slip some of this into my lectures on knots and lines tying. -Fay
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Hey Fay
Welcome to the magic Café, thanks for speaking your mind, and good luck with those scouts.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
michaelwriting
View Profile
New user
Kenosha, WI
55 Posts

Profile of michaelwriting
I have both Tabary videos and agree that they are very worthwhile. I have his 'main' routine down pretty good. I recently started working on his knot routine (tape 2, routine #2?). It gets pretty complicated, but I think it's more amazing than the standard routine.

Unfortunately, the explanation for the jumping knot routine seems to have a glitch in it. I can follow Tabary halfway through his explanation, but then he ends up with an extra knot that is not explained. I watched through the explanation several times and could not figure out where the second knot is made.
I might be mistaken, but has anyone else come across this, or is there anyone that can fully do the routine?

It's a shame because I really like the routine and really worked hard to get as far as I did with the first half of the routine. I might almost have to 'invent' a move for this.

Never heard of fiber optic trick. Perhaps I'll check it out sometime...thanks guys.

Mike
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Mike
I'de be interested to know what you thought of fiber optics.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
I have learned Tabary's rope routine and Three Ropes and a Baby and really like both of them. As far as the Tabary routine, I shortened it somewhat, by leaving out the travelling ends and sliding knot. Both of these are really nice moves, but I don't think the routine suffers at all because of all the other stuff that happens. I do have a question about Fiber Optics.......how is it different (or updated) from Three Ropes and a Baby?
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2773 Posts

Profile of John Long
Even though the original poster is probably no longer part of the Café, and apparently already made his purchase, I thought I would add some ideas that were barely brought out in the above.

I recommend getting sources that have descriptions of general rope magic techniques(as opposed to just a particular routine).

You will get the most bang for your buck with Fulves Self-Working Rope Magic (book; ~$6)

A more comprehensive source is the new Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks (book, ~$50)

Daryl has a 3 DVD set on Rope magic. These have a lot of material, including a nice routine(in vol 3). You don't need to buy the set, but Daryl's site gives a nice discount for buying the 3(~$72)

These sources will provide you with the tools to make many rope routines, and different types of routines: tricky knots, cut & restored, rope through body parts, ring and rope, escapes, spirit cabinets.. Good stuff!

I would also recommend viewing some videos of different performances(e.g. Roland Hennings, of the Café, has some very entertaining videos on magic video depot, Whit Hayden(also on the Café, has a very nice, and funny, routine for sale on his web site: Mongolian Pop-off Knot). There are certainly videos for FO & Tabaray's routines as well, for comparison.

Knots off.
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
boltt223
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona, USA
175 Posts

Profile of boltt223
I have to say that I am not much on rope magic but after getting the Tabary DVD's, He completely changed my mind. I love this routine. Even my wife who didn't like rope magic has also had a change of heart after seeing my in just a practice session.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I just performed the Tabary rope routine today at It's Magic magic theater and was able to see the audience reactions. The adults in the audience jaws actually dropped as I was gong to the routine. It kills.
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Tabary's rope routine has served me way more than what I paid for. It is a truly great routine.
That being said... I know that Tabary delivered his performance in a lecture style, but I didn't really think that Sander's presentation was the best in the world either. At least I didn't feel like crumpling printerpaper and throwing at the screen every time Tabary made a move and made magic happen. Mr Sanders' laugh is truly ..... irritating to say the least, and I didn't really like how he kept laughing every two seconds.
That being said, (once again lol) Fiber Optics is a great routine with very visual magic. But I would still go with Tabary because it flows better.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1768 Posts

Profile of wally
I will trade tabarys vol 1 for fiber optics or tabarys vol2. I live in uk.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Tabary (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL