The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » RATED - R by Sean Field (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
The upcoming book RATED-R by Sean Fields is jam packed with routines and effects. I liked it very much and I can recommend it without reserve to anyone interested in Mentalism and allied arts...

CONTENTS:

Epic

This is the now classic ‘Mental Epic’ effect, but with a difference. 3 spectators are brought forward, and each is asked to think of something; the first, a person, the second a place, and the third spectator of an activity. The magician approaches the first spectator, gazes into their eyes, and writes something down on a business card. The card is sealed inside an envelope, and the spectator is asked to initial the envelope, and reveal their thought, which is also written on the envelope. This process is repeated for the remaining 2 spectators. The spectators are each handed the envelope with their initials, and the procedure recapped. The magician wrote his thoughts down first, sealed them in an envelope, had the spectators each initial their envelope, and THEN reveal their thought, which was also recorded on their respective envelope for future reference. Each spectator opens their envelopes, and compares the magician’s thoughts to their own, they match!

My comments: A very CLEVER take on Mental Epic! I liked it!

For the Masses

Metal bending, for the masses! You are sitting at a table, with 8 or 9 of your closest friends, displaying your remarkable mental abilities. After several displays of your remarkable ability to bend metal with sheer thought, you remark that it is possible, with the proper instruction and training, for anyone to do it. After the scoffs subside, you offer to back up your claim, and bring forth several spoons, which can be inspected, they are normal, unprepared, and identical. Each participant is invited to select a spoon, and hold it tightly in their hand. This leaves one spoon on the table, which you hold up, and show to all, and explain that this will be a ‘gauge spoon’, and will be used to gauge their progress. After a few minutes of instruction, concentration, and the like, each spectator’s spoon is compared to the gauge spoon, and each spectator’s spoon has been bent noticeably!

My comments: The idea is quite good. I already knew this idea because I’ve read it in two different books before but Sean apparently did not. So he came up with that independently.

The metronome revelation

This isn't going to set the world on fire, but it is definitely cool. The effect on a spectator is eerily realistic, and it is fun to perform. The basic effect is a revelation of a card, word, or name, AS THE SPECTATOR THINKS OF IT!

My comments: The plot is the only REAL secret here! A fresh way to reveal a thought.

Out of sight, out of mind

A single card is shown to reside inside your wallet, and you explain that you want to try something with the spectator’s imagination; you want to see if imaginary images could coincide with reality. The spectator is told to imagine they have a deck of cards, and in a very forward fashion, they are instructed to eliminate cards, until they are left with one imaginary card. The card in the wallet is turned over, and it of course is the physical embodiment of the spectator’s imagination!

My comments: Very good! I loved this effect since when Sean shared it with me back then and I also remember I discussed with Sean a little “something” that I’ve come up with to enhance (or not) his effect.

North of the border

A spectator is invited to write the name of someone close to them on the back of a business card. The card is folded up, and as an afterthought, torn to pieces, to ensure the performer can’t sneak a peek. The performer concentrates, and stares into the participant’s eyes, and reveals the name being thought of!

My comments: This is Sean’s twist on billet peek and tear!

Shades change

The magician displays a coin on his outstretched fingers. Very slowly, he turns his hand over, and makes a loose fist. Just as slowly, he turns his hand palm up, the coin is now bent!

My comments: A CLEAN coin bending inside your fist… classic Sean’s style of course!

Glimmer

The performer introduces a deck, unopened, still in the cellophane wrapper, and tosses it to the participating spectator. The spectator is instructed to open the deck, remove the jokers and guarantee card, and shuffle the pack. Once he has finished this, he is then told to spread through the deck, and remove one card, and hold it against his chest, and to deepen the mystery, put the remainder of the deck in his pocket. After a moment or two of concentration, the mentalist, without any fishing whatsoever, names the selected card!

My comments: Reminds me of “Incredible” by Bob Solari but with no marker and with a more well-built plot around the thing!

Shimmer

The spectator is instructed to draw a simple picture, or write a word or name, or anything else they can think of, on the back of your business card, and turn the card face down. Once they are done, the card, still writing side down, is slipped into an envelope and sealed. After appropriate byplay, the performer reveals what was written in any fashion he so chooses.

My comments: Same Modus Operandi of Glimmer, but different handling.

Wandering eyes

The magician has a deck of cards shuffled. He the holds the cards by one corner, and turns his head. He then riffles through the pack, asking the spectator to say stop. The spectator says stop, and remembers the card stopped at. The deck is squared, and handed to the participant, the entire time the performers head has been turned. The mentalist immediately divulges the name of the thought of card!

My comments: So SNEAAAKY...

Materialism

The unlikely medium begins talking about spirits, ghosts, poltergeists, and the way they communicate with the living. He then offers a small demonstration, and produces a deck of cards, and has a card chosen. Explaining that there are spirits all around, who are privy to our most private moments, it is possible, if one knows how to listen, to communicate with the living impaired. The performer then introduces 4 blank cards, and shows each one blank on both sides. A blank is nominated to be the tablet of the dead, and a sharpie is to be their writing instrument. The blank card and the sharpie are held by the spectator, and after a few moments, the performer indicates that it is done. Upon opening their hands, the spectator is astonished, and perhaps a bit spooked to find the name of their card scribbled on the blank!

My comments: It's a very good effect but I would not limit myself to playing cards only! If you like to stay with "cards", you could, maybe, change a little bit the whole thing and use Major Arcana from a Tarot deck...

Bloody Mary

The magician introduces a woman’s compact, opens it to show the mirror inside, closes it, and places it on the table. A story regarding the urban legend of Bloody Mary is told. As the story is told, the names of the participants are written on the backs of the performer’s business cards. A card is selected at random to be the victim of Mary’s wrath. An invocation to Mary is recited and suddenly, the compact moves! The compact is picked up by a spectator, and opened, the mirror is broken, and scrawled across the broken surface is the name of the guilty party!

My comments: Something “bizarrists” may like and may change to their needs.

The serpentine spoon

A spoon is examined, and handed back to the performer. Holding the spoon by the extreme end, it is gently rubbed on the palm, where it visibly bends upwards!

My comments: Another clean variant in the category of optical bends! Well done, Sean!

e.z.p.

The psychic introduces a pack of E.S.P. cards, and explains their origin, and the experiments of Dr. Rhines. He then goes on to offer a demonstration of telepathy, one that would even impress Dr. Rhines.The spectator cuts the pack in half, and keeps half for himself. Now both the performer and the participant spread through their packs face down and remove a card without looking at it. The cards are compared, they are a perfect match! Going a step further, the performer shows that one card was removed from the pack earlier... it too matches the cards selected by the performer and the spectator! A remarkable demonstration of telepathy and prediction!

My comments: This effect is easy enough to perform compared to the "out of proportion" impact it produces!

Quality control

The magician states that after all this performing, he is dying of thirst, and introduces a variety of sodas. Unable to make up his mind, he asks a spectator to name one of the sodas, and the spectator obliges. The performer picks up the named bottle, and downs its contents in one shot. Immediately after downing this sweet refreshment, the magician explains that he is glad the spectator chose the drink she did, and one by one, pours the contents of the remaining bottles out, in each, there are a plethora of pins, needles, thumbtacks, and other potentially "fatal if ingested" foreign objects!

My comments: A Russian Roulette a la Sean Fields... This effect is the one I loved the most among the ones Sean has put in this book! For the inspiration alone, I rate this effect 5 STARS OUTS OF 5!

Pulling p.k.

The mentalist asks a spectator for the loan of a key, explaining that it may become damaged. The spectator is naturally hesitant, so the performer offers to use one of his keys, which he removes from his pocket, and tosses on the table. The spectator is instructed to look over the keys, ensuring they are all normal, and not prepared in any way. The performer then removes one of the keys, and pockets the key-chain. With a gentle touch, the key immediately develops a severe bend, and can immediately be examined AGAIN!

My comments: A little bit of set-up work for this one. I personally prefer the “impromptu” no-setting for any kind of bending but nonetheless the psychology behind the effect as well as the final result will convince many of you to try it.

Pulling teeth

The magician introduces his keys, and the audience is quick to realize that they are all blanks, that is to say, uncut keys. Explaining that this is a security measure, the magician then points out that it is an additional security measure, and offers a demonstration. Running his finger along the shaft, sparks are seen to fly, and a loud grinding noise is heard. When the sparks and noise stop, the magician is left holding a perfectly cut key, which he can use to open his door, a lock, his car, or whatever else he chooses!

My comments: This is a different effect using the same Modus Operandi you use for Pulling PK.

And more than that, in this book, Sean also explains you his 4-Ways envelope (an utility device) that you can apply to your needs.

On this matter, Sean, if you read this… may I suggest you to include in your book also your SEANVELOPE (I dubbed it this way but, essentially, is the SF envelope!) … it would be in good company with your 4-Ways one…

Once again... This is a very good book jam packed with effects and I can only say that Sean should have titled it “Explicit Contents OUTDONE”!
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Sean Fields
View Profile
V.I.P.
Winnipeg
891 Posts

Profile of Sean Fields
Thank you Paolo, for the kind words!

The copy I sent you was FAR from complete, and is subject to change... Namely the removal of Epic, and the addition of Gate 99, a thought of cards across.

Please, PM me, as I do have a few things to discuss with you.

Sean
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

I've PMed you!

And,btw, I love the name SEANVELOPE for your other 2-Ways envelope... Do you? Smile
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Sean Fields
View Profile
V.I.P.
Winnipeg
891 Posts

Profile of Sean Fields
HAHAHA! Actually, I do!
funstuff
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of funstuff
Sounds like a good read Smile
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2167 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Where can I get this book? I know Hocus Pocus sold your other book but I didn't find this one there.
James Watkins
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of James Watkins
I don't think this one has been released yet-- Good luck, Sean.

Later,
James
reasons14
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of reasons14
Can't wait to get it. I really enjoyed explicit content.
Cardguy52
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of Cardguy52
Gate 99 is a beautiful thought of cards across, sean showed me the last time we got together.Great thinking.
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Not to offend anyone, but almost all the effects seem like its been done before. I liked the idea of the roullete. I do a similar effect with drinks. I will PM you my method.
The method of revealing a written thing as in shimmer, is very much similar to Mark Paul's version in his Mind 2 Mind video.
I have Sean's Explicit Content, and I found most of the effects there to be refreshing.
To believe is Magic.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

You are right, but this can be practically said about most of the Center-Tears or Peeks or spoon-bendings or playing card revelations around.

And while some people think that we have enough card revelations, spoon bendings and peeks to last for a whole lifetime, creative people like Sean (and most of the top names in the field) seems to think that another way to execute a Center-Tear (or a Peek) and another way to bend a spoon or to reveal a card may be useful and interesting.

It's just a matter of choice...
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
When can we get our grippers on this?
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
bloodkin
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of bloodkin
Very excited about this book. Please post a release date as soon as you know it.
Sean Fields
View Profile
V.I.P.
Winnipeg
891 Posts

Profile of Sean Fields
Okay, just an update for those interested:

We are shooting the photos tonight, and over the next couple of days, the book is going through a rewrite, to clarify my ideas, and extrapolate on certain aspects of the effects.

I am hoping it will be laid out over the weekend, and editted next week. If I can stay on schedule, the book will be ready to go in less than 3 weeks.

Also, just to pique your interest, here is what some others are saying:

Paolo Cavalli - "Since I've read Sean's previous book I knew that its young author was destined to become one of the new stars in the Mentalism firmament. this second book shows just how much Sean put all his creativity and his true passion in creating, performing and writing. This little (big?) book really exudes Sean's attention to detail and its research for absolute perfection, but more than that, for absolute magic with devastating impact on the onlookers!"

Allen Zingg - "Sean Fields impressed me with his fresh ideas and approach to mentalism in his first book, Explicit Content. His new work, Rated-R, is a worthy sequel. I am encouraged about the future of mentalism with the "new wave" which both embraces what has gone before, and yet is willing to try new approaches to advance the performance of mentalism. Sean's latest is right "in there." Thanks Sean, for sharing your ideas with us."

Kenton Knepper - "The Metronome Revelation and Bloody Mary to me are worth the price of admission when played as real PK and mind reading. The wise will see true value in these and put them into their arsenal of realistic mentalism immediately. I know I will!”

Mike Giusti - “I am a firm believer in divergent thinking. The magic world needs much more of it, which is why I LOVE Sean Fields' "Rated R."
Sean has so many ideas, effects, and methods floating around in his head, he really should see a professional.”
bloodkin
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of bloodkin
Looking forward to it Sean!
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
The countdown to Mid-March begins. Sean, will you be offering any special incentives to magic Café members if they pre-order through you?
Brian-
Sean Fields
View Profile
V.I.P.
Winnipeg
891 Posts

Profile of Sean Fields
Brian,

I honestly haven't thought about that...

I would love to do that, so let me figure out just what I can do, and get back to you.

Sean
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Thanks Sean! :0)
-Brian
Brian-
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Good luck with the book Sean. I’m sure it will be as successful as Explicit Content.
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Just droppin' a line to keep this post alive.
Brian-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » RATED - R by Sean Field (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL