The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Peter Loughran's Relic of the Revenant (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
weirdmagic48708
View Profile
New user
Michigan
67 Posts

Profile of weirdmagic48708
When I saw the demo I was amazazed. No clue how it was done and I actually like it more than poltergiest because you really can get a good story line in with the chest it is in.
Illusion Experience
Featuring Head Rush
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
What's interesting to me in all these threads, (not just this one) where new products are "Reviewed" or commented upon, (without hands on experience with them) seem to challange a $1399 trick as if it was a $5 download...as if there was not the tremendous R&D and just plain hard work involved in getting them to market as a working trick. Flippant dismissal of not only the work but the hopes and even the dreams of the creator of the prop are just tossed aside and slapped down in some cases. Note I said some cases. I am always curious if those that seem rude or just butting in have ever bought an effect that costs over a Grand or even has a Horse in race?

I notice Peter say's that all 6 of the Relic sold...those folks who bought were players and evidently were not moved or persuaded by SOME who were not or are not of the ability to even play in the game. So what is the point of blasting an expensive effect...just because? Is the desire to warn people away because you see something others may not? Is there an agenda, or is there not? Peter seems to take a lot of heat on the Café...a place where everyone can take a shot, credentials or not and it's free to do...but established performers will buy anyway...especially a limited edition piece.

I'm just wondering why a toatally negative comment has to be made at all if there is no intention or ability of ever buying in. It very often seems an act of self importance and no more.

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
ScottLeavitt
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of ScottLeavitt
...and be careful in responding to Xmosis. everytime someone crosses him, they're never heard from again, and he's somehow able to deliver one more order for his shrunken heads.

Coincidence?

I think not.....
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Quote:
On 2005-02-08 20:52, Xmosis wrote:
What's interesting to me in all these threads, (not just this one) where new products are "Reviewed" or commented upon, (without hands on experience with them) seem to challange a $1399 trick as if it was a $5 download...as if there was not the tremendous R&D and just plain hard work involved in getting them to market as a working trick. Flippant dismissal of not only the work but the hopes and even the dreams of the creator of the prop are just tossed aside and slapped down in some cases. Note I said some cases. I am always curious if those that seem rude or just butting in have ever bought an effect that costs over a Grand or even has a Horse in race?

I notice Peter say's that all 6 of the Relic sold...those folks who bought were players and evidently were not moved or persuaded by SOME who were not or are not of the ability to even play in the game. So what is the point of blasting an expensive effect...just because? Is the desire to warn people away because you see something others may not? Is there an agenda, or is there not? Peter seems to take a lot of heat on the Café...a place where everyone can take a shot, credentials or not and it's free to do...but established performers will buy anyway...especially a limited edition piece.

I'm just wondering why a toatally negative comment has to be made at all if there is no intention or ability of ever buying in. It very often seems an act of self importance and no more.

Doug

AMEN to that Doug!!!
Peter, I checked out the effect and I think it is cool as hell!
I really wish some folks would try to take the time to actually INVEST, INVENT & INNOVATE before ranting on. It is far easier to put a match to the fire than to be standing on the inside of it ( as we both seem to do sometimes...that is...standing IN THE FIRE). Good luck with the new effect! I hope your hard work pays off as this looks like it was a nightmare of R&D Smile
Chance Wolf
Wolf's Magic
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
ventman
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of ventman
Great job again, Peter. I can't wait to get mine!
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Well....the effect IS good, but it certainly requires a great many steps to actualy do it. I mean, consider the sequence: I will now take a selection from this ordinary deck...which I will write down on this ungimmicked pad...which I will place in this innocent clear plexiglass box...which I shall rest upon 3 common plastic supports...which I will place on top of a perfectly ordinary antique box...and TA-DAAAA!!!
Then Consider the invisible deck....pop out a deck of cards, make a choice and BAM!
When I do an IT effect, one of my fave manuvers is to place the bill into a clear glass, hold my hand over the top of the glass, and cause the bill to jump, dance and float in the glass. People are mildly impressed, But the REAL shocker comes when I remove the glass and now the bill is seen floating all by itself in midair....NOW it looks like MAGIC.
The point is, the more props you have around an effect, the less magical it usually is and vice versa. That's what makes the impossible hank such a sucsess.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
So Mighty fool, the 2 minute routine was too long? I bet if you timed your invisible deck routine it wouldn't be much shorter assuming that you think this routine is too long? I don;t think 2 minutes is very long, especially when a performer has to fill 45 minutes or an hour.

Or is it just too many steps for you? If it is just too many steps, you can eliminate some of them. I do the demo for magicians. So they can see the possibilties of the item. They are free(and god I hope) they have their own creativity to do their own routine with prop. Or they could add more steps to make the routine longer. Take a Sub-trunk for instance a classic effect and audience pleaser, yet it has a ton of steps, the magician has the trunk inspected, he is put in handcuffs, he is then sealed in bag, he is then put in the trunk, the trunk is locked, and so on. And then those same steps have to be repeated when the magic is over to get his assistant out of the box. But steps do not make it a bad trick?...follow? Remember my routine on the video was done in silence for magicians to see only.

I should be clear on some other things here, first the Relic can animate much heavier items than any IT effect can, such as big ole steel ball bearing if you wish(as a an example showing weight).

Also it is not limited to just the ghost writing effect, as evident in the video!

Also let me point out that you don't have to have the plexiglas box sitting upon the wooden box, you could invite a spectator up and hold onto the plexi-box as the items animate. Or you could put the wooden box to the side, and keep the plexiglas box on your table, or you could hold onto it.

Finally I would like to thank Doug, Ventman, and Chance for their support, Doug I have been asking that question for a long time now.

And I think concerning Magic w/hart's argument, that it will be benificial reading Logan's last post, as he hits the nail right on the head.

If anyone has a question about this prop you can email me at peter@masterofillusions.ca or you can call us at (905) 571-5537
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
It's a real shame that some magicians feel the need to denigrate entire branches of magic. A restaurant magician doesn't see how a stage performer can use a larger prop to truly entertain. How enlightened.

Yep - there are spectators who don't like "box tricks." Of course, I've met my share of people who are forever turned off by invasive bar and restaurant magicians who refused to respect private moments, intrude, and somehow think they have a God given obligation to "educate the masses" that close up is much greater than stage where "the box does the work."

I'm sure Magic w/Hart would agree that there are lay audiences who, given the choice, would prefer a stage show with larger props and a more refined atmosphere than screaming kids whipping french fries at each other at the next table. I wouldn't be impressed if the fellow walking up to me used true telekenesis to perform "the jiggling wad of tissue" if I'm worried about the little ankle-biter at the next table ruining my new suit with his antics. Preferences, I guess.

If a performer cannot acknowledge the diversity of audience preferences, he has limited himself.

BTW Peter - nice effect.

--- Guy
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Why does a 'review' type thread turn into a discourse on whether Boxes work or not in the general scheme of things? So, someone doesn't like boxes...ok...I don't like playing card tricks, I find most to be boring...so should Card Trick review threads have me going in and generically ragging on cards and why I don't like pasteboards? Who gives a crap what I DON'T like?

D
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
All right guys, I'm back at my computer. Lets just clear a few things up. I have a lot of respect for Peter. I also have a lot of respect for stage magic. I may not do "box" type illusions but I still have a stand up show where I do material that suits a large audience. I have followed all the other threads regarding Peter's magic. However, you will not see a single post from me on any of those threads. Why? Because I don't have the product and I believe that Peter is solving real issues with his creations, eg. levitating with no "mediums", vanishing objects from thin air, etc. These are great and I enjoy reading people's posts regarding them.

But then I saw this. I immediately disliked it for the reasons that I said above. It is just so out of place. I makes absolutely no sense. There are so many illogical steps that I don't even know where to start. People are also saying that this is a great stage effect. What? Maybe for the first few rows. How could you possibly see what was happening if you were further back in the audience? This is at best a parlor effect.

When I am strolling I use couple different IT effects. A version of Phenomenon Fork and a version of Haunted Pack(spooked). I will sometimes do "ghost" from Spectators Don't Exist. Every once in a while I will do floating bill but from my experience animations are more powerful than levitations(IMHO). Anyway, I digress, what I am trying to say is, what do you think is the most common explanation that laymen give for these effects? That is if they say anything at all, I overhear them later, or a waiter/waitress says something to me about the customers comments. They always guess Magnets, never fails, I have had people say that I must have used magnets for the haunted pack! Sure, these people are grasping for reality but this is a logical guess if you are a laymen. So now lets look at Peter's effect through a layperson's eyes: You put two completely different boxes on top of eachother. One is opaque and one is not, one is much larger than the other. You put the object in the one on top and close it up, it animates/floats. Unless you go out of your way to disprove this I can guarantee that a layperson will guess that you are housing some type of magnetic contraption in the large box. It is just how they think. Once again this is a great effect to magicians and I am sure lay people will think it is an amazing puzzle but IMHO there are much more magical effects to spend your money on.

Please do not take offence to anything I have said. I am just giving you my humble opinion on this particular apparatus.
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

I am going to have to bite my tounge on this one. Clearly you have not read some of the other posts. Im not going to keep arguing with you, I think the previous posts from all members tell each side of the coin very well. You don't like it that's great! I don't particularly like sponge bunnies and according to another post you made in a different thread you open up your show with them, so to each his own right? We all have our prefrences, and ours obviously different, so perhaps we can move on so we don't sit here and waste anymore of each other's time. Wouldn't you agree?

P.
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2005-02-09 16:02, Peter Loughran wrote:
I am going to have to bite my tounge on this one. Clearly you have not read some of the other posts. Im not going to keep arguing with you, I think the previous posts from all members tell each side of the coin very well. You don't like it that's great! I don't particularly like sponge bunnies and according to another post you made in a different thread you open up your show with them, so to each his own right? We all have our prefrences, and ours obviously different, so perhaps we can move on so we don't sit here and waste anymore of each other's time. Wouldn't you agree?

P.

Yes Peter, your effect would be a much better walk-around opener than sponge bunnies...You must not do very much strolling magic in the real world.
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Oh BTW Peter, I am not trying to waste anyone's time. I simply was stating my point of view so I don't get flamed. Its funny though, you sure have a lot of time for people that praise the effect and even more time to go into other threads to see what I have posted. I will continue to talk w/ others, you don't have to comment on anything I say.
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

No I don't do strolling magic, just like you don't do illusions that was my whole point! Geez! You were the one who challenged us to look at your other threads to see that you hadn't said anything bad about my products in the past, so I did. This is just getting silly now.

P.
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Whatever dude. I will be sure not to comment on any of your effects unless I have something good to say. I thought this was the good , THE BAD , and the garbage. I must have accidentally stepped into the Peter fan club.

BTW, I got so sick of this debate that I showed the video clip of this effect to 5 of my co-workers(something I never do). Aside from their comments on how "spooky" the clip was they all said the same thing, "Cool Boxes, how much do those cost"?. Keep in mind that this is the same group of people who think I sold my soul to the devil after I performed "Spooked" w/ a borrowed deck at our Christmas party. Just thought you would like to know...maybe not.
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Magic w/ HART,

This is what people are trying to say to you about your comments:

this is supposed to be a review section of effects. EX: quality of item, construction, does it work smoothly, good value for money?, ease of set-up, etc.

you do not own the effect. we see this often in this section, people who don't own nor have seen the effect comment on it.

no one is saying your opinion is wrong, your opinion is fine. your discussion really is not so much about "Relic" but about the believablity of this type of effect. such discourse is interesting, but is beyond the actual scope of this section.

regards,

s
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2005-02-09 18:02, the Sponge wrote:
Magic w/ HART,

this is supposed to be a review section of effects. EX: quality of item, construction, does it work smoothly, good value for money?, ease of set-up, etc.

you do not own the effect. we see this often in this section, people who don't own nor have seen the effect comment on it.

no one is saying your opinion is wrong, your opinion is fine. your discussion really is not so much about "Relic" but about the believablity of this type of effect. such discourse is interesting, but is beyond the actual scope of this section.

regards,

s

Sorry...I'm sure it is well made if Peter put it out, just not logical. I will not comment any further unless I am attacked...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
I suppose if I invested the time, I might have a tough time reconciling:

Quote:
As I said above, I am not a box pusher, and this falls in to that realm IMHO. I don't care what presentation you use, lay people are not stupid.

and

Quote:
I also have a lot of respect for stage magic.

Or, reconciling:

Quote:
Keep in mind that this is the same group of people who think I sold my soul to the devil after I performed "Spooked" w/ a borrowed deck at our Christmas party.

and

Quote:
They always guess Magnets, never fails, I have had people say that I must have used magnets for the haunted pack! Sure, these people are grasping for reality but this is a logical guess if you are a laymen.

Ermmm, people think you sold your soul to the Devil for magnets? I've got an entire stack of 'em, and they won't cost you nearly as much.

Pedantic? You betcha! Smile

--- Guy
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2005-02-09 19:04, GuySavoie wrote:
I suppose if I invested the time, I might have a tough time reconciling:

Quote:
As I said above, I am not a box pusher, and this falls in to that realm IMHO. I don't care what presentation you use, lay people are not stupid.

and

Quote:
I also have a lot of respect for stage magic.

Or, reconciling:

Quote:
Keep in mind that this is the same group of people who think I sold my soul to the devil after I performed "Spooked" w/ a borrowed deck at our Christmas party.

and

Quote:
They always guess Magnets, never fails, I have had people say that I must have used magnets for the haunted pack! Sure, these people are grasping for reality but this is a logical guess if you are a laymen.

Ermmm, people think you sold your soul to the Devil for magnets? I've got an entire stack of 'em, and they won't cost you nearly as much.

Pedantic? You betcha! Smile

--- Guy

Its to bad that you are just quoting small pieces of what I said to belittle me. This is what happens to politicians in the media, they are quoted out of context to make them look bad. Am I not allowed to not be a "box pusher" yet still have respect for stage Magic? There are plenty of different types of stage magic. Some I prefer more than others.

As far as your other comparison regarding "spooked"(which you totally took out of context). You must not understand what spooked is. Either that or you don't realize that I have performed this effect hundreds of times and I was referring to one specific time at a christmas party. The quote about the magnets that you took out of context was an example of what lay people guess(if they guess at all) as the method when they see something this powerful. They are grasping for reality. This is the most powerful card effect you can do for a layperson IMHO.

Please read posts more carefully before picking them apart to make yourself look clever.
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Quote:
On 2005-02-09 18:02, the Sponge wrote:
Magic w/ HART,

regards,

s

Alrighty then. ALl the people step back except the ones who bought this. WHich is exactly six people bacause only six were made and they were sold according to Peter. Do I see anyone...NO.
This is the good, the bad and the ugly. Creators can comment or answer doubts. The fans- Please don't force things on the few rational guys left. If we say this is not good and you tell us to be quite, then say the same things to the guys praising this thing too. If you cannot accept the reality or opinions of other people, then please try to expand your vision of perception. It might actually do you good.
This is my last post regarding this.
AMEN.
To believe is Magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Peter Loughran's Relic of the Revenant (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL