The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Ideas of effects / patter for Chinatown half dollar (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
LordM
View Profile
Loyal user
Portugal
232 Posts

Profile of LordM
Hi guys,
I was wondering if you have any good ideas about patter and effects that we can do with Chinatown half dollar?

Thank You
Kind Regards,
JP

http://www.joaopedroso.com
wespetty
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
139 Posts

Profile of wespetty
David Roth performs/explains 2 different routines on his "Expert Coin Magic Made Easy Vol. 9 - Copper/Silver coin and Expanded s***l".
By the way, this same video is also the 1st half of Roth's "Ultimate Coin Magic DVD Vol. 1"

One of the routines has several phases and uses a white pocket hankerchief.
The other routine is the same one (using the envelope with a window) that comes with the Johnson Chinatown Half when you buy it. Who manufactured the set you have?

Cheers, Wes
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
There is guy that post here named Mike Wild that has good routine in his Tavern magic manuscript.
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Reed McClintock has a three fly using three different coins, it appears on his Coin Ovations DVD (called International Three Fly), this uses a CH, as well as a C/S.
It is quite a nice magician fooler, but for lay audiences may be a bit confusing. Worth checking out though.
Owen
LordM
View Profile
Loyal user
Portugal
232 Posts

Profile of LordM
Hmmm,
Sounds interesting...
sleightofhander, do you know where I can find that manuscript?
wespetty, the set that I have is manufactured by Johnson Products. I guess I have to take a look at that Roth video.

thanks guys
Kind Regards,
JP

Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
You can find my manuscript on my web site, or at lybrary.com & The Trickery's website.

The patter that I use for my "China Changed" routine is pretty stock. It's simply a "watch these coins do some amazing things..." type of premise, but the handling is very different from the classic variation. My routine is done in the hands, and into the spectator's hands, instead of using an envelope on a close-up pad.

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
LordM
View Profile
Loyal user
Portugal
232 Posts

Profile of LordM
Mike,
Thanks very much I'll take a look

cheers
Kind Regards,
JP

Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
You're welcome.

You may also want to take a close look at Bobo's MCM, specifically, the routines that utilize a "double-facer" or C/S coin. All of those effects can be done with the Chinatown Half set, and in most cases, can be done more convincingly because of the "hole" in the Chinese coin. It appears that the coins must be changing places... one has a hole and one doesn't, so what other explanation is there? They're less apt to suspect a trick coin using the Chinatown half... and more likely to suspect sleight of hand. However, if handled properly, they won't suspect either, and will be happy to have been entertained by good magic.

Mike

stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
I apologize for not knowing a source, but Ken Brooke's instructions for the Chinatown Half are the best I've ever seen. I don't know if Steven's Magic has reissued it or not.

Later.....
sam
LordM
View Profile
Loyal user
Portugal
232 Posts

Profile of LordM
Steven,
Thank you very much for the info. I'll try to fetch the source of that.

cheers Smile
Kind Regards,
JP

Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Also worthy of note is Don Alan's routine as performed on the Ed Sullivan television show. Don used a fez and (I think) a lump of coal.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
And then the mysterious visitor vanished from the bar, leaving a tip but no clue as to where the sugar packet went.

Meanwhile the shop opened and the employees met the new manager, a stranger from far away.

I never knew what the words on the coin meant, but they seem to bring luck.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Get a hold of Chuck Smith's lecture notes titled "What If?" He describes an invaluable moment--a gag, really--that allows you to introduce the "Chinese" coin in a funny, and lightly magical way.

If you've got one of those older Chinatown halves in which the "chinese" coin is obviously just a brass washer stamped with designs copied from a restaurant menu, it's better to own up to that instead of trying to pass the "coin" off as the genuine article.

There are two "standard" gags for coins with holes in them, and since no one has mentioned them yet, I'm not going to be the one to spoil things for you.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Ummm, Curtis... the piece of paper that accompanied the coin clearly stated that it's a replica of an authentic Chinese "Imperial Coin", and the Chinese letters mean all kinds of deep and meaningful things Smile

I tend to believe everything I'm told... I think that makes me a more selective person Smile

BTW, I wish the Schneider dragon coins came in half-dollar size, that would be sweet.

Mike

Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
Quote:

On 2005-02-09 07:32, Mike Wild wrote:
Ummm, Curtis... the piece of paper that accompanied the coin clearly stated that it's a replica of an authentic Chinese "Imperial Coin", and the Chinese letters mean all kinds of deep and meaningful things Smile

I tend to believe everything I'm told... I think that makes me a more selective person Smile

BTW, I wish the Schneider dragon coins came in half-dollar size, that would be sweet.

Mike

hum, I was looking for some chinese coins the other week and asked my girlfriend (who is from HK) which ones she liked. We looked at quite a number of magic shops (www) and she almost burst out laughing when she saw things like the Johnson coins, saying that they're the most fake looking thing on earth. Also, most of the chinese symbols on magic coins mean things like 'magic', 'miracle', 'wonder', 'magician', etc.
Real chinese coins on the other hand haven't had holes for quite a while now, and the ones that did usually had symbols saying things like 'luck', 'wealth', 'happiness' or names of chinese emperors on them.
But then these things are only of concern when you have a potential chinese spectator, everyone else shouldnt notice a difference ;-)
Brian Morgan
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of Brian Morgan
Roth's routine using the Chinatown half and the white handkerchief is easy but gets great reactions.
LordM
View Profile
Loyal user
Portugal
232 Posts

Profile of LordM
Brian,
In wich volume?

cheers
Kind Regards,
JP

Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
I'll second the recommendation for Mike Wild's Tavern Magic Manuscript. My Chinatown Half sat unused in a drawer until I bought TM. Now, I never leave home without it.
LordM
View Profile
Loyal user
Portugal
232 Posts

Profile of LordM
I Really have to bought that manuscript Smile
Kind Regards,
JP

wespetty
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
139 Posts

Profile of wespetty
Quote:
On 2005-02-09 12:05, LordM wrote:
Brian,
In wich volume?

cheers

I already answered this question at the beginning of your thread. Scroll back to the top.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Ideas of effects / patter for Chinatown half dollar (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL