The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Who or what first inspired your interest in mentalism? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Phil Goldstein
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
I have always been a student of the science of the mind. I took all the possible classes under Dr. Jaime Licauco. As a kid I would get all the materials I could about Uri Geller. Later in life I discovered the power of mentalism , entertainment wise. The more astute audiences seem to enjoy it more than slights etc.

Peace,

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Chan Canasta (yes, I am an older mentalist), Kreskin, Dunninger, the Falkenstein & Willard duo and one of my mentors - Tony Andruzzi.

Of course, starting out primarily as a stage hypnotist helped a lot, too!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Pharaoh Nuff
View Profile
Regular user
Third stone from the sun
119 Posts

Profile of Pharaoh Nuff
Barry Sinclair, saw him in the mid eighties.

Later it was David Blaine and Derren Brown.
Harris0n
View Profile
Loyal user
leeds uk
290 Posts

Profile of Harris0n
Ian Rowland
"There are times when the truth is necessary and times when myth-making is necessary." Nick Cave
LordM
View Profile
Loyal user
Portugal
232 Posts

Profile of LordM
What inspired my interest on mentalist, was at first all the psychology involved behind it. But I Have to say that I'm a mentalism addict right now thanks to my good friend gosman Smile
Kind Regards,
JP

http://www.joaopedroso.com
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
Uri Geller
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
ceeswing
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of ceeswing
One name: Richard Osterlind
and then a long list of books, inventors , inspirators.

Kind Regards
Cornelius
France
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2005-02-08 22:51, ChEeKy_MoNkEy wrote:
Thanks for your responses...would love to hear more...

Salsa - when you said Derren Brown - I was'nt sure if you were serious either! Nothing to do with Derren...more to do with the fact I get the feeling your interest in mentalism was aroused well before Derren was on the scene Smile

ChEeKy_MoNkEy, I have been into 'magic' since I was a little boy. However, my experience of mentalism had been old men and cardboard personalities. There was never anything exciting or thought provoking about the acts that I had seen.

I managed to get a great deal on some second hand magic books and there were some great finds within it, but my first read of a mentalism book was one on muscle reading and question and answer sessions. Not a good start, I dismissed it as dull and unworkable at the time.

As I played with 'magic' I discovered the reactions you got from mental magic and started to experiment, then I saw Derren Brown and realised that there were a myriad of different presentations available. Then I read Corinda and 8 months later I put on my first stage show. Smile

There it is, in a nutshell. So although I was already involved I have two people to thank for where I am at at the moment. David Blaine and Derren Brown. Go figure.
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Likewise, Dancer.
I've always loved magic, but I can trace my interest in mentalism back to watching David Blaine approach a stranger, hand him a deck of cards, and ask him to imagine that one of them is slowly turning over...
When he removed the deck and showed him that the thought of card was upside down in a face up deck, I nearly fell off my chair. 'Stooge' was the only explanation that came to mind.
Hello.
SGC
View Profile
New user
South London
10 Posts

Profile of SGC
Bazzer Munday, best con' artist there has ever been...

SgC
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
If there was one over the rest, the guy who inspired me was probably David Berglas. His apparent direct nature I really loved. And his show looked just like you were invited itno his living room as he invited his famous friends around.

Best,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Pharaoh Nuff
View Profile
Regular user
Third stone from the sun
119 Posts

Profile of Pharaoh Nuff
Smile Can someone tell David Blaine to stay out of the Pubs and Strip-Clubs for a while and get back on the street where he belongs ? Smile
Matt Andrews
View Profile
Loyal user
Switzerland
219 Posts

Profile of Matt Andrews
My sister-in-law gave me Derren Brown's "Mind Control" DVD (his Channel 4 show excerpts). I didn't know him beforehand (I live in Switzerland) and then I read on café the reviews on Richard Osterlind Mind Mysteries.

Although Derren Brown might have been a little seed, my interest for mentalism was suddenly awaken by Richard's DVDs. Watching Richard Osterlind's performance was definitely an eye opener.

Sincerely, Matt
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of MagoStevo
I will definitely go for Banachek!
Never ever have bad thought,you never know who is listening....
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
Well,I wasn't going to reply but I couldn't resist anymore,
To me, it was Ted Annemann!
And I'm not joking!

I was a card trick fanatic, just for the fun of fooling my friends at school, nothing fancy.

When I was 16, somebody brought me a copy from the US of "The Encyclopedia or Card Tricks" by Hugard and it was a great gift, the effects were lovely but the ones that I liked the most were the ones by this guy refered as Annemann.

So, I started to search for information on this "Annemann" guy, only to find out that he passed away maaaany years ago, but in my search I found that there was another book "apparently" written* by him : Practical Mental Effects and ... oh boy!, suddenly everything changed for me.

Then I found that PME was just a compilation from an even greater collection of effects called The Jinx and Max Abrams came out with "The Life and Times of a Legend" and that was my point of no return.

When I started reading and using this, I didn't know that this was "mentalism" stuff.
I was looking at it as the most incredible effects I have ever seen.

In fact, The first time that I read (heard) the term Mentalist was on these books, written in english and then looking at the dictonary for its spanish translation (my native language is spanish)

That was one of the reasons why I became so excited at the release of ETMMM by L&L and Richard Osterlind. It was like watching the movie made out of your favorite book.

All in All, my main influence were the words from and about this Master.
A Master that I will never had the chance to watch perform.

...mmmm, it looks like my post was somewhat romantic.
Bah!, What Tha' Hell... [SUBMIT REPLY]

__
*NOTE : PME was not written by Annemann, but when I started to look for information about him, this book appeared everywhere and most dealers stated that it ws written by him.
ChEeKy_MoNkEy
View Profile
Regular user
FCCL
149 Posts

Profile of ChEeKy_MoNkEy
Juan D wrote:-

Quote:
Well,I wasn't going to reply but I couldn't resist anymore,
To me, it was Ted Annemann!
And I'm not joking!

Well, I'm not sure why you were thinking of not replying - but glad you did - it was an interesting read.

Thanks for the input - I'm just soaking this all up! Smile
delbmarcs
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of delbmarcs
Bob Cassidy, Luke Jermay, Derren Brown... and can I say Kenton Knepper? In that order, these guys have been my introduction to mentalism and modern magic.
The thing about doing the impossible is that you've got no competition.
MR2Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville
179 Posts

Profile of MR2Guy
Easy. The Invisible Deck

Jason
Question every rule.
There are no absolutes.
Bob T.
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Bob T.
For me it was watching Kreskin on tv. Always when I heard he was going to be on the Johnny Carson show, had to stay up and watch.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Who or what first inspired your interest in mentalism? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL