The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » What type of material do you use for building a shadow box? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

biff_g
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
240 Posts

Profile of biff_g
I got some plans for building a shadow box, but it did not mention what you should use for the walls. I have been experimenting with a few things, but I have yet to find something that allows a really nice, sharp shadow to be cast on it. Any suggestions? Could part of the problem be my light source?
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3409 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
A really high watt bulb is best for casting the shadows. On my old "Shadow Box" I had great success with a 100 watt bulb, white bed sheeting (for the two sides and back of the box) and white "butcher paper" for the front. For the best results with assistant's popping out of the box, score a small "X" in the center of the "butcher paper" panel!

Have a good build! I really like this illusion...one of my favorites.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I built one years ago and used exactly the same thing. The fabric for the non-tearing walls lasts a long time. Be sure to get the width measurements on the butcher paper before constructing the frames. You want it to fit, but not have to be trimmed, except for the length. Saves time.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
biff_g
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
240 Posts

Profile of biff_g
Where do you find large sheets of butcher paper? I wasn't actually planning on bursting through the sheet (ala David Bamberg's girl from the light), but rather on lifting the front up to reveal the person that has appeared inside. Does this make a difference? is Butcher paper still the best, or is there something that would work better? Someone once mentioned parachute silk, has anyone experimented with this?

Thanks for all the help!
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3409 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Believe it or not, I obtained the butcher paper from...a butcher shop. There's nothing like having the shadow appearing and then disappearing on the front panel, then the assistant bursting through. Nice punch! If you wanted to try something else, material wise, I would suggest maybe white spandex with a split down the middle of the panel. Not to sure about the shadow resolution though.

Happy experimenting!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
magic-taylor
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic-taylor
Butcher paper is also available in large roles from educational supply stores.
boboshempy
View Profile
Veteran user
Jersey
374 Posts

Profile of boboshempy
Where did you get your plans? Are you pleased with them?
PaxMentis
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, CA
239 Posts

Profile of PaxMentis
Butcher paper can be readily purchased at most paper supply companies. If the company is large enough, they will probably handle different widths and not be limited to only one size. Bed sheets on the sides are what we used. Easy and inexpensive to replace. We used basic Osbourne plans and then modified them. As with most of his plans, there is a wide latitude for interpretation. Good luck.

Pax Mentis
Do not go where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The Shadow Triangle Illusion mentioned in the 'PVC Pipe and Dollar Store Illusions for the REALLY, REALLY Cheap Illusionist' book uses white plastic tablecloths from the Dollar store. They are thin enough for a good clear shadow, yet strong enough to last awhile. If you want to tear through one, you just provide a small slit in the center so the appearee can stick a finger through to begin the tear. Best of all, they're really cheap (99 cents to a dollar).
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Profile of Scruffy the Clown
ANother place to look for paper is your local newspaper. They usually have the end of the roll that you can buy reasonably. And it's pretty wide.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » What type of material do you use for building a shadow box? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL