The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Trio In Three by Gary Kurtz (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
wespetty
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
139 Posts

Profile of wespetty
2 Jumbo (3 inch) Half Dollars (and possibly one Jumbo [3 inch] Chinese coin if you prefer the alternate ending that Gary also teaches).

If you don't already have one, I'd advise going ahead and getting the Jumbo Chinese coin. The 3 inch Chinese coin is also used/needed for the "Copper/Silver Continuation" routine (which I think is more pracical than the "Flurious" routine).

Cheers, Wes
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Thanks Wes!
A Chinese Jumbo Coin has a hole in the middle. Will this be a problem let's say, you conceal another coin behind it?
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2005-02-12 22:36, wespetty wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-02-12 15:26, Chuds wrote:
if you can learn flurious, but trio ot misty like a dream, though they are bascially the same

Chuds,
This sentence doesn't make any sense. Care to clarify?

I think Chuds is confused on the effect we are talking about. In Gary Kurtz's book he published a trick called Trio, which is basically his Misty Like a Dream act (Creating Magic video) except shortened (or not as developed as in Misty). Trio in Three is a trick using the 2copper/1silver gimmick to make 3 different coins appear under 2 cards, then transpose, etc. They are two different effects except that the names are similar.
wespetty
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
139 Posts

Profile of wespetty
Quote:
On 2005-02-13 11:24, GeorgeSantos wrote:
Thanks Wes!
A Chinese Jumbo Coin has a hole in the middle. Will this be a problem let's say, you conceal another coin behind it?

George,

Yes, a Jumbo Chinese has a hole through it, but this does not affect the handling in Gary's "Flurious" or "Copper/Silver Continuation" routitnes.

So, regarding the two routines above - it's not an issue. I don't know of any routine where seeing through the Jumbo Chinese coin presents a problem, but that doesn't mean such a routine doesn't exist.

George, out of curiosity, what routine do you have in mind where the hole may present a problem?

Cheers, Wes
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Wespetty,
Shooting Kennedy by shoot ogawa. He conceals 3 other jumbo coins behind one that the audience sees.

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
wespetty
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
139 Posts

Profile of wespetty
Ok George, then wouldn't the simple solution be to not have the Chinese coin be the "forward" coin?

By the way, I totally forgot to mention the 5" Jumbo coin that Gary uses for his standard ending to "Flurious". However, I think his alternate ending (where the 3" half dollar changes to a 3" chinese coin is the more practical of the two endings (not to mention being less expensive than a 5" coin).

So, just to be clear, here's a list of what you'd need if you want to perform "Flurious".

Standard version: 1 silver dollar coin (or you could use a half dollar), 2 Jumbo 3" half dollars (or 3" silver dollars if you'd like the coins to be consistent), 1 silk (18" I believe), and 1 Jumbo 5" silver coin (again, probably want to get one that is consistent with the previous coins listed). You MUST be wearing a jacket to perform this routine, but you can have the sleeves rolled up if you want. You'll also need to wear a little something extra to accomadate the 5" coin.

Alternate ending version: Exactly the same as above except you use 1 Jumbo 3" chinese coin rather than the 5" Jumbo coin. The coin doesn't HAVE to be a chinese coin - it could be any other highly contrasting 3" coin. The handling is also slightly different (more practical) with this ending due to not having to steal the 5" coin. This also means that you wouldn't have to wear the something extra mentioned above. However, a jacket is still required.

George, I sent you a PM.

Cheers, Wes
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Special user
Lake Worth FL
908 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
I've watched Gary's Flurious routine countless times on his A-1 video. For me, it's just that 'Flurious'. The whole routine is a blur. There's not enough time to appreciate what's happening. Is it possible that his performance is perhaps a bit rushed? I'm certainly not trying to disparage Gary. I'm a big fan. Can/should this routine be slowed down a bit in order to appreciate it's greatness? Perhaps it's better to be seen live than on tape. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4455 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
David is right, yes I am sorry, I got confused. I was referring to Trio from the book when I spoke about it being like misty like a dream. My mistake. Trio in three is rather nice and very magical looking, however, I don't own the gimmick, I just don't use the routine. Gary does make it look great on video and I'm sure it would look even better in the real world, but I'm not a huge fan of using gimmicks, especially this 1 as it uses 3 coins that aren't used much anymore. that is just my input that I'm sure someone will argue agianst
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
DVA
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of DVA
I would agree with you chuds IF you are working impromptu. If you are doing a "show" you can basically use whatever you like as long as your script suppports the use.
wespetty
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
139 Posts

Profile of wespetty
Quote:
On 2005-02-15 06:38, Chuds wrote:
...it uses 3 coins that aren't used much anymore.

Crikey mate - that could be said of 90% of coin magic! Don't want to use a 2 Copper/1 Silver set because nobody uses those coins anymore? Nobody is using the "chinese" coin that's in a C/S/B set either. For that matter, pretty much nobody (other than magicians) carries a half dollar with them anymore!

If we did coin magic ONLY with existing/currently issued coins, it would get pretty dull fairly quick. Yes, there is something to be said for performing miracles with borrowed coins, but there is also something to be said in using "intrigueing" or unusual items too. They spark interest. If you have any doubts, click the link provided in Dan's post here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=3984531

Doesn't some of coin magic's uniqueness come from peaking the interest of the spectator with old/unusual coinage?

Next time your in public - show someone an old/unique/rare coin. Don't do any magic, just show them the coin. They will look at it with interest. People are inherently curious (fascinated?)in coins. Seems to be human nature.

Cheers, Wes
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4455 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
I'm not saying that. I personally use Ultimate 3 fly and sometimes a Chinese bit when I am out. I was just stating that it uses old coins, a Mexican Centavo, an English penny, and a half dollar, I think. What I meant was I don't know how available they are.
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
nique
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
836 Posts

Profile of nique
Just to add to everything that has been said.
Gary Kurtz is one of my favorite magicians
You cannot go wrong with any of his books or videos.
Highly recommended.
"ChairLess - A Chair Prediction"

"Epique - A Mental Epic"

"TAP - The Assignment Prediction"

PM or email me for details:

niquetan@gmail.com

Reviews here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=462773&forum=303&13

https://m.facebook.com/niquetanmindreader/

www.niquetan.com
wespetty
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
139 Posts

Profile of wespetty
Quote:
On 2005-02-16 05:29, Chuds wrote:
I was just stating that it uses old coins, a Mexican Centavo, an English penny, and a half dollar, I think. What I meant was I don't know how available they are.

They are all VERY available. Not that it even matters since all the necessary coins are provided when you buy a 2 Copper/1 Silver set (you only need to provide one regular half dollar, which is available at most banks).

Cheers, Wes
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Sorry to sound stupid since I never used coin set gaffs before (plus I live in another country), what exactly is a 2 Copper/1 Silver set?

Foreign coin magic sets are rare in our magic shops here so I'd like to know what they are and make my own gimmicked set.

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-02-25 03:31, GeorgeSantos wrote:
what exactly is a 2 Copper/1 Silver set?
Exactly the same as C/S/B..you could call it C/S/C Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Are these gimmicked? If I buy in a coin shop, since you said it is C/P/C meaning Copper Silver Copper, I buy 2Copper Coins and One Silver Coin?

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-02-25 04:08, GeorgeSantos wrote:
Are these gimmicked? If I buy in a coin shop, since you said it is C/P/C meaning Copper Silver Copper, I buy 2Copper Coins and One Silver Coin?
I really think you should consult *Bobos New Modern Coin Magic*, look under Conrad (Conny) Haden or look in a dealers catalogue..they all have them..Look f.ex. for Johnson Products whatever.
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Thanks, I'll try that.

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Jean-Denis
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
126 Posts

Profile of Jean-Denis
About what happened to Gary Kurtz:

He's currently performing a mentalism show here in Montreal in one of the most respected theaters (a quite big one). I saw his show and was very amazed by his presentation skills and talent to convince. Here in Quebec, a LOT of people talk about Gary, as he makes a lot of advertising on TV shows, and most people are not sure if he has real powers or not. Probably the majority think he has a "special" something. I'm sure he's probably the best mentalist ever... and I'm happy for him that he "left" magic to get so great reactions from mentalism. Since he began to get popular with mentalism, he is very well known from the general public (not only magicians).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Trio In Three by Gary Kurtz (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.52 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL