The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Oil for Appearing Canes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of knmagic
I have a silver metal appearing cane that opens very quick but it's very hard to collapse it. I think it needs oil. Would someone please tell me what kind of oil or spray that I shoild use to wipe the canes with? Or what I should do to collapse it easily?
Any suggestion is gretaly appreciated.
Thanks
Ken
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1799 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I always used 3-In-One Oil or WD-40.
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of knmagic
Where do you get 3-In-One Oil? Does it smell like WD-40? Thank Magicmikey for your input.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7346 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I usually get some gun lubricant that sprays on. WD-40 will also work.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
dreid007
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of dreid007
Wd40 works great
dreid
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1302 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
I use sewing machine oil. Its clear and pretty much odorless, just put some oil on a kleenex and wipe the cane with it. Try the oil first, that might help in collapsing the cane. If it doesn´t, maybe you´re not giving the cane enough slack when collapsing it
Sent from my Typewriter
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1799 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
You should be able to find 3-in-one oil at any hardware store but if not, here's a link: http://www.cornerhardware.com/item_26528......tem.html (Actually, a lot of links came up when I did a search on Google.)

It does smell a little but it's not awful. mvmagic's idea of sewing machine oil should probably work well also. You just need some kind of lubricant on a regular basis, unless you use one of the Japanese canes that don't rust.
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of knmagic
Thank you all for your help. The gun oil, swing machine oil work good. I haven't tried the wd-40 (smell) and the 3 in 1 yet. Thanks again.
Ken
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
One option folks don't think of much is mineral oil. Odorless, colorless, non-toxic and readily available. Used frequently for machinery epecially in high tech applications.
Can be placed in a pump delivery system (available in most kitchen supply stores) or wiped on but will need to be wiped off in large part with a clean cloth or paper towel.
If using as a spray, DO NOT INHALE as you spray.
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I get slightly used silicone oil from a copy remair man friend. they change the oil out on a regular basis, it is still very clean, clear, light, has virtually no odor, and a pint (for free) lasts longer than I have had it!!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11897 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Isn't there a safety issue with using oil on these canes? I mean, doesn't it cause it to become slick which allows it to easily slip out of your hand?
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Well, usually, like most oil jobs, you apply, then wipe off the excess. it leaves enough of a film to do the job and protect, but not drip and fly away.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
jnrussell
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
206 Posts

Profile of jnrussell
I've always used sewing machine oil... no smell, no residue, works great!
John Russell
Mastering Magician
www.TheMasterMagician.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Oil for Appearing Canes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL