The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Quarters to Half Dollars? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
felixjr
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of felixjr
Hey Coin Handlers,

I'm looking for an effect which allows me to show 4 quarters and then turn them into 4 half dollars to continue. Is there a move or some kind of switch I can do without to much trouble? This effect would be performed sitting at a table.

Keep in mind,I'm new to coin magic, so any references would be helpful.

Thanks,

Felixjr
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
This is pretty basic coin magic stuff, esp. if you are seated at a table.

Pick up a copy of Bobo's The New Modern Coin Magic. Find the hardbound editon at a magic dealer and not the shorter paperback version from Dover.

Question: Why would you change quarters to half dollars? I don't understand the motivation.
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Finger Palm the 4 quarters then pretend to toss it to the the other hand. Do your magic gesture and reveal the change. This is basic coin magic.

If you really get into it, search for the move called "Flying Shuttle Pass". Jay Sankey uses this move a lot. You can show 4 quarters in one hand, toss it to the other hand and it lands as 4 half dollars or whatever you want it to be.

The move called "Inertia Pass" can also be used to accomplish your effect. It is also known as the "Sylvester Pitch"

I too don't get the point. Why turn 4 quarters to 4 half dollars?
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Why not? It's magic, and he's doubling his money. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
Quote:
On 2005-02-10 01:48, Pete Biro wrote:
Why not? It's magic, and he's doubling his money. Smile

It's also math, and he's quadroupling his money. Smile
Comedy and then the magic
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
65 Posts

Profile of Comedy and then the magic
And obviously you wre up too late with your math skills buddy cause he really was doubling his money, lol.
"Always Make It Magic Plus Laughs" - R.I.P. Mark Hendrickson
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
Doh...I read 4 quarters to 4 dollars. lol

Sorry.
Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
Quote:
On 2005-02-10 01:13, wsduncan wrote:
Question: Why would you change quarters to half dollars? I don't understand the motivation.

By borrowing four quarters and subsequently changing them to halves, you eliminate the "half dollars vs. borrowed coins" dilemma.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
If you are worried about people thinking there is something "funny" with half dollars changing their quarters into half dollars isn't the answer... Just do the magic with the quarters.

As for "It's magic, and he's doubling his money"... well that's like doing the $100.00 bill switch with a ten spot. Changing a small amount of money into a slightly larger amount of money is like sawing a picture of a woman in half.

Malini would borrow a coin, split it into two identical coins and pocket the "new" one as he returned the original. THAT'S Magic, because it makes sense... Doing the same trick with four coins doesn't make it better, just harder to do.
Comedy and then the magic
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
65 Posts

Profile of Comedy and then the magic
I would suggest also a pu** that holds multiple coins quietly. I believe you can get them from your local dealer, I had the opportunity to play around with it and man is it fun stuffing all these half dollars in there and vanishing everything without any talking of coins.
"Always Make It Magic Plus Laughs" - R.I.P. Mark Hendrickson
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1947 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I like the idea and I think you should do it if you want. Honestly..... if we all stoped doing something simply because someone couldn't see the point in it, well I don't think we'd be doing magic period. There are a lot of people who don't see the motivation for our little trifle we call prestidigitation.

Perhaps you could work out a few methods and do the transpo. 1 coin at a time? then build to a climatic ten dollars to one hundred.
Call it the double your money demonstration.

Assuming you could work out how ten to a hundred is doubling...... My math was bad there, sorry
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
583 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
I like the Sol Stone trick where you take a silver dollar, break it into 2 halves, than 4 quarters.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10720 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Mickey Silver's effect he has a silver dollar in each hand bangs his fists on the table and the coins turn into two half dollars in each hand ,THEN HE POUNDS HIS FISTS ON THE TABLE AND THE COINS BECOME QUATERS, FOUR IN EACH HAND......
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
vilewarner
View Profile
New user
Massachusetts
75 Posts

Profile of vilewarner
Why doesn't the change make sense wsduncan? I don't understand your motivation.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Felixjr,

You might want to try this: Learn the Han Ping Chien move, or the Gallo pitch. Use it to show that the four quarters have become eight, and then combine them all into four halves.

Go south with the Q's as you put away twoof thehalves, and do a two half trick, then bring back the other two, if you want.

Or, just borrow one quarter. Turn it into a half, and then multiply the halves. Fewer coins to manage, and perhaps more within your reach at the moment.

All of the above will take work, but by the time you can do them, you'll know better whether it's worth doing in the first place. I, for one, like the fact that you're thinking about where you're going before you start. As Gary Kurtz said, "Lead with your Head."
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
Quote:
On 2005-02-10 16:02, wsduncan wrote:
If you are worried about people thinking there is something "funny" with half dollars changing their quarters into half dollars isn't the answer... Just do the magic with the quarters.

that's what he is doing -- he is changing them, which is pretty magical. And why is that not the answer ? It seems pretty logical to me - all you need to do is say is something like 'I want you to pay close attention -- but these quarters are a little small & I don't want you to miss a thing sooo...' = instant motivation.

This is just off the top of my head, but changing quarters to halves & then changing them back again can be a pretty neat trick by itself... 'It was all just an illusion, here's your quarters'.
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
Exactly!
felixjr
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of felixjr
Wow!!Thanks for all the discussion and advice. I went back and thought of how to simply my trick. Sometimes you just need a different point of view to see something that you didn't see before.

Thanks again for helping me out. I ended up going from a Dollar Bill to 4 Quarters, instead of a Dollar Bill, to 4 Half Dollars, to 4 Quarters.

:spinningcoin: Felixjr
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Here's a quick and simple half to Quarter to half type routine. Maybe it will give you some creative fodder to work with...

Transfusion

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2875 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
There was an effect in my 1990 book, Top Secret Stuff called "Fusion/Fission." Here's a brief description: CP half in RH. Borrow 2 quarters and hold 1 in each hand. Close both hands CPing the Q in LH as you say, "If I squeeze the quarters nothing happens." Open both hands but keep LH turned away a bit. Now use click pass to apparently place Q from RH into LH. Actually the half ends in LH while Q is CPed in RH. Say, "But if both Q's are squeezed together, somthing interesting happens. We get fusion." Open LH showing Half and keep Q concealed with Kaps. "The 2 Q's fuse into a single coin, a half dollar." Take the half into RH and pretend to squeeze it. Actually perform a palm to palm change switching the 2 coins as you say, "If I squeeze the half dollar, nothing happens." While doing this, allow the p'd Q in LH to drop to the fingertips. Now say, "but if I tear the half dollar we get fission. It breaks into its constituent parts - 2 quarters." While saying this, bring both hands together with fingertips touching. Make a tearing motion allowing the Q's to click together for effect. The half has apparently been "torn" into 2 quarters.

Note: Daryl has a 2 quarters to a half called "Close Quarters" from Harris' Close Up Fantasies Finale.

There are also 2 fusion effects in my earlier book, Powerful Magic (1983). One is from Gary Kurtz, the other was mine.

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Quarters to Half Dollars? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL