The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Black Art (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
chrispuppets
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of chrispuppets
Yes Gogia Pasha did a Black Art Act, I saw him perform in the UK in the late 1940s at the Bradford Alhambra - a Variety (vaudeville)theatre. The very same act was recreated for a television series called The Good Old Days in the 60s - these were made in the Leeds City Varieties theatre and are currently being repeated. If you want to see an authentic black art act with only black velvet and proscenium lights (blinders), long before UV lighting, back projection or CGI, then here is the link.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0......02071980
The link will only be live for a limited period. It is still remarkably effective.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Does not work outside UK.
chrispuppets
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of chrispuppets
Well there are ways around that but you'll need the help of an internet expert. I know that it is possible for us in UK to download USA only material by using a virtual IP which conceals where we are located. I'm sure you can do something similar from your end. If you haven't a friend who can help try posting a request on Google. Alternatively there are some browsers which offer use of a virtual IP - OPera does, I think, or try Epic Privacy Browser. It's worth a bit of effort if you've never seen Black Art.
chrispuppets
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of chrispuppets
I'm told this may help. It's a paid for service but has a 14 day free trial I think so worth a try.
https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/?afid=916caa80b1bf
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
In the '40s, U.F. "Gen" Grant sold a black art "prop". It was "DeGraham's Utility Outfit", (IIRC). It was a "parlor" prop. --A table, with a black screen. I only met Don Drake once, when he lectured at Abbott's in Colon. Don had really done his "homework"!

I think that it was '78, and, Jay Marshall had "booked himself" at the SAM convention in Boston, with a black art act. He had bought (I think it was Vic Torsberg's black art props). We had to do a major "re-fit", as the black "suits" were about worn out. Jay bought a bolt of black cloth. Several of us helped. We spread the cloth on the floor in the "auditorium". Then we lay down on the cloth, and Jay "scissored" around us!. We used a desk stapler to fasten the black material together, and, the act looked great! I don't think that Jay ever presented it again.

In the early '50s, I saw "Dolinoff and the Raya Sisters"at the AUTO SHOW in Chicago, It was a "dancing act". Dolinoff was in "black", and the girls danced. The girls did "impossible" acrobatics (with Dolinoff "helping"!)

When I was a teenager, I bought Percy Abbott's Square Circle. It was advertised as "New Livestock Vanish". The black art illusion was fine, but the prop was much better used as a production.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Cauan
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Cauan
I like to use tarrot gimmick cards
In tarrot we have a lot of dark cards and with gimmicks omg is so easy to scary people
But as a dark art I like to use I.T. and some good ghost stories (p.s. jokes will be a must)
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
My wife took me to see Richardi Jr. some time between 78 & 80. I remember someone doing a acrobat automation and a black art act. Was that Omar Pasha?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
chrispuppets
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of chrispuppets
It could well have been Ed, either the father or the son. It was the father I saw as a boy, and the father I also worked with as a young professsional, but the son eventually took over and did the identical act. As I recall he opened by producing a very large white cloth from a hand held box. Then from the silk he produced a folding chair. He draped the cloth over the chair, whipped it away to reveal a hunky, beturbanned slave sat on the chair. He proceeded to behead the slave with a scimitar, putting the the severed head in the slaves lap. He then replaceed the head and, unharmed, the slave walked off.
Omah then unrolled a banner, a picture of an eastern beauty, the picture changing to become a live girl who stepped out of the banner. The cloth was thrown over girl who promptly vanished. Finally, centre stage, Omah Pasha briefly covered himself with the cloth, when with a swirl it snaked into the air and fell to the floor. The stage was empty.
And all this performed with the utmost precision, and the utmost simplicity of method. Brillliant.
If you did see either father or son, that description will probably help you to decide..
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
That sounds familiar, but it was over 30 years ago! There was a final vanish, but I remember it being a hoop. He picked the hoop up and dropped it over his head where it dropped to the floor. As he picked it up and threw it over his head, he visibly vanished!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Cauan: Tarot cards and I.T. has nothing to do with black art. Google a little bit to see what black art is really about.

Chispuppets and ed rhodes.
You can find the answers to your questions and witness the act on YouTube:
Richard jr - witness the impossible 1985 - - (time) 35.30
chrispuppets
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of chrispuppets
Ed, I've just watched the Richardi Jr youtube link posted by John (for which many thanks). That is not Omah Pasha but Richardi Jnr doing Black Art. He would appear to have blatantly copied Omah Pasha's act, almost move for move, but the result is dissapointing, much slower paced, laboured, and technically not as well lit. The impression is of peering into the gloom which wasn't the case in the Pasha act.
The hoop you correctly recall Ed was used in fact for one of the previous vanishes. Gogia Pasha's own final vanish, and effectively copied by Richardi, used just the swirling cloth. Lovely.
Anyone really interested in GP act drop me an email and I'll post a private copy.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Thanks. Time is a terrible, but effective, editor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Black Art (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL