The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Popular Children's Books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
In this months Magic Magazine(Feb.), There is a great routine to be performed with the popular children's book... "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" by Laura Joffe Numeroff. I am going to be perofrming several story-time shows (a childrens book reading and a few magic tricks to promote learning magic through books) at a local Barnes & Noble Bookstore and thought this would be a perfect routine to share with the kids. I have been thinking of putting together a half-hour program featuring other popular kids books... Does anyone have any other suggestions on this topic? I have a "Three Blind Mice" Cups and Balls routine that include a suprise load of three live mice under each cup in the end... it is a project in the works... I would love to do some Dr. Suess stories or maybe other more familiar stories....

Magically,
Bryan
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Bryan,

Great timing! I teach part time at an elementary school and ironically just today all the staff had their pictures taken for a large display in the front hall. Each staff member is shown holding their favorite book when they were children.(Mine was Dr. Dolittle) Later in the week, many children will add pictures of themselves holding their favorite book. This is to promote our "Hooked on Books" reading program at school.

I'll keep track of what appears to be the most popular and get back to your post later in the week.

Chrystal
ThePartyMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, UK
216 Posts

Profile of ThePartyMagician
Lemony Snicket's 'Series of Unfortunate Events' series could be good ones to use. You could have a 'series of incredible magic tricks'...

Also, the Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer are quite popular over here in the UK, and may be good ones to adapt to fit certain effects. Not sure if you have them over with you though.

Kind regards
Mike
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7405 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Bryan -

You may wish to get a copy of Mark Daniel's video, "Book Magic." (Mark is the organizer of the KidAbra Conference.) You can get it from Samuel Patrick Smith. Ask me for a link if you need one.

Although I don't have this video, as I understand it, it is all about popular children's books, and routines illustrating them. Dr. Suess included.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
The most important thing is not to 'shoehorn' the magic into the books.

There is nothing worse then watching a magic show where they trick is 'tacked onto' the story just because they both happen to share a character or prop.

I was thinking of doing an Alice in Wonderland show with an assistant who plays Alice and myself as the 'narrator'. The children come up and play various parts as the story proceeds.
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Bryan,

For those of us wuthout this issue, can you explain the effect a little?

Thanks,
Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
alson
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of alson
You could of course do some Harry Potter stuff if age group you are performing for is that age.Gene Anderson does a cute thing with a die box ,using the Old Mother Hubert and her dog . Jack and The Gaint ,up the bean pole ,can thik of all kinds
of ideas with that. I do a thing with Hickey Dickey Dock the mouse climb up the clock.Hope you cna use some of the ideas.
Alson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Popular Children's Books (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL