The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Osterlind Products (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
On 2005-02-16 17:21, Gianni wrote:
Quote:
I think this is the consensus of those of us with the deck. It's a shame, because the effect is nice, but not if you are holding your breath that the cards acted properly.

Gianni

Exactly. It’s a shame because the deck is beautiful and the concept clever.
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
Quote:
On 2005-02-16 16:54, enriqueenriquez wrote:
... maybe only my copy, but the plastic cards of the Mind’s Eye Deck never worked properly.

Thank GOD you said that...I thought I was losing my mind! I had used fanning powder and trimmed, even corner rounded the deck to see if it would solve it...but no. (phew!)

I'm REALLY looking forward to Richard's effect now.
Living at and loving Loch Ness!
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Tom,

You won’t regret getting ODDS. It’s really as great as has been said here.
ScottLeavitt
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of ScottLeavitt
Just received...beauty in its simplicity will let you focus on presentation.
discjockey
View Profile
Elite user
451 Posts

Profile of discjockey
I've also had too much trouble with the minds eye deck. no matter how much I instructed the spectators, it always screwed up. oh well
chanor
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
150 Posts

Profile of chanor
There is a downside to every effect, such as difficult sleights, memory work, etc.
ODDS requires the latter. As one's repertoire builds, the lists increase with MOAB, Rainbow Effect, etc. Am I alone in having a sinking feeling when instructions surprise you with some "easy" memory work? B can mean many things when you have a large repertoire. The problem is that to be prepared you must have a perfect memory. The one item out of 26 you may have forgotten at the moment of need can leave you with egg on your face. I have a solution, in Inner Thought, under Memory Work.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2005-02-17 10:24, chanor wrote:
There is a downside to every effect, such as difficult sleights, memory work, etc.
ODDS requires the latter. As one's repertoire builds, the lists increase with MOAB, Rainbow Effect, etc. Am I alone in having a sinking feeling when instructions surprise you with some "easy" memory work? B can mean many things when you have a large repertoire. The problem is that to be prepared you must have a perfect memory. The one item out of 26 you may have forgotten at the moment of need can leave you with egg on your face. I have a solution, in Inner Thought, under Memory Work.

Chanor,

To answer your question, because of the nature of the test, that is, you are going to take a pad, retreat to a far section of the room and duplicate the design, a crib shett would be an easy matter somewhere in the pad, in your pocket, on your shirtsleeve (ask any teenager!)if you feel the memory work needs reinforcing.

Richard
B&B Magic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of B&B Magic
You could even have something similar to Max Maven's Contimental crib note, although I haven't had any difficulty with ODDS. I made up the cards, quizzed myself two or three times and it's all done. If I don't perform it for a while, I might review them a few minutes beforehand.
Try a quick visualization technique. Try to vividly (that means lots of color and details) imagine yourself drawing each and everyone of the pictures that you might encounter. Really see yourself drawing it. This should really help and is a key to quick memorization.

Brandon

Off topic here, but one of the most clever crib notes I've seen was a Mentos wrapper that had been printed on a color copier. The ingredients list contained all the answers to a test/magic effect/etc.
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
Here's a nice Idea I came up with when I first got the BCS and wanted to set up quickly, and it can work as a crib sheet. I wrote out the entire systim in letters and photo copyed it and reduced it to a size that I glued on the back of my business card, I now keep the card in my wallet.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-02-17 14:18, Richard Osterlind wrote:

Chanor,

To answer your question, because of the nature of the test, that is, you are going to take a pad, retreat to a far section of the room and duplicate the design, a crib shett would be an easy matter somewhere in the pad, in your pocket, on your shirtsleeve (ask any teenager!)if you feel the memory work needs reinforcing.

Richard

If you use an skecth pad, like the ones artist use, spiral bound, having the crib sheet is extremely easy and you can see it in front of your audience, while drawing.
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1415 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
I got the Ebook called Essays. Great thinking. The Osterlind Design Duplication System is fully explained. It is different from Mind's Eye Deck by Maven since the cards are related to words not pictures. You take a different path from there. I will have to make some changes in the cards since I work in French.
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
Quote:
On 2005-02-17 19:54, enriqueenriquez wrote:
If you use an skecth pad, like the ones artist use, spiral bound, having the crib sheet is extremely easy and you can see it in front of your audience, while drawing.

Enrique, are you using the ODDS in spanish?
How is it working for you?
Osterlind's keywords are great in english but in spanish some of them need to be modified.
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-02-18 08:11, Juan D wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-02-17 19:54, enriqueenriquez wrote:

Enrique, are you using the ODDS in spanish?
How is it working for you?
Osterlind's keywords are great in english but in spanish some of them need to be modified.

I will PM you.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Does the Ghost hanky use IT at all? I suspect it doesn't but just wanted to know.

Thanks

Candini
philipmac
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of philipmac
No the ghost hanky doesn't use IT at all.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks Phillip, Solid Ghost is going on my list right away.

http://www.wizardmagic.com/modules.php?n......p;lid=20

Here is a video link to the Glorpy Hank....

Is your Solid Ghost look similar to the way this moves Richard?
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
457 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
The Solid Ghost has a different methodology than "Glorpy" (which is mentioned on our website) and looks quite different. For example, the apparently solid object that forms in the handkerchief stays there with the performer not touching the hank at all. What's more, in Richard's routine, a spectator's hand is brought down on the form to feel its solidity - not possible with "Glorpy."

Regarding that video clip, how much do you figure they had to pay The Beatles for the rights to use "A Hard Day's Night"? What a shame...

Jim Sisti
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
In my opinion, Glorpy works really great with something like a "writing" effect such as demonstrated on Banachek's video. Max Maven once did a seance on TV where one of the spectators was wearing a "scarf" that he used in a similar way.

The SOLID GHOST, on the other hand, is really a different effect altogether. I have seen some people try to "roll around" Glorpy, but it never look half as convincing as the SG. It really looks like you have a baseball or softball under it if you do it right!

Richard
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

It sounds extremely good!
adrien
View Profile
New user
Paris
32 Posts

Profile of adrien
Thanks for the reply candini!
but John Cornelius' effect is performed on a table and the "ghost" do appear to be solid : you can roll it like a ball and tap it with the bowl of aspoon.
All you need is a borrowed handkechief.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Osterlind Products (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL