The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge balls and cups and balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2489 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Ive done cards for long time and bought sponge balls and cups and balls
I only know 1 routine for each of these and don't have money for dvd's at the moment cans um1 give me a link to 1 simple routine or 2 whatever you want.. it would be evry welcome or just pm me cause I'm evry interested in both of these thingies:) thank you very much!
"He must be content to rank with the common herd." - S.W. Erdnase
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
I really doubt you will find what you are looking for for free on the internet.

I strongly suggest you get Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic (check e-bay), or the Carl Andrews' Table Hooping Cups & Balls DVD (which also explains his Sponge Balls routine titled "Ain't No More".

Ronnie Lemieux
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
Both Cups and Balls and Spongeballs are wonderful in that you can create any routine you like once you learn the basic moves.

If you know a routine with spongeballs I imagine you know how to "hold out" and perform a simple vanish. Experiment with different ways of revealing the vanished ball.

For Cups and Balls, if you only know the basic Penetration sequence, you will need to find a resource to teach you other moves so you can flesh out an advanced routine. I recommend "25 Tricks with Cups and Balls" or for a really complete experience "The Complete Cups and Balls" by Michael Ammar. Since you said you don't have money for DVDs...I'll give you a hint here:

The vanish you likely use for spongeballs can be used with the small balls for C&B. The way you setup for the penetration sequence can be used to set up for "returning" a ball vanished in this method.

You may PM me for more help but I'm not sure how much I can teach through this forum. Books and videos really will be the best way to go, but I'll try to help as much as I can, since I completely understand the concept of restricted budgeting.

Joe
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Michael,

I also understand the problems of the underfunded. It's tuff to learn magic if you can't perform to earn money to pay for the magic you need to learn or acquire.

The Carl Andrews Video mentioned above is very good. If you can pick it up used, do so. I have it and still go back to it from time to time to pick up other bits to use in my routines.

By way of help, you can use the sponge balls as final loads for the cups and that can lead you into the sponge ball routine. THe Andrew's routine is very clever and commecial. However, since most of my shows are not done at a table, but family oriented. I try to make the child doing the trick with me the star. everything happens in thier hands.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2489 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Thank you very much all the name is michiel btw Smile(dutch Smile )
I really appreciate al of your help hehe but I don't know any of the moves just the penetration thing with cups and balls and with spongeballs a simple 1+1=3 thingy:(
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I have often found that my local library has some surprising books on magic. They even carried the Mark Wilson Course on Magic, which contains pretty much everything you may be looking for.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2489 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Yes but I don't live in america or whatever Smile

AND.... there r very few magic shops here which makes it extra hard Smile Smile
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Michiel,
I just received in the mail a wonderful C&B routine booklet. Price was only $10 US.

Go to this site

It comes highly recommended, and teaches some subtleties in loading I haven't seen in print before.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2489 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Thanks and btw you have a dutch name;) heheh
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
I just ordered a copy of that book, too. Thanks for the tip, Dave.
Pete Biro's endorsement was the selling point for me!
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2489 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
With ordinary cups and balls can you also do 3 card monte hehe don't know english name for cups and balls mionte:P
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Hello Michiel:

There are a number of people in the Netherlands who build magic props. Auke van Dokkum in Urk, for example, makes some of the finest cups anywhere. And there is Eddy Taytelbaum in van der Haag, who makes wonderful small props -- but very expensive.

You may have to go to Germany to find any large shops, though. It might be worth a trip to Essen to see Theo Böhm's shop.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2489 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Waaauw thank you very much ill surely contact them:) and you knew all the places aswell awesome!!(they r 1 heck away from me but holland is very small so;))

can you do that gambling game with just 3 cups and 1 ball(or 3 balls don't even know how it works I know 3 card monte but I'm com,pletely new with cups and balls and spongeballs::)
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
Quote:
On 2005-02-11 12:15, MichielTummers wrote:
Waaauw thank you very much ill surely contact them:) and you knew all the places aswell awesome!!(they r 1 heck away from me but holland is very small so;))

can you do that gambling game with just 3 cups and 1 ball(or 3 balls don't even know how it works I know 3 card monte but I'm com,pletely new with cups and balls and spongeballs::)

Sounds like you're talking about the 3 Shell Game. It can be done with Cups and Balls, but you'll likely use a different principle. Personally, I don't like challenging my spectators like that too often, because it comes across as kind of arrogant, and then you get people who'll blurt out ideas of how it's done. Better to amaze and entertain than challenge and confuse.
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is a version of this that uses three cups and a ball, but it's not as easy to work with or as entertaining as the shell game.

Here is another Dutch resource for magic, both in shops and on line:
http://magic.pagina.nl/
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Tilman
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Tilman
Hi Michiel,

You do not have to live in the USA in order to find libraries that have magic books. The library of the Universiteit van Amsterdam, for example, has an excellent collection of magic books (mostly 1930-1960 was my impression when having a superficial look at their catalogue) - possibly the best collection in the Netherlands that is accessible to the general public. I can only imagine that one of their teachers or librarians must have been an amateur magician and used his position to influence acquisitions. Even a search for 'cups and balls' delivers results.
You can find the catalogue at:

http://centauri.ic.uva.nl:8080/IMPLAND=N......E//DB=1/

If you want to search nationwide, you may want to use the Nederlandse Centrale Catalogus. You find it here:

http://www.pica.nl/cgi-bin/wwwobn2psi?DB=2.4&LNG=NE

You will need a password, however. You can get one at your nearest university library or perhaps even at your local public library.

Of course, if you know beforehand what you are looking for, you can search these catalogues much more effectively. So it would be a good idea to first look up relevant titles and then look for them.
There were excellent bibliographies (both for sponge ball magic and the cups and balls) at the following site ("magic reference page"), but it does not seem to be on the web at present. Perhaps you can check again in a few days.

http://magicref.tripod.com/My%20Document......gic0.htm

A very incomplete bibliography for the cups and balls can be found here:

http://thecupsandballs.mysite.wanadoo-me......ge7.html

A good way to learn about more recent routines (acquisition of magic books by university and public libraries has gone downhill over the last years in the Netherlands) is to join a magic club. You will find a list of Dutch clubs at

http://www.goochelen-nmu.nl/start.html (choose 'goochelen' on top and then 'goochelclub' on the bottom of the page)

I have not joined a club in the Netherlands, so unfortunately I cannot recommend any. But as you will see on the above website, some of them even have libraries which may be a good resource for you to explore.

Lastly, a search in the Café will show you that some members have posted videoclips of their performances of the cups and balls (not so sure for sponge ball magic) or of individual moves. You can learn a great deal from watching these clips.

I hope this helps.
Good luck! Tilman

Hi, just saw that I had a link to the magic reference page that worked. It is

http://magicref.tripod.com/magic0.htm
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2489 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Wooo you r the best haha can you speak dutch btw or do you have MSN?:)
magicandrew
View Profile
New user
Australia
58 Posts

Profile of magicandrew
Try put the sponge balls together with the cups and balls. Some very nice routines are possible. If you want pm me for more details.
""Magic is your art handle it well""
Sean
View Profile
Regular user
No Cal
200 Posts

Profile of Sean
I recommend the Mark Wilson book, which has a great Cups and Balls routine and a lengthy sponge ball routine. (And a lot more great magic!) Since funding is a problem, check ebay for the book or Amazon.com, either the US or UK sites. You can get the book for about $12 US from Amazon. A quick search on eBay shows several copies starting at about $3.50 US.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Even better would be two books by Laurie Ireland. One is called The Sponge Book and the other is Ireland's Original Cup and Ball Routines. Ireland was one of the early proponents of using sponge balls in the cups and balls.

However, I would warn you against making up a combination routine that takes too much time. When you do this, you run the risk of either confusing or boring the spectators, neither of which is magical.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge balls and cups and balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL